Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli

Kate in Waiting (edition 2021)

by Becky Albertalli (Author)

958228,587 (4)1
Member:EFitzpatrick
Title:Kate in Waiting
Authors:Becky Albertalli (Author)
Info:Balzer Bray (2021), 400 pages

Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli

It’s impossible to top the sheer adorable-ness of Albertalli’s first protagonist, Simon Spier, but I fully enjoyed following along with Kate, as she explored the world of romance, friendship, and highschool theatre. I’m not a theatre kid (art nerd all the way haha), so some of the innate charm of the book was probably lost on me, but I really enjoyed seeing Kate’s passion for her chosen art form. Albertalli frames the book as a story within the story of the play, but to a much lesser extent than many similar books. Kate was (expectedly) paired with her romantic interest in the play, but their friendship (and Kate’s friendship with her posse) was a much bigger influence to the overall storyline. I didn’t know the plot of Once Upon a Mattress, so maybe I missed some of the subtext, but I don’t really feel like you had to know the play to follow the dual storylines since the play was basically background noise to the real world drama of high school. As per usual, Albertalli brings the romance, and maybe more obviously with this book than with her previous stories - yes, romance is always there, but Kate is so boy-obsessed (and then oblivious) at times it’s a bit ridiculous! But we can’t fault Kate too much, since we’ve all been that person as a teenger. Things wrap up nicely by the opening night of the play, so everyone goes home happy by the final pages! My only complaint: the chapter endings were a bit choppier than usual and the scene/time jumps threw me off a little bit - but maybe that’s Albertalli mimicking the more dramatic jumps in playwriting, which is entirely understandable, considering the basis for the story. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Sep 16, 2021 |
Kate in Waiting is… fine. What is going make this book review so difficult to write for me is that there’s nothing technically wrong with the book. Becky Albertalli tells Kate’s story with the same directness and the same humor as her other books. The style, the characters, and the story are all on point. I liked it. And I didn’t like it.

Lets start with the basics. Kate in Waiting is another high school in Georgia book, with teenagers all over the LGBTQIAP+ spectrum. There’s racial diversity in the character and I honestly believe that as she grows as writer, Albertalli does a better job of creating characters and making them rounded. Her romance writing is also really sweet.

You know what I don’t like about her writing, and especially about Kate in Waiting? The friendships.

I can’t even say those are badly written, because they’re not. But they are complicated and sometimes petty and they make me cringe and it’s uncomfortable to read sometimes not because she’s done a poor job, but because she’s done a good job and my biased self would like a little more of the “friendship is perfect” illusion. As a whole all the characters were fine and I liked Kate’s voice – I really did! I’m all about the self-depreciating humor. That’s kind of my thing. But I really, really didn’t like Anderson and Kate’s friendship.

I didn’t like Anderson + Kate so much that it tainted the book for me. And again. I can’t emphasize enough that this has nothing to do with Becky Albertalli because she wrote it really well. Their friendship gave me anxiety. It made me angry. It had the types of things that make me want to turn off drama and reality tv shows. Kate in Waiting is about heartbreak and complicated relationships and the fact that life has its way of surprising us. And there were some scenes that I liked so much. But I don’t know that it was enough to make me love the book.

Again. Me not loving the book is about my own personal issues and not the book.

Honestly, you’ll probably like the book. Lots of people like Kate in Waiting. A large part of it revolves around the musical Once Upon a Mattress which is a great musical. I especially love the comedy trio in Once Upon a Mattress – it nods its head to Shakespearean comedy and there’s a lot of pantomime and physical comedy which I appreciate. There are some scenes that are super cute and the pure awkwardness of Kate and Ryan’s relationship is fun (though it got a bit sappy for me at the end). There is a lot of good about this book and I so recommend it. Really. I do! ( )
  Morteana | Jul 1, 2021 |
Cute read, perfect for Glee fans/theater kids.
I saw the ending coming waaay before the ending.
I wanted a breezy YA read without too much teen drama and that is what I got.
But instead of making me feel young again, this one's current cultural references, which I only partially got, made me feel a tad old:-) ( )
  deslivres5 | Jun 18, 2021 |
Kate and Anderson have been best friends forever. Their friend group calls them co-dependent; they even have crushes together. But when their mutual summer camp crush, Matt, shows up at their school in the fall, and they both realize they *really* like him, things get messy. All three are cast in the school musical, Once Upon A Mattress, as is Noah Kaplan, one of the f-boys (or at least f-boy adjacent; the theater kids' term for the jocks).

Quotes

It isn't a tragedy. It's just my life. Split in half. (Kate, re divorce, 79)

They should make a word for the mix of pride an envy you get when someone you love is really good at a thing. It's like you want them to win so badly it feels personal. But also the thought of them winning makes you almost sick with longing. (104)

Like our parents are an event we have to cringe through together. (Kate w/ her brother Ryan, 248)

It's like having a tiny Greek chorus of people who hate you. Except they never shut up, and they live in your brain. (309)

I hate being pitied...when someone feels sorry for you, you can't help but become that sorry person, at least a little bit. (328)

"I just don't like that I was so focused on making myself comfortable that I made you uncomfortable." (Noah to Kate, 337)

It feels like standing on the doorstep without a key to your own home. (Kate not talking to Anderson, 342) ( )
  JennyArch | May 14, 2021 |
4 1.2 stars. Kate in Waiting is almost as good as Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda in my opinion. As a former theater kid, I thought it did a wonderful job capturing the feeling of performing in a musical. I loved the relationships between Kate and her friends, especially her best friend Anderson, as well as her relationship with her brother Ryan. The romance was realistic and sweet. This book has humor and heart and it made me so happy! Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an advance galley. ( )
  SGKowalski | May 12, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,308,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible