In Memory of Angel Clare by Christopher Bram

In Memory of Angel Clare (edition 1990)

by Christopher Bram (Author)

A group of worldly New Yorkers inherit a friend's last lover A year after the AIDS-related death of filmmaker Clarence Laird, known to friends as Angel Clare, his young boyfriend, Michael, is still in deep mourning. Clarence's older, sophisticated friends--male and female, gay and straight--find themselves the custodians of Michael, a callow kid they never liked much to begin with. What follows is a dark, intimate comedy about real grief and false grief, misunderstanding, friendship, love, and forgiveness.… (more)
Member:QCenterPDX1
Title:In Memory of Angel Clare
Authors:Christopher Bram (Author)
Info:Plume (1995), Edition: Reprint, 280 pages

Work Information

In Memory of Angel Clare by Christopher Bram (Author)

This is well-written, but at such a distance that it's difficult to find many of the characters all that sympathetic. The tangential characters are the ones who readers are able to relate to, and the writing and plot just aren't quite enough to be the strength of the book. As such, though a straightforward read, it was a long read for this particular reading, and difficult to finish. By the time I was nearly done, there was one character who I found particularly sympathetic, and the end was somewhat redeeming, but as I wrote, that was very near the end of the book, long after I would have given up on the novel if I weren't one of those folks who finds it nearly impossible to put a book down. In other words, it's well done, and it's a way to pass the time, but it's probably not one I'd recommend to folks who aren't specifically searching out literature related to AIDS or literature that takes its time to examine a group of friends at large instead of a single character. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Mar 4, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,686,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible