Dashiell Hammett: Complete Novels ( Red…

Dashiell Hammett: Complete Novels ( Red Harvest / The Dain Curse / The… (edition 1999)

by Dashiell Hammett (Author)

Member:hayes.esq
Title:Dashiell Hammett: Complete Novels ( Red Harvest / The Dain Curse / The Maltese Falcon / The Glass Key / The Thin Man )
Authors:Dashiell Hammett (Author)
Info:Library of America (1999), 967 pages

Dashiell Hammett Complete Novels: Red Harvest, The Dain Curse, The Maltese Falcon, The Glass Key, and The Thin Man (Library of America #110) by Dashiell Hammett

YMMV, but I found this difficult to get into. I love the movie versions of the Maltese Falcon, etc.,so this came as a a surprise. ( )
  MFazekas99 | Sep 15, 2020 |
The Maltese Falcon and The Thin Man rate an extra star. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
A great collection of five novels by Dashiell Hammett. The book is organized chronologically, starting with the two Continental Op novels, going on to the Maltese Falcon, continuing with the Glass Key, and culminating with The Thin Man. The paper is thin and seems to be rather fragile, but perhaps I am just overthinking it. It might also be that this is merely how the publisher wanted it to be.

I originally got this from the Library, but I couldn't finish the whole book in the allotted time so I obtained copies of each of the five novels and read them in order. The language used really brings you into the environment that the author is attempting to get across, and is a masterful beginning to the Crime/ Noir genres of mysteries.

All throughout it reminded me of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" only to have me remind myself multiple times of what actually came first. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Read The Maltese Falcon 5/31/19. Reviewed in a different edition.
  Dreesie | May 31, 2019 |
Writing this as I read each novel.

The Thin Man: rollicking, witty fun. As great as the film. 5/5
Red Harvest: outstanding masterwork of detective fiction, possibly an influence for Kurosawa's Yojimbo; definitely influenced many. Fantastic. 5/5
The Dain Curse: lots of in and outs with this one. I liked it but not as much as THM and RH. It bogged down a little for me near the end. Gabrielle just wasn't very interesting. 4.5/5
The Maltese Falcon: It's funny (to me). Even though I prefer the 1931 film to the Humphrey Bogart version (blasphemy, I know!), I can't read The Maltese Falcon without hearing and seeing Bogie and friends (except for Mary Astor--she's one of the reasons I find the 1941 film weaker). Anyway, while I get a little tired of Hammett's adjective strings in this one, I still love it. 5/5
And finally. The Glass Key. This is my least favorite novel of the batch. I found Ned Beaumont to be the dullest of Hammett's protagonists, and Hammett's writing style to be very dry and tedious. It didn't hold my interest well at all, although it had its moments. It's another influence on Kurosawa. 3.25/5

Rating for the whole collection: 4.55/5 ( )
  MFenn | Apr 22, 2018 |

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,499,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible