Milk Fed: A Novel by Melissa Broder

Milk Fed: A Novel (edition 2021)

by Melissa Broder (Author)

A scathingly funny, wildly erotic and fiercely imaginative story about food, sex and god from the Women's Prize longlisted author of The Pisces A STYLIST, INDEPENDENT, THE WEEK AND RED HIGHLIGHT FOR 2021 'Sexy and fun and a little weird ... This riot of carnal pleasure will make you laugh as well as gasp' The Times'A revelation ... Melissa Broder has produced one of the strangest and sexiest novels of the new year ... Exhilarating' Entertainment Weekly'A luscious, heartbreaking story of self-discovery through the relentless pursuit of desire. I couldn't get enough of this devastating and extremely sexy book' Carmen Maria Machado, author of Her Body and Other PartiesRachel is twenty-four, a lapsed Jew who has made calorie restriction her religion. By day, she maintains an illusion of control by way of obsessive food rituals. At night, she pedals nowhere on the elliptical machine. Then Rachel meets Miriam, a young Orthodox Jewish woman intent upon feeding her. Rachel is suddenly and powerfully entranced by Miriam - by her sundaes and her body, her faith and her family - and as the two grow closer, Rachel embarks on a journey marked by mirrors, mysticism, mothers, milk, and honey.Pairing superlative emotional insight with unabashed vivid fantasy, Melissa Broder tells a tale of appetites: of physical hunger, of sexual desire, of spiritual longing. Milk Fed is a tender and riotously funny meditation on love, certitude, and the question of what we are all being fed, from one of our major writers on the psyche - both sacred and profane.… (more)
Member:PinkPurlandProse
Title:Milk Fed: A Novel
Authors:Melissa Broder (Author)
Info:Scribner (2021), 320 pages
Rating:**

Work Information

Milk Fed by Melissa Broder

Many thanks to NetGalley, Simon and Schuster Canada and Melissa Border for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advance copy.

What did I just read??? I’m not sure, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t like it. Well, let me say that it wasn’t for me. I was uncomfortable the whole way through. Not in the good uncomfortable,

And no, it wasn’t the sex. I’m fine reading hot and steamy sex scenes, but this was like being in a self absorbed, neurotic person’s head 24/7. There was no escape. I guess that’s the point. Rachel could never escape her own issues, but boy, I felt like I was sucked down this black hole of self indulgent, poor me psychosis where who do we blame but the mother, of course. Rachel is stuck in her life because her mommy wasn’t nice. She told her to not to get fat, lose weight and well, welcome to having a Jewish mother.

I didn’t enjoy the main character. Rachel seemed stuck throughout the whole novel so it became very repetitive. She is obsessive about counting her food calories, has body dysmorphia among other issues. She meets Miriam, an Orthodox jewish woman who works in a frozen yogurt shop. She becomes obsessed with how Miriam enjoys her food, then she becomes obsessed with Miriam. Obviously this is a relationship doomed to fail.

I couldn’t wait to finish this book. It was a slog to the end. The ending didn’t have any redeeming qualities. This one was definitely not for me. ( )
  PinkPurlandProse | Sep 22, 2022 |
This book was given to me - not quite sure what to make of it. I think of it other than it might have given me an eating disorder:)
Quick read, glad I read it, but probably won't recommend it to anyone else. ( )
  carolfoisset | Feb 23, 2022 |
I was fortunate enough to win this book as part of a Goodreads contest, thank you so very much! I thought it was hilariously funny.

The story of twenty-four-year-old Los Angelino Rachel. Rachel deprives herself of so much, but mainly calories and joy. Until she meets Miriam and she finds both. This book is all about hunger and longing - for delicious food and for sexual desire.

Although the humor is what strikes you most about the book, there is also a whole bunch of humanity there. I have been turning over an anecdote in the book where Rachel looks for compliments from her mother and often winds up unfulfilled. As her therapist says - stop shopping for milk in the hardware store.

So very good and definitely worth a read, thanks for the giveaway! ( )
  StevenBHenry | Nov 4, 2021 |
What can I say, this book with another book was only be $1 with combined shipping on ebay, so I went for it. This book isn't really for me - Rachel works at a talent agency in L.A., much of the book goes on and on about counting calories and her diet... then she goes on a binge, which is admittedly more fun for the reader. If you're interested in eating disorders, this might be an interesting book for you. But I thought Melissa Broder could at least do something more with these topics. I empathize, but I don't want to endlessly hear about food. It's a very Now book, so I'm not sure the shelf life of this book. And the point seemed to go past my head. I did love the golem bits. ( )
  booklove2 | Nov 2, 2021 |
By page 60 or so I realized I didn't like any of the characters. Our hero, Rachel, had an extremely unhealthy relationship with food, and everyone in her life. The love interest, Miriam, came on the scene by pressuring Rachel to eat when she clearly didn't want to. All the supporting characters were using people or being cruel or judgmental. Not the most fun way to escape into a book. The book also had a lot of sex, but most of it was not sexy, but weird, as Rachel had continuous sexual fantasies involving the mother-figures in her life, where they started out nurturing her, and ended up f*cking her. Ick. It finally did get sexy towards the end when Miriam and Rachel got together, but that didn't last or end well for either of them. Hard pass. ( )
  sanyamakadi | Aug 14, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,777,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible