Faultland : A Novel

by Suzy Vitello

3520558,350 (3.41)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I just finished this book today. It isn't my usual reading material as I tend to stay away from dystopian novels. But..I gave it a try.

It is a good read. Well written. The author manages to keep track of multiple narrators and situation well. I believe the author portrayed a lot of the fears for the future coming true.

Unfortunately there were enough narrators that none of them got a chance to really evolve as we read. Even at the end when one of the bad guys ended up helping. There wasn't really enough to make sense of it. Or of the father. In short, the characters were all shorted in development.

And yet- I liked how it ended. Even if the character development was more told than shown.

A decent read. ( )
  literatefool | Jun 17, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I recommend this topical and affecting novel of a near future Portland, Oregon. Rich in characterization, it features members of a dysfunctional family trying to survive after a massive earthquake devastates the city. The growth of the characters along with the authoritarian regime under which they live and revelations tying the family's past to present circumstances make for a compelling read. ( )
  KAzevedo | Jun 7, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free e-copy of this book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, in exchange for an honest review.

Two basic facts affect my review: 1) dystopian lit is not a favorite genre, but 2) I grew up in Portland, Oregon, where the novel is set. So, these two factors play off one another throughout my reading. The characters themselves, most of them members of the Sparrow family, are each unlikable in their own particular ways. This is actually fine, and it's fun to get to know each of them through their own eyes and as they are each viewed by the others. The book is set in the not very distant future, and it's also interesting and a bit chilling to note the extent to which Right Wing militias have come to influence civic life. But the big actor is the occurrence of a significant earthquake in Portland, and how the characters strive not only to survive but to uncover family issues and secrets that have lain dormant for years. For readers who are Portlanders, the earthquake that "might be" is a source of frequent speculation and anxiety. So that gave the book an urgency to ME that might not trigger a non-local reader in the same way. Same goes for all of the geographical and cultural name-dropping. It drew me in (" I KNOW that place!"), but would be meaningless to many others. It's a fast read, and compelling enough to be called a page turner. I didn't LIKE the characters, but I did want to find out what happened next. I would recommend. ( )
  LisbethE | May 8, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What an interesting premise!! I mostly enjoyed reading this book. I found the future created to be intriguing, although some of the aspects could have been more fleshed out. It was a quick read and I definitely wanted to find out what happened to the characters.

*I received a digital copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  HMcEndree | May 4, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A devastating earthquake hits Portland in the year 2030. The earthquake instantly kills, injuries and cuts off many from clean water, food and medical help. Among the survivors are the dysfunctional Sparrow family. Eldest sibling, Olivia, the keeper of the family trauma, is attempting to get out of downtown and back to her daughter and family home. Sherman, owner of a dispensary bed and breakfast and Morgan, the family risk taker are both at the family home taking care of their aging father, Clyde along with Olivia's daughter, Melanie and Clyde's nurse, Wanda when the quake hits. The unlikely team of survivors now must make decisions that impact others as well as themselves. While they are trying to sort through the trauma, the Sparrows uncover the source of their family strife, a secret that their family kept for decades that hurt many others along the way.

Faultland is an unexpected family drama that slowly unfolds after a major earthquake Portland. Set ten years in the future, the consequences of the current COVID-19 pandemic and fallout from the Trump presidency play a large part in how the world now works. It was interesting to see how this impacted daily life in the not too distant future. Faultland is carried by the characters. None of the characters are especially good, and I didn't find myself rooting for anyone in particular. The earthquake forced the Sparrow siblings to come to terms with their childhood and make decisions for the greater good that they would have never made before. The secret that Clyde had kept had far reaching effects. The author weaves parts of the secret through the story through the memories of each character so that it seems more important to their personal stories than the whole at first and does not fully connect till the end.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Apr 5, 2021 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Suzy Vitello's book Faultland is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Suzy Vitello is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,422,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible