Project Hail Mary: A Novel by Andy Weir

Project Hail Mary: A Novel (edition 2021)

by Andy Weir (Autor)

Member:mansonlib
Title:Project Hail Mary: A Novel
Authors:Andy Weir (Autor)
Info:Ballantine Books (2021), 496 pages
Collections:Stored, Your library

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

This is a welcome return after the abysmal Artemis. The style and story is very similar to the Martian and I don't mind. The characters are weak (except the protagonist) which is why it's good they are relegated to flashbacks and the only other character is an alien. The best and most original alien concept I've ever read. The ending is disappointingly saccharine. Wish we saw what devastation was wrecked on Earth instead. ( )
  Paul_S | Jun 16, 2021 |
My first five star review of the year. That says it all. ( )
  mysterymax | Jun 14, 2021 |
I loved this. I love Grace. I love Rocky. I love their relationship. I love their flaws.

And Ray Porter did an excellent job bringing them to life. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Jun 9, 2021 |
Loved it. ( )
  KerryD1971 | Jun 6, 2021 |
Writing in the first person frequently results in a succession of sentences with similar beginnings; “I this …”, “I that …”. However, in ‘Project Hail Mary’, Andy Weir shows a command of that writing style by not only beginning every sentence differently but by doing so in an interesting and easy reading manner.

The ‘Project Hail Mary’ story is about Doctor Ryland Grace who, as the story begins, works as a middle school science teacher after having been washed out of academia due to the ridicule he received for positing that planet life could begin without water. That theory, largely proved correct by current events, results in his recruitment to head up an international science team whose mission is to combat a microbial plague threatening Earth’s continued existence as a habitable planet. These microbes are feeding off of the sun’s energy thus diminishing radiant light reaching the earth.

Despite his innate aversion to taking personal risks, he is sent by force on a one-way suicide mission to Tau Ceti, one of several nearby plague-infested stars. The microbial cells making up the infestation are used for rocket fuel as their massive energy stores can be easily released in a controlled way for interstellar propulsion. At the end of the voyage, the ship’s computer awakens him from a medically induced coma. Initially, Grace cannot remember who he is or where he is but soon finds that he is on a spaceship and is the sole survivor. Memory flashes come to him over the ensuing days. Those memories coupled with his innate scientific curiosity led him to remember his name and his mission which is to find out why the Tau Ceti sun has not lost any of its luminosity as a result of the interstellar microbial plague. No sooner does he start his scientific observations than he comes across an alien ship searching for the same thing. Befriending the only surviving alien crew member of that ship, a highly talented engineer, the two set out together to find the reason for Tau Ceti’s survival.

Soon they discover the difference between Tau Ceti’s star system and the other infected star systems. Making that discovery necessitates the taking of risks that ultimately compromises their combined ability to survive. The gathered information is ultimately sent back to earth by loading microbial samples of a phage-eating predator along with Doctor Grace’s mission and research notes into an earth-bound robotic messenger rocket that was attached to his spaceship to be used for that purpose. Grace then migrates to his new alien friend’s planet delivering the predator microbes and the scientific knowledge needed to combat their own solar system’s infection.

While the storyline may seem straightforward, Weir handles the suspenseful plot turns with captivating character dialog. Project Hail Mary merits its place on the bestseller list. ( )
  ronploude | Jun 5, 2021 |
For John, Paul, George, and Ringo
"What's two plus two?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,002,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible