The Nature of Witches by Rachel Griffin

The Nature of Witches (edition 2022)

by Rachel Griffin (Author)

An Instant New York Times BestsellerIn a world where witches control the climate and are losing control as the weather grows more erratic, a once-in-a-generation witch with the magic of all seasons is the only one who can save earth from destruction. But as her power grows, it targets and kills those closest to her, and when she falls in love with her training partner, she's forced to choose between her power, her love, and saving the earth.For centuries, witches have maintained the climate, but now their control is faltering as the atmosphere becomes more erratic; the storms, more destructive. All hope lies with Clara, a once-in-a-generation Everwitch whose magic is tied to every season.In Autumn, Clara wants nothing to do with her power. It's wild and volatile, and the price of her magic-losing the ones she loves-is too high, despite the need to control the increasingly dangerous weather.In Winter, the world is on the precipice of disaster. Fires burn, storms rage, and Clara accepts that she's the only one who can make a difference.In Spring, she falls for Sang, the witch training her. As her magic grows, so do her feelings, until she's terrified Sang will be the next one she loses.In Summer, Clara must choose between her power and her happiness, her duty and the people she loves. . . before she loses Sang, her magic, and thrusts the world into chaos."Perfect for fans of Shea Ernshaw and Taylor Swift's Folklore."-Rosiee Thor, author of Tarnished Are the Stars"A bright, fresh read from a glowing new voice, THE NATURE OF WITCHES is both timely and stirring. Griffin's emotional writing that cuts to the heart will make her a new YA favorite."-Adrienne Young, New York Times bestselling author of Fable"The forces of nature and magic blend perfectly in this masterfully told story. . . I couldn't love this book more."-Shea Ernshaw, NYT bestselling author of The Wicked Deep and Winterwood… (more)
Member:SandCastle807
Title:The Nature of Witches
Authors:Rachel Griffin (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Fire (2022), 384 pages

Work Information

The Nature of Witches by Rachel Griffin

Great story about the risks that must be taken to protect the environment. Well written, engaging characters. ( )
  PrplBarb | Jun 2, 2022 |
Witches have maintained the climate for centuries using their connection to the sun, their power at its highest in the season of their birth. But now the climate is changing and becoming more erratic, storms are happening in their off season and witches are being depleted trying to help. The pressure lays on Clara, who is an Ever witch, a witch that is connected to all four seasons. But Clara doesn’t know if she can live with her magic any longer and wonders if standing in totality of the solar eclipse (an act that will get a witch stripped of their powers) is what will make her happy.

Firstly, I really loved the description of the season and how well and amazing Rachel Griffin did at describing them - I always felt like I was with Clara when she would talk about them. I also loved the way the seasons’ connected with witches and how their magic moved and worked…

“...I’m greeted with the transitional magic of autumn.
Then the aggressive magic of winter.
The patient magic of spring.
And the intense magic of summer.”

Secondly, and I don’t know if I would be describing this correctly, but this book just felt so soft while I was reading it. Crazy things were happening in the world but the connection the witches had to Earth and the Sun were just so soft… I just really adored it. I adored the characters, the atmosphere, and the writing style. Griffin proves you don’t have to have crazy big plot twists to make a book compelling and captivating.

The only thing I didn’t fully understand was Clara’s change of mood… how she could like someone but come Autumn, she wouldn’t? But the other season would generally intensify the liking/loving part?? I think I may have just missed something, so it wasn’t anything that set me back on enjoying the book!

Overall, this book was nice to curl up with under a thick blanket at the end of the day. It had beautiful witchfilled world building, likable characters (except one teacher), and a compelling plot. Anyone who likes teenage witches learning to be the best they can, would really enjoy this book! ( )
  oldandnewbooksmell | Feb 25, 2022 |
weather, fantasy ( )
  DesertMoon | Feb 24, 2022 |
A magical story about learning to become who you are meant to be, while basking in the many different kinds of love in this world. Clara has faced challenges but once she learns to love herself and trust in both herself and others, there is no stopping her self discovery.
The plot is unique, detailed and touching, the characters are varied and the message is amazing. I loved this one, loved the chapter introductions, (I highlighted most of them!), and this will certainly stick with me for some time.
*I received an arc from the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review ( )
  KimMcReads | Jul 21, 2021 |
The Nature of Witches is a YA fantasy book that I absolutely devoured. Rachel Griffin has created an imaginative take in her alternative world, where witches control the weather and work with regular humans - referred to as shaders to keep the weather systems under control.

But shaders have become greedy and are developing more and more of the earth, and it's made the atmosphere unstable, in turn overwhelming witches across the globe.

Witches are categorized by season: Autumns, Winters, Springs, and Summers. Their strengths are strongest in their own season, and their magic reflects characteristics of their season. But Clara is an Ever - she possesses the magic of all seasons, using the magic of each season as she rolls into it. She's the first Ever in 200 years, and doesn't know how to use or control her magic. What she does know is the cost of it.

This is a beautiful story filled with lovely imagery and interesting characters, along with a sweet romance. It moves at a quiet, steady pace, that pulls at the heart. It has moments of tension and moments of beauty.
It also offers an interesting commentary on climate issues.

What it is, ultimately though, is a story of Clara's journey to self-discovery and self-acceptance, finding her place in the world. Does she keep her magic that will force her to live her life devoid of close relationships, because her magic is drawn to those she loves (with terrible consequences)? Or does she give up her magic for a chance at a normal life?

With the quiet feel that fans of Practical Magic would enjoy, I really adored this story and look forward to more from this author.

I was provided an advance copy of this book from Sourcebooks Fire via Netgalley. All opinions are my own. ( )
  jenncaffeinated | Jul 4, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,205,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible