I Promise by LeBron James

I Promise (edition 2020)

by LeBron James (Author)

2054108,995 (4.39)None
An Instant #1 New York Times Bestseller! An Instant Indie Bestseller!  *An Amazon Best Book of the Year * A B&N Best Book of the Year* A great gift for tiny go-getters and big dreamers! NBA champion and superstar LeBron James pens a slam-dunk picture book inspired by his foundation's I PROMISE program that motivates children everywhere to always #StriveForGreatness. Just a kid from Akron, Ohio, who is dedicated to uplifting youth everywhere, LeBron James knows the key to a better future is to excel in school, do your best, and keep your family close. I Promise is a lively and inspiring picture book that reminds us that tomorrow's success starts with the promises we make to ourselves and our community today. Featuring James's upbeat, rhyming text and vibrant illustrations perfectly crafted for a diverse audience by #1 New York Times bestselling and Geisel Honor winning artist Nina Mata, this book has the power to inspire all children and families to be their best. Perfect for shared reading in and out of the classroom, I Promise is also a great gift for graduation, birthdays, and other occasions. Plus check out the audiobook, read by LeBron James's mother and I Promise School supporter Gloria James!… (more)
Member:mayravelasco
Title:I Promise
Authors:LeBron James (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2020), Edition: Illustrated, 40 pages

Work Information

I Promise by LeBron James

LeBron James supports the “I Promise School” in Akron, Ohio, which is a public school primarily attended by low-income children. James’s foundation provides financial support for resources not only for children but for their parents. As the "New York Times" reports:

“Mr. James’s foundation covers the cost of all expenses in the school’s family resource center, which provides parents with G.E.D. preparation, work advice, health and legal services, and even a quarterly barbershop.”

Similarly to Geoffrey Canada and his groundbreaking educational efforts in Harlem, James is operating on the theory that the key for disadvantaged kids to succeed is to help create "a cocoon of support - educational support, emotional support, medical support – that starts at birth and never stops.”

This book for young children aged 4 and up is a “literary extension” of his school, and was designed to motivate children to work hard, be open to new things, ask questions, be kind, and “to reach for my star, even when I can’t see it.”

Many of the verses in this poem include basketball analogies:

“I promise to go to school and read as much as I can, to follow the rules and respect the game plan.”

The last promise in the book, taking up a double-page spread is:

“I promise to be me.”

LeBron James adds a note to the back of the book, stating: “Remember. Nothing is given. Everything is earned.”

The last page features a checklist of promises to which children can easily refer.

Illustrations by Nina Mata show a very diverse group of children and teachers joyfully engaged in affirming activities.

In an interview during the COVID lockdown, LeBron James stated:

“Kids and families are going through a lot . . . I hope this book can bring them some hope and positivity, and encourage them to keep pushing, because we will make it through this tough time.”

Elsewhere he explained:

"The purpose of these promises we make to ourselves and to each other, and that we're sharing with kids across the world in this book, is to tell them they can do anything they put their minds to if they commit to doing the hard work.”

Evaluation: LeBron James is so admired that it means a great deal for him to lend his prestige to these positive messages for children. I remember when I was in school we studied Benjamin Franklin’s prescriptions to succeed; these are more suitable for young children, more relevant, and more needed than ever. ( )
  nbmars | Aug 19, 2021 |
I had to read this book once I saw it was written by Lebron James. It’s a good book because it teaches kids to try to make a difference and also be the best they can be. I liked that he made it clear that education is really important!i could use this in my ELAR class while doing poetry because most of the sentences rhyme! ( )
1 vote Cwagner93 | Nov 20, 2020 |
This is a stunningly gorgeous book. The illustrations of the children are touching, and remind me of the hope and promise that small children have.

It is important for all children to get these messages, and sadly, some of them never do. LeBron James is both a model of helping others, and a person who can inspire a lot of children, ( )
1 vote PuddinTame | Sep 29, 2020 |
This book asks children to promise to follow basic moral rules. ( )
  Julia6742 | Sep 14, 2020 |

LeBron Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mata, NinaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Farley, RickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gloria JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the kids that started it all, my I PROMISE families in Akron. These promises are for you, and I hope they may be helpful to every student, classroom, and family across the country. You all inspire me each and every day!

-- LeBron
To Aria and the kids who dare to dream bigger. It all starts with the promises you make to yourselves.

-- Nina
I promise to work hard and do what's right, to be a leader in this game of life.
I PROMISE . . .

To Go To School.

To Do All My Homework.

To Listen to My Teachers Because They Will Help Me Learn.

To Ask Questions and Find Answers.

To Never Give Up, No Matter What.

To Always Try My Best.

To Be Helpful and Respectful to Others.

To Live a Healthy Life by Eating Right and Being Active.

To Make Good Choices for Myself.

To Have Fun.

And Above All Else, to Finish School!

#StriveForGreatness

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,290,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible