Later (Hard case crime, 147) English Edition…

Later (Hard case crime, 147) English Edition (edition 2021)

by Stephen King (Author)

Fiction. Horror. Mystery. HTML:2022 MYSTERY AUDIE AWARD WINNER!
A BRAND-NEW NOVEL FROM LEGENDARY STORYTELLER STEPHEN KING!

SOMETIMES GROWING UP MEANS FACING YOUR DEMONS

The son of a struggling single mother, Jamie Conklin just wants an ordinary childhood. But Jamie is no ordinary child. Born with an unnatural ability his mom urges him to keep secret, Jamie can see what no one else can see and learn what no one else can learn. But the cost of using this ability is higher than Jamie can imagine??as he discovers when an NYPD detective draws him into the pursuit of a killer who has threatened to strike from beyond the grave.

Later is Stephen King at his finest, a terrifying and touching story of innocence lost and the trials that test our sense of right and wrong. With echoes of King's classic novel, It, Later is a powerful, haunting, unforgettable exploration of what it takes to stand up to evil in all the faces it wea
… (more)
Member:Nanos29
Title:Later (Hard case crime, 147) English Edition
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Titan Books (UK) (2021), Edition: 1, 272 pages

Work Information

Later by Stephen King

English (67)  French (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (73)
I generally start my SK books with a disclaimer: I don't like horror books (they scare me - duh). Later, however, written for a more delicate reader, me, was a lot of fun.

The protagonist is a young boy, Jamie, who lives with his single, struggling to make ends meet mom. Jamie, it turns out, not only sees dead people but can speak with them. Come to find out, at least in Later, the dead cannot tell a lie.

Later takes us through a few deaths, a couple are gruesome, but not in an I'm going to be scarred for life kind of way. SK tells the story superbly, through the eyes of young Jamie, his thoughts, his feelings, his childish ways - I could literally see and hear my own children when they were this age.

There is a zinger at the end that I think I may literally have said, "No way!" when I read it, but it in no way is what the book is about - don't read it waiting for this zinger, you will be disappointed.

Reading this lighter Stephen King novel allowed me to experience Mr. King's incredible style of writing in a way that doesn't leave me sleeping with the lights on; a win for me. ( )
  LyndaWolters1 | Apr 3, 2024 |
Another fantastic read from the great Stephen King. This is actually the first Hard Case novel I’ve read by him. Not at all what I expected. Definitely a lot more supernatural than I anticipated which was an awesome surprise. Great storyline, great characters, love how he ties up his endings without really closing the book on the whole story. King just proves again how talented his really is. ( )
  jbrownleo | Mar 27, 2024 |
King's newest has garnered many glowing reviews. If you are expecting anything of the kind then don’t read on. In fact, I may just have to go into hiding after having clicked the button. Well, let’s get to it. Stephen King's newest Later is simple, and not exactly refreshingly so. Coming from King I expected a bit more complexity. Much of his latest work including this here book on review and the one before, The Institute, is much more akin to a young adult novel albeit not being marketed as such. Gone seem to be times when he astonished us with a work of grandeur like The Stand, truly scared us with novels of haunted places like The Shining, or in equal measure perplexed and scared us with baddies like It's clown that could have come straight from hell.
What we are left with in Later is a score of admittedly well-rounded characters, if only moderately interesting as a whole. The protagonist is a teenager with supernatural ability just as in his last novel The Institute; the antagonist is a mere fading echo of the twisted, yet sophisticated souls of former King novels. The plot devoid of true twists and turns is easy to follow - a bit too easy even, one might say. Be that as it may, King is a pro and he knows how to write. Hell, I wished I could write like him.
Perhaps it's just that I have been waiting for some time now for him to deliver a novel that is in the mold of his former work. Looks like I am to wait a bit longer. And so I will. ( )
  nitrolpost | Mar 19, 2024 |
Wow. I've been reading King for decades and he just gets better with age. I am so glad to be in his world.

Every couple of years I get into a book funk where I can't find anything to satisfy no matter what I try--changing genres, trying new authors--nothing works. This is not the first funk he's drawn me out of and I know it won't be the last.

I also hope to find more books read by the narrator---Seth Numrich. There aren't many male narrators that I've appreciated and it's nice to find another one that isn't British. I know, I know--that's my personal demon to fight, but I can't help it. My ears love that accent.

Stellar job on both accounts makes a happy reader! ( )
  jazzbird61 | Feb 29, 2024 |
If you were to peek at my bookcase you will know that I am a big fan of Stephen King. I am the person who rereads IT every year in October just for fun. I am a big fan of the craft that is a book written by Stephen King. I really did enjoy this latest addition to the King catalog. The book once you start you will notice has familiar elements that hold to classic King novel. The big difference with this one is the added magic that is mystery and crime. I am not sure if any of the other books have that as I am still working my way through the catalog but I can say that I truly did enjoy this one.

There are familiar themes of a child forced to grow up and rely on himself in the face of less than stellar adults; supernatural powers are both a blessing and a curse. Always beautifully described so you can picture it all which is great. The fact that the protagonist is recalling his difficult childhood reminded me of other King books, but this one is more modern;

I was drawn into this story, even though the beginning is a little bit slower than some other crime novels. The action picks up later. I wish I could say I read this in one sitting buy I read it with a friend and we finished it in about four even though I am way behind writing this review. Now let’s talk about more things that are great. I love the way King describes his characters; so that the feelings and emotions of the characters seem so realistic, even when their abilities are supernatural. I really liked the ending too, even though there was something that I didn't see coming.

If you are a true Stephen King fan then I think you will love it. It is different and unique. Even if you haven’t read any of the classic King books this one is a solid read and worth the time for sure. It stands on its own well and is great. The only thing I wish about this book is that it was much longer. That being said this is a five-star read hands down.
  b00kdarling87 | Jan 7, 2024 |
These are the type of stories I love to read. I hope I can see your work in NovelStar. There are also a lot of talented writers in that platform. You may check their group on Facebook.
added by MarshaMellow | editLibraryThing.com, Marsha Mellow

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

There are only so many tomorrows. - Michael Landon
For Chris Lotts
I don't like to start with an apology -- there's probably even a rule against it, like never ending a sentence with a preposition -- but after reading over the thirty pages I've written so far, I feel like I have to.
Il n'y a rien de mieux que la présence d'une mère quand on a des trucs flippants dans la tête.
La vengeance n'a jamais payé les factures ni rempli le frigo.
Quand on a six ans et que c'est maman qui demande, on dirait oui à n'importe quoi. Sauf si elle nous commande d'aller au lit, naturellement. Ou de terminer notre assiette de brocolis.
J'ai découvert après que pas mal d'auteurs mouraient à leur table de travail. Une profession à risque, on dirait.
Une des pires choses quand on est gamin - peut-être même la pire de toutes - c'est la façon qu'ont les adultes de vous ignorer quand ils se noient dans leurs conneries.
First edition includes preview of Joyland by Stephen King.

Fiction. Horror. Mystery. HTML:2022 MYSTERY AUDIE AWARD WINNER!
A BRAND-NEW NOVEL FROM LEGENDARY STORYTELLER STEPHEN KING!

SOMETIMES GROWING UP MEANS FACING YOUR DEMONS

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,235,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible