The Food You Want to Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes

by Ted Allen

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy’s food-and-wine connoisseur, Ted Allen, presents a quick-reference cookbook—giving you the food you really want to cook and eat, and the know-how to pull it off with ease. "With most cookbooks, you could plow through 134 pages of complicated hors d’oeuvres, salads, and the author’s philosophical musings about food before you get to the stuff you actually want to eat. Not here. I’m going to save you the trouble and get to the point right up front.” These first sentences of the book sum up what Ted Allen’s The Food You Want to Eat is all about—the tempting, delicious, satisfying fare you really want on your dinner table tonight, without the fuss and the formalities. Chapters include: •I Know What You Want to Eat: the essentials of steak, chicken both fried and roasted, warm caramel brownie sundaes, and a luscious mac and cheese that will have you thinking outside the box—way outside. •Happy Hour: for the kind of parties real people actually throw; no engraved invitations or seating charts, just easy, delicious recipes like crostini, a simple tuna tartare that kicks, the crowd-pleasing spicy Cajun “pigs” in much nicer “blankets” than you’re used to, four incredible pizzas (one for each season), and of course ten perfect cocktails. •The Cookout: fulfilling everyone’s desire for great barbecued ribs, plus the more adventurous (but even easier) rosemary grilled leg of lamb, and Ted’s secret to the ultimate hamburger. •Poultry: whether baked, braised, or sautéed, chicken is often what’s for weeknight dinner, and here’s everything from soy-and-honey-glazed roast chicken to “around the world on a chicken breast” with superb ways to liven up those boneless, skinless, tasteless cutlets. Plus a simple (really!) duck, and a turkey that doesn’t demand the traditional Thanksgiving heroics. Ted also delves into chapters on an array of fantastic salads that are a far cry from rabbit food; pastas featuring Italian classics like a great ziti with sausage and your basic pasta with red sauce, as well as easy Asian adventures such as cold soba noodles with sesame-peanut sauce; seafood for everyone who’s afraid to cook fish; meats that range from an amazing marinated grilled pork tenderloin and killer chili to a classic pot roast and osso buco; vegetable recipes that will make you love broccoli in a whole new way; and desserts for after dinner—and breakfasts for after after dinner. This is the debut cookbook from one of the most engaging, most entertaining people ever to wield a spatula, filled with the incredibly simple, delicious real-life recipes for The Food You Want to Eat. In a word, mmmm.… (more)

pretty good. More focused on recipes than I like, but most of the recipes seem pretty good. They certain do seem smart and simple. I'm tempted to get it for my own bookshelf. I wish there'd been a few more shots of the food and less of Ted Allen, as I'm more likely to cook the food than have to play a game of "What's in Ted's closet?".

I think.
  JonathanGorman | Oct 31, 2009 |
This is a great book, aimed at men who aren't really into cooking. My other half who is a classic can't cook won't cook has tried a couple successfully. The other great strength is, because it's aimed at men, these are great recipes for having the guys round. ( )
  hagelrat | Aug 23, 2008 |
Ted Allen was always a favorite on "Queer Eye" because his portion always catered food to the individual's skill level. If you watched the show, some folks were barely above "I have once seen a frying pan" and yet Ted came up with a fabulous gourmet meal that they could recreate a dozen times over. His cookbook is much along the same lines, with 100 recipes (and plenty of variations, butters and vinaigrettes) that are designed to be fantastic and simple.

He gives solid advice on the basics - cooking steaks, throwing a cocktail party, torching your creme brulee and offers up the recipes to back up the basics. I find myself going back to the "Killer Chili" and "Black Beans with Linguica Sausage and Chipotle Chili" recipes for quick, yet good meals (the sausage is a regular at my Whole Foods, but Ted offers up 3 substitutions and a "or don't add the sausage!" option).

The book is generously photographed both with the recipes and Ted. The book is paperback, but comes in a heavy-duty plastic cover (at least my version) that allows for a quick wipe-down if you're not the neatest cook in the world (like me!). ( )
  stephmo | Jan 5, 2008 |
The Tandoori[ish] Chicken recipe is WONDERFUL! ( )
  kinseyatoz | May 12, 2007 |
Ted Allen, one of the Fab Five from “Queer Eye” on Bravo, specializes in food and wine. He’s released a cookbook of delicious recipes that aren’t impossible to reproduce. I’m basically the worst cook ever, but my husband and I successfully navigated through recipes for burgers, parmesan crisps, and new age floats. Ted includes social tips as well. At a cocktail party, put food and drinks on opposite sides of the party to encourage movement. I love this cookbook! ( )
  pacifickle | Aug 24, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,384,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible