Broken (in the best possible way) by Jenny…

Broken (in the best possible way) (original 2021; edition 2022)

by Jenny Lawson (Author)

"As Jenny Lawson's hundreds of thousands of fans know, she suffers from depression. In Broken (in the best possible way), she explores her experimental treatment of transcranial magnetic stimulation with brutal honesty. But also with brutal humor: "People do different things to distract themselves during each treatment. I embroider. It feels fitting. I'm being magnetically stabbed in the head thousands of times as I'm stabbing the embroidery myself. I don't embroider the same patterns my grandmother did. I embroider girls with octopus faces, David Bowie, a flowery bouquet with FUCK YES written in the middle. They let you do anything as long as it's 'positive.'" Jenny discusses the frustration of dealing with her insurance company in "An Open Letter to My Insurance Company," which should be an anthem for anyone who has ever had to call their insurance company to try and get a claim covered. On the lighter side, she tackles such timelessly debated questions as "How do dogs know they have penises?" We see how her vacuum cleaner almost set her house on fire, how she was attacked by three bears, business ideas she wants to pitch to Shark Tank, and why she can never go back to the post office. Of course, Jenny's long-suffering husband Victor-the Ricky to Jenny's Lucille Ball-is present throughout. A treat for Jenny Lawson's already existing fans, and destined to convert new ones, Broken is a beacon of hope and a wellspring of laughter"--… (more)
Member:Karen74Leigh
Title:Broken (in the best possible way)
Authors:Jenny Lawson (Author)
Info:Holt Paperbacks (2022), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages
Collections:Read 2022, Your library, Goodreads
Rating:***
Tags:bio-memoir-letters

Work Information

Broken (in the best possible way) by Jenny Lawson (2021)

Recently added byallanahk, KPanc, private library, ZiggyF, Setti, ItsCC, Jinjer

Wonderful book. I underlined a lot that resonated with my own life. Her stories made me grateful for the parts that we do not share...there but for the grace of.... ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Aug 5, 2022 |
Maybe it's just because of my current emotional state, but this book was everything I needed and more. Humorous and heartwarming and so relatable ( )
  kayfeif | Jul 7, 2022 |
My review for this book can be found on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Apr 8, 2022 |
Of course, I laughed at the funny bits and was sobered by the serious bits (especially the magnetic brain hammering treatment, which I never heard of). THE best chapter, however, the one that made me cheer/cry, was An Open Letter to My Health Insurance Company. I don't know what word(s) I'm looking for to express my feeling about it, but the writing, the sentiment, the raw truthfulness, is sheer perfection in simplicity and clarity. Brutal. ( )
  seongeona | Jan 8, 2022 |
This book was in turns inspiring, and sad, and touching, and funny, and sometimes all of that at once. It has laugh-out-loud moments and tearjerkers. The audiobook that I listened to had an extra chapter at the end dealing with recording an audiobook in These COVID Times, which will be an interesting reminder of what we've been dealing with should I listen to this again far enough in the future that I have forgotten what this is like. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Nov 22, 2021 |
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.

--Leonard Cohen
Dedicated to my husband, without whom this book would not exist. Mainly because he would not quit yelling at me to stop binge-watching Netflix and get some fucking work done.

But also because he's funnier than I am in person, gives me incredible material, and loves me even when I don't always love myself. Thanks, mister.
You probably just picked up this book thinking, What the shit is this all about?
I'm not the only one you've done this to. You've left thousands of people alone and desperate and untreated. You have killed people we love, with neglect or indifference. You deny mercy and pain and humanity. I'm not even one of the worst cases. My problems with you are typical. And that makes it even worse.
You are standing in the way of the health and happiness of so many of us and you are making money while standing on our backs and telling us how much we don't need the things that keep us alive. But I am still alive. In spite of you.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jenny Lawson's book Broken (in the best possible way) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,973,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible