The Two Lost Mountains

by Matthew Reilly

Series: Jack West Junior (6)

"AN INCREDIBLE VICTORY BUT AT A TERRIBLE PRICE... Against all the odds, Jack West Jr found the Three Secret Cities but at a heartbreaking cost. His beloved daughter Lily, it appeared, was slaughtered by Sphinx in a cruel ancient ritual. TO THE MOUNTAINS AND THE FALL! With his rivals far ahead of him, Jack must now get to one of the five iron mountains - two of which have never been found - and perform a mysterious feat known only as 'The Fall'. Although what is this object on the moon that is connected to it? A NEW PLAYER ARRIVES Amid all this, Jack will discover that a new player has entered the race, a general so feared by the four legendary kingdoms they had him locked away in their deepest dungeon. Only now this general has escaped and he has a horrifying plan of his own..." -- Back cover.… (more)

While this series is super cool, it got somewhat redundant quickly. But you cannot deny Reilly's imagination and of course penchant for fast-paced, thrill-a-minute writing. ( )
  Jarratt | Aug 3, 2022 |
I just finished this book and when I logged back into Goodreads to update my status, I noticed one reviewer describing it as "batsh*t crazy". With all respect to that reviewer, I can't do any better than that.

Like all of Reilly's books, this one is non-stop, edge-of-your-seat exciting, but it all starts to get pretty tedious after a while. I mean how many life-and-death experiences can such a large group of characters have. (and, I mean a LARGE group of characters) The other thing that really bothered me is the preternatural omniscience of, not one, but all of the bad guys in this book. Come on, Matthew, give the good guys a break now and then.

I think I've read everything that Reilly has written and this book is, by far, the most over-the-top effort yet. Will I read the last book, "One Something Something" in the seven-book series? Oh, I'm sure I will but I can't say that I will be sad to see the series go bye-bye. ( )
  coachtim30 | Nov 4, 2021 |
Ok, let me just catch my breath. This book was non-stop action. And I mean non-stop. Matthew Reilly has done it again -- written a slam-bang, wild, exciting, fun, rip-roaring adventure novel, a worthy successor to "The Three Secret Cities," book #5 in the Jack West, Jr. series.

In "The Two Lost Mountains," Jack and his motley crew of loyal family and friends have to get to one of the five iron mountains to perform a feat called The Fall, in order to save the world.

Yes, this series absolutely must be read in order, of you'll be very confused. So if you're attempting to read this book without reading the others in the series first, stop. Go pick up "Seven Ancient Wonders" and start from the beginning.

I must say, I was shocked at the characters that were killed off in this book. Reilly definitely went all-out with this one; I admire his chutzpah. And ending with a bit of a cliffhanger was not really a surprise, as the next book will be the final one in the series, and supposedly everything will be resolved then. Can I just say that I CANNOT WAIT for the last book? And then I can't wait to see what new series Reilly will dream up next. ( )
  niaomiya | Jun 24, 2021 |
For some reason I struggled with this novel. In fact I only became fully invested in the last third when Jack and his team reached Egypt and was enjoying their race to the Supreme Labyrinth when the book ended! As usual, like all of Reilly's books, "The Two Lost Mountains" was action packed and stretched all credibility but it just seemed the same old, same old. It also annoyed me that Jack was always behind his enemies and trying, unsuccessfully, to catch up. However, I was thrilled that the maghook made a quick appearance in this instalment.

Having followed Jack West Junior's journey over the past fifteen years, I am very interested to see how Matthew Reilly will end Jack's story. I just hope Reilly doesn't kill him off - my heart will be broken! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Dec 31, 2020 |
Some might consider my long-time fandom of Matthew Reilly’s novels my ‘guilty reading pleasure’, but I feel no shame in owning my enjoyment of them. Sure, his uncommonly simplistic, commercial writing style sits in stark contrast to the narratives I usually appreciate. But his Jack West Jr Series, and the “goodness” of its oddball bunch of protagonists, hooked me from its opening title released in 2005.

Each series instalment, including this penultimate The Two Lost Mountains, reliably consists of Jack, retired soldier/historian, and his multicultural team racing against the clock to solve ancient riddles/puzzles, and quite often, having to battle their way through booby-trapped mazes while dodging gunfire, in order to save the world. And a cliff-hanger… once, quite literally.

Sounds far-fetched? Very much so. The Jack West Jr Series, is pure escapism, but the heartwarming kind. In the world of Jack West Jr, curiousity, intellect, loyalty and mateship, doing what is right no matter the personal cost and ‘never giving up’ is what eventually prevails. The bad guys, usually multiple bands of them, they are all brands of evil, and often-times come to very grisly ends. Continue reading >> https://www.bookloverbookreviews.com/2020/11/the-two-lost-mountains-matthew-reil... ( )
  BookloverBookReviews | Nov 15, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Lily West woke with a jerk, startled and terrified, and freezing, freezing cold.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,144,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible