11,460296473 (4.04)1 / 448
Two centuries after the building of the elaborate Gothic cathedral in Kingsbridge, its prior finds himself at the center of a web of ambition and revenge that places the city at a crossroad of commerce, medicine, and architecture.

English (251)  Spanish (10)  German (7)  French (7)  Catalan (5)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Finnish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (293)
Una lectura sumamente recomendable. La trama nunca pierde fuerza y es un libro largo. Los detalles cierran, nada esta al azar. Los personajes son convincentes y realmente evolucionan para bien o para mal. Lo senti mas intenso que el anterior que recuerdo con cariño, volvi a estar en esa epoca. No podia dejar de leerlo me saco varias emociones. Que buen escritor es Ken Follet. ( )
  Enzokolis | Jan 17, 2022 |
Wow it was really awful to live during the middle ages. After the first big rape scene I was over it.
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
Boring, repetitive. A rehash of "Pillars of the Earth," with the same basic plot and the same characters under new names. Bloated. I've read several big, long books (including "Pillars," which I gave 5 stars) and enjoyed them, and I can tell you that this book did NOT need to be 1000 pages long. ( )
  FiraHunter | Nov 14, 2021 |
[b:The Pillars of the Earth|5043|The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1)|Ken Follett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1576956100l/5043._SY75_.jpg|3359698] was quite a ride of historical fiction, introducing us the people of a small English city of Kingsbridge in the 12th century. When I learned that there was a sequel ([b:World Without End|5064|World Without End (Kingsbridge, #2)|Ken Follett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1509545511l/5064._SY75_.jpg|2845518]) set in the same town but hundreds of years later, I was intrigued. A timeskip with the same setting but different (descended) characters hundreds of years later isn't something I've often seen and it's fascinating when done well. Add in that World Without End is set during the years of the Plague... I was intrigued.

For the most part, World Without End did well. It has big shoes to fill following up to Pillars of the Earth. In comparison, the building seems smaller (a bridge and a tower instead of the entire cathedral), the conflicts seem smaller and more petty, and the characters feel more anachronistic. There are any number of times when I wonder if people of the time period were really that 'modern' or is that an invention of Follett.

Characterwise, there wasn't a Phillip, which was a bummer. For the most part, all of the monks this time around were corrupt or non-entities. And not even subtly so. The Evil Earl isn't quite as evil as William and I mostly don't understand how he can be so thick and not get shot in the back long before by his own men.

Of the main characters and the big romances through the whole thing... eh. Caris annoyed me thoroughly with her inability to actually take a stand one way or another Merthin pined for Caris through the years, although for a while at least he got away from it all.

“I don’t have a plan, you fool. I just know I don’t want to have a baby.”

“So you don’t have a plan, and I’m a fool and a weakling. Do you want anything from me?”

“No!”

“Then what are you doing here?”

“Don’t be so logical!”

I don't get it. I feel they could be so much happier otherwise.

Wulfric is solid and simple, but not too bright. Gwenda ... tries? There is no one that I cared for nearly as much as I did for Philip and even Jack and his family the first time around. It weakens what was Pillars of the Earth's real strength.

Knowing that the Plague happened during the years of this book was interesting. I kept waiting for it to show up and when it did and people started falling left and right, there was just the right amount of the feeling of hopelessness, along with annoyance at the monks and their medical practices of the time.

And the subplot with Thomas and the mysterious letter, right from the first pages? Based on a mostly real thing Fieschi Letter and a real person (Sir Thomas Gurney, there was a real but not related Thomas Langley at the time), but mostly fictionalized. And in the end... did that plotline even matter? At least in Pillars of the Earth we got more closure.

So it goes. Still a fascinating read. I'm really curious to see where [b:A Column of Fire|33571713|A Column of Fire (Kingsbridge, #3)|Ken Follett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1498850103l/33571713._SY75_.jpg|50861690] takes Kingsbridge, right in the middle of the Protestant Reformation. It has potential. And a currently unpublished prequel [b:The Evening and the Morning|48503963|The Evening and the Morning|Ken Follett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1580527286l/48503963._SY75_.jpg|73816656], set at the end of the Dark Ages. It's making me want to find and read other historical fiction. The real world can be as strange and interesting as any fantastical world. A good thing to mix in. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
I had forgotten I had read this book before: I certainly didn't remember anything about it. There's a large cast of characters so some get a fairly shallow and superficial treatment, but the parts of the story about the plague certainly had a resonance they might not have outside the current pandemic. ( )
  mari_reads | Jul 7, 2021 |
For Barbara
Gwenda was eight years old, but she was not afraid of the dark.
Please distinguish Ken Follett's original 2007 novel, World Without End from any abridged audio edition of the complete work. Thank you.
5.25 in discs

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,597,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible