The Takeover

by T L Swan

Series: Miles High Club (2)

The Takeover by T.L. Swan starts out with Tristan Miles planning to take over Anderson Media which is owned by Claire Anderson who has been running the company on her own in the 5 years since her husband died. Their first meeting is not a good one and Claire resolves to keep her company alive to pass on to her sons. Tristan sees something he admires in Claire, but she turns him away. Months later they reconnect at a conference and the romance progresses from there.

I have mixed feelings about this book. One of the things I loved about the story was Claire's fierce loyalty to her dead husband and her desire to complete his dreams and carry on his legacy. While some may find this a frustrating part of this book I thought it was actually realistic. Unless someone has lost a spouse, it is impossible to understand the stages of grief that need to be gone through. Claire is not finished grieving and has issues to work through. At times I was frustrated with Tristan for not thinking to take Claire's feelings into account and just barreling ahead with plans that she should have been consulted about. Claire needed someone to help her with her boys and Tristan's take charge approach was what she needed at times, but he goes too far and can't seem to get why she would be upset. At the end, we see them both ready to give the other what they want and don't really see how they resolve the conflict besides declaring that they want to be together forever.

I also loved how Tristan was with Claire's boys. They don't accept him instantly, but it is glaringly obvious that they need a dad/man to help them through some of the growing pains they are having. While initially taken aback by the boys, he looks back on what he was like at their age and uses experience to find his groove in relating to them.

Some things I didn't like about the story (spoilers possible). Tristan's upbringing and billionaire status making him overbearing and his "If I want something, I get it." attitude. I normally don't read/like billionaire romances so I'm sure that is part of it. Elements of the story disappearing. For example, Tristan severely injures his ankle to the point of seemingly inevitable surgery or at the least therapy. Other than seeing him using crutches once afterwards, nothing else happens and he continues without impediment. Children travelling across the world alone with a stolen credit card - really!

So, I'm torn about my rating for this book. I was drawn into it and couldn't put it down, but yet frustrated by it. For now I'm going to give it a 3.5, but it could be changed to a 4 after I think about it more. Either way, I would recommend this book to romance readers who like billionaire/millionaire romances or single parent romances.

Note: Grief/loss of spouse; steamy scenes ( )
  sdbookhound | Jan 27, 2021 |
I loved this as much as book one. It was funny & heartbreaking at times.

I love the relationship between Tristan & the boys, it's hilarious - #ticktock.

The relationship between Tristan & Claire was great, though Claire did annoy me with some of her decisions & actions. I empathised with Tristan more than Claire, but I thought they make a great couple.

It was a great ending, even if I didn't like it, I understand it. ( )
  FiLoMa | Oct 23, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,269,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible