10,888290467 (4.03)1 / 446
In the town of Kingsbridge, a Gothic cathedral and the priory are at the center of a web of love and hate, greed and pride, ambition and revenge. Proponents of the old ways fiercely battle those with progressive minds, as the Black Death captures the city.
Recently added bysyzygydigic, lonewolfcub, ednasilrak, Ashley_Hoss_820, private library, RSi, Rennie80, Behringer96

English (246)  Spanish (10)  German (7)  French (7)  Catalan (5)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Finnish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (288)
This is not as good as The Pillars of the Earth, but it is still one solid gem of a novel folks. While I wanted more of Jack and Aleina and their mentions made me miss the more, but Caris and Merthin are almost as good. I loved seeing all the parallels between the characters in this book and the characters in Pillars. I also have a teacher who absolutely loves the black plague. She says it's her favourite disease to study so I liked knowing a lot about it before going into the book and learning more. Follett's historical accuracy is admirable in this series. I'm not going to write some long review as I did for Pillars because there's not much more that I can say about this that does not apply to the prequel. While my emotions were not as intense, I loved the characters. I liked that the big villains were related to the protagonists and therefore had some will they/won't they be good tension in the beginning, but I did miss an all-out evil powerhouse like William of Hamleigh, though Ralph was a good substitute. The same can be said for all of the characters. This is one of the few instances where more of the same is good because you can get all the feels and if you want, you could even substitute names for characters from Pillars and it would be like reading au fanfiction written by the author. Ken Follett is great and I'm excited to read the third installment in this series. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Fantastic book! One of my favorite in a long time. Three of the worst villains of all time - Godwyn, Pilamon and Ralph. Three of the best heroes of all time - Merthin, Caris and Gwenda. I loved all of their stories and how they intertwined. Better than the Pillars if the Earth in my opinion! ( )
  navyjoe98 | Dec 30, 2020 |
World Without End is an extremely long story. The descriptions of the setting are all believable. The characters are all credible. A lot of research by the author was done in order to write the story. Ironically, the descriptions of the characters reaction to the plague and how to protect oneself are quite familiar with today's handling of the Corona virus by our current administration even though the book was published many years before today's virus. The conclusion of the book had a familiarity of being influenced by the Star Wars saga whether it was intentional or not by the author. It was given three stars here because the story just went on and on for 91 chapters. ( )
  lbswiener | Nov 19, 2020 |
It takes a lot of effort to build a story world of this magnitude, and Ken Follett is obviously a master builder (the main characters are a master builder and a nun -- see what I did there?). So, if your cup of tea is the historical drama with multiple storylines, the A story being about the challenges that face the two main protagonists who are meant to be together but are pulled apart constantly by circumstances beyond their control, then this book is for you.

If you're afraid that you have to read the first brick of a book in this series, fear not. This is a completely different story that has been set in a different era. The characters may have descended from the characters in the first book, but their stories are their own. Sort of. The characters and situations have a lot in common with the characters and situations of the first book, maybe too much feels similar. Where Follett shines is his historical authenticity.

Mild spoiler:

This story takes place in the 1300's during the time of a plague, and I happened to finish it during the 2020 plague. Follett gets high marks for unintentionally reminding me that our human capacity to "learn from the past" is severely lacking. But that's nothing more than an observation of coincidence. A book published over 10 years ago, about a mid 1300’s plague bears striking similarities to the behaviors of the people of modern day. Again, maybe too much.

Be forewarned. The book contains situations involving rape, so if you're sensitive to those kinds of storylines, you might not like it here. Also, there are enough scene descriptions about women that are clearly written from a man's point of view, and might have some women rolling their eyes. But I've read worse. Far worse. And the main villain, much like the main villain in the first book, is lacking complexities when it comes to what drives him. But I found him more complex than his doppelgänger in the first book, so that's a good thing. ( )
  CaseyAdamsStark | Aug 18, 2020 |
Satisfying! Even after 920 pages I didn't want it to end! ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
For Barbara
Gwenda was eight years old, but she was not afraid of the dark.
Please distinguish Ken Follett's original 2007 novel, World Without End from any abridged audio edition of the complete work. Thank you.
5.25 in discs

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,049,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible