Alone Together: Love, Grief, and Comfort in the Time of COVID-19

by Jennifer Haupt (Editor)

Other authors: Faith Adiele (Contributor), Kwame Alexander (Contributor), Jenna Blum (Contributor), Andre Dubus III (Contributor), W. Ralph Eubanks (Contributor)14 more, Jamie Ford (Contributor), Nikki Giovanni (Contributor), Pam Houston (Contributor), Major Jackson (Contributor), Jean Kwok (Contributor), Devi S Laskar (Contributor), Caroline Leavitt (Contributor), Ada Limon (Contributor), Dani Shapiro (Contributor), David Sheff (Contributor), Garth Stein (Foreword), Luis Alberto Urrea (Contributor), Steve Yarbrough (Contributor), Lidia Yuknavitch (Contributor)

01/21 (1) 2020 (1) ARC (1) ebook (1) essays (2) goodreads (1) medicine (1) memoir (1) non-fiction (3) self-help (1) to-read (3)

This book really spoke to me on an intimate personal level. It helped me to feel that I’m not alone with my feelings during this pandemic. It was great to see that I am not alone in feeling angry, sad, scared, anxious. I love the mixture of essay, poems, interviews. Wonderful. I could not put it down, highly recommended. ( )
  IanFisher | May 23, 2021 |
I didn't end up reading all of the selections in this book, mostly because I don't generally love poetry. My favorite part of this book is the way the authors tell stories so quickly. I felt like I could get my bearings easily, helping me connect my circumstances to these people I have never met and will never meet. Each story, whether in the love, grief, or comfort section, had traces of each emotion and situation. This really is a complex time to be alive, but seeing how things can be all three things at once gives me a little more hope.

I found this e-book to be easy to get, even with the recent release date. I'd recommend it to those who are comfortable accepting the present situations, if you still live in the past tense this isn't the book for you. The grief stories seemed to encapsulate the same feel as memories I've heard people tell of when they first heard about 9/11. The moment when things seem real is important to record, even if it is hard. This book will be applicable even after COVID-19 stops being a high-priority issue. ( )
  Emma.June.Lyon | Feb 23, 2021 |
This collection of short stories and poems are touching, filled with tons of emotions, and all together moving. The way this book is formatted is that it is broken out into sections...love, grief, and comfort. There were several stories and or poems that I connected towards better then others. Yet no matter whether I "loved" or "liked" a story or poem is besides the point.

The overall importance of this collection is that it showed that no matter what walk of life we come from; we are all connected. If you are an introvert or extrovert, during this pandemic you realize that family, friends, and human interaction are very much needed. Just a smile or to have a conversation with someone in person can make some one's day. This book is worth your time to read. If anything I think this book is very appropriate for present times. ( )
  Cherylk | Sep 3, 2020 |
"Pick up your pen and write. Pick up a book and read. Engage in your world; do not shrink from it." - Garth Stein

I'm excited to be sharing ALONE TOGETHER: Love, Grief & Comfort During the Time of COVID-19 as a part of Kate Rock Book Tours. This collection of essays, interviews & poems about the authors' experiences during the pandemic comes out September 1st. All proceeds go to @thinkingbinc, a nonprofit that benefits the bookselling community.

"In telling our stores, we hope to enable you to tell your story. That's the sweet spot of connections, where the healing happens." - Jennifer Haupt

ALONE TOGETHER is divided into five sections: What Now?, Grieve, Comfort, Connect & Don't Stop & focuses on how isolation & uncertainty is changing us as individuals & a society.

"So many of us, across political, racial, and socioeconomic lines, are grieving, but the question is how we'll deal with it all. Will it paralyze us or motivate us?" - David Sheff

I wasn't sure I was ready to read about Covid. Books are usually an escape for me & I worried this might add to my stress but it did the opposite. It helped to read about how others felt and their hope and optimism in the midst of this universal struggle.

"How are we going to make our blues beautiful? It's all about perspective." - Kwame Alexander

There are 91 authors in the ebook & audiobook (with 69 in the print book) & each viewpoint is enlightening in its own way.

"We grieve the chance to celebrate those we love in what used to be the big moments in life, in the time before every moment of life itself seemed so big." - Meg Waite Clayton

ALONE TOGETHER left me feeling that although our lives are now divided into before Covid & after, there's a good chance that our new world will be one that has positives we never imagined.

"We had very busy lives that would sometimes pull us in different directions, but in this period of lockdown, we have learned to make time for each other again." - Jean Kwok

Thank you to Kate Rock Book Tours, NetGalley, Central Avenue Publishing & author for an ARC to review. ( )
  ReadingIsMyCardio | Sep 1, 2020 |
This book is a collection of essays, poems and interviews from over 90 authors and poets about how COVID 19 has affected them and their lives. The essays are a powerful testament to the unprecedented times that the world is going through collectively. Some of essays made me laugh and some made me cry, just like life right now. It was wonderful to read these pieces of literature to remind me that I'm not alone in my feelings of loss - loss of freedom, loss of friends and family and a loss of the life we were living before the pandemic struck.

ALONE TOGETHER is divided into five sections: What Now?, Grieve, Comfort, Connect, And Don't Stop. The main theme is how this age of isolation and uncertainty is changing us as individuals and a society. It's a connection for those of us who are depressed about what is going on and fearful of the changes that may occur in our futures. I was crushed by the essays that spoke of family members and friends who had died from COVID19 and the essays about people who lived by themselves and were truly alone. I was uplifted by the people who were helping their neighbors by buying groceries or baking for them. I was happy to see all of the ways that people were using to connect with other people. But most of all, I was relieved to know that others were feeling the same sense of loss and confusion, the same worries about the future and their loved ones as I am. The book left me with a feeling of connection to others as we al struggle on a daily basis and hope and pray for a better future for the world. ( )
  susan0316 | Aug 14, 2020 |

Urrea, Luis AlbertoContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yarbrough, SteveContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuknavitch, LidiaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weisnewski, AilsaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,372,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible