SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

She Drives Me Crazy by Kelly Quindlen

She Drives Me Crazy (edition 2021)

by Kelly Quindlen (Author)

Member:Kirtstella
Title:She Drives Me Crazy
Authors:Kelly Quindlen (Author)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2021), 304 pages

Work Information

She Drives Me Crazy by Kelly Quindlen

This is my favorite kind of YA, thoughtful, fun, inclusive, and sensitive. I clicked with both of the bright, layered main characters, and I enjoyed how they both prioritize friendship and their goals, while also embarking on a cute romance! The family dynamics also felt really empowering and it is such a pleasure to see parenting depicted in this loving, truly supportive way. Bonus points for cats named Boo Boo and Pickles! :) I’m giving more bonus points because coming out/being out is not a major plot point, and that is so refreshing! ( )
  starlight-glimmer | Nov 5, 2021 |
I mistakenly thought it was a graphic novel. That's what I get for making assumptions based on the cover and blurb. Instead, She Drives Me Crazy is a short novel of a story obviously inspired heavily by the teen romance movies of the 1980s into the aughts, except it's set in Georgia (USA) today, features lesbians, and has a family around the main character that's fantasy-level supportive.

The story is cute, no more believable than a '90s romance movies, and strangely but perhaps kindly devoid of current cultural references other than the gay phrases liberal teens teach other (to combat the verbal attacks that are more common).

I'm still a little disappointed it's not a graphic novel. The diverse cast would have been nice to see on more than the cover. ( )
  aspirit | Sep 18, 2021 |
if this book was straight i’d loathe it with a passion...but it’s not so i guess it gets 3 stars ( )
  nazgumusluoglu | Jun 24, 2021 |
A fun, sometimes laugh out loud funny take on enemies to friends to girlfriends. Irene and Scottie get into a fender bender. Scottie's mother suggests Scottie drive Irene to school while the latter's car is being repaired. Since they dislike each other, it is a task.

Scottie is a whiz on the basketball court and Irene leads the cheerleading squad. Also, Scottie is on the rebound after her girlfriend, Tally, broke up with her and switched high schools to their arch basketball enemy.

Can two girls who dislike each other become more than friends? Enjoy the ride as you get to see. Don't forget the romance between some of Scottie's friends with some of Irene's. fun and heart warming through to the end. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Jun 9, 2021 |
Literary Merit: Excellent
Characterization: Fantastic
Level: High School
Recommend: Yes

I loved this book. This is the queer YA content we need more of! The focus is on relationships and goals, not trauma or coming out (though it does touch on these topics they are minor and well supported). I loved our two fierce, soft, and genuine main characters, and their wide group of friends. I enjoyed the high school dynamics of sports, friends, and figuring out the future for what comes next. I laughed, I hurt for them, I cheered, I gasped, and overall thoroughly enjoyed the reading experience. The nemesis to lovers troupe is one of my favorite and this is one of the best ones I've read. I wish I had this book to read when I was in high school! ( )
  SWONroyal | Apr 20, 2021 |
For Mom, who always bounces back, and for Quinn Patrick, our little game changer
You would think, based on the fact that I've played varsity basketball for three years now, that I know how to score a basket.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,343,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible