Meisje A by Abigail Dean

Authors:Abigail Dean
Other authors:Erica Disco
Info:Amsterdam HarperCollins 2021

Girl A by Abigail Dean

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
After escaping her family's house of horrors, Lex is known by the media as Girl A. The oldest sister who escaped and freed her siblings. Years after escaping, her mother dies in prison, leaving Lex and her siblings the house and a substantial sum of money. Deciding that the best use would be a community center, Lex begins convincing her siblings to accept the plan.

Although the premise of the story was interesting, the book itself was a bit lacking. It rambled all over the place and spent considerable time in the past, without giving any details of the past. Overall, not a book I would reread or recommend. ( )
  JanaRose1 | May 6, 2021 |
BOTM, England, abuse, survival, family ( )
  AWahle | May 3, 2021 |
It is hard to say what kind of book this is. The writing is great and the character definition is clear with Girl A but the others are less fully developed. This does give you a sense that the events happened in the past but the long lasting effects are still being felt. I would have liked a bit more information about the parents so I give the story 3 and 1/2 stars for creativity but will bump it up to a 4 for the writing.
In the end I would say the word that comes to mind is haunting. ( )
  booksbooks63 | Apr 21, 2021 |
This is a tough one to rate. I stayed up late to read it, went on walks to listen to it. I couldn’t put it down. But it made me feel dirty. Which isn’t quite fair because it isn’t in the same category as a Gillian Flynn or Girl on the Train or one of the hundreds of best sellers that... exploits our most purient interests. This book does think about its subjects—religious fanaticism, child abuse, families that become deranged. But it also uses our curiousity about those subjects as narrative hot sauce. Keep reading to find out if the protagonist abused her younger siblings! Keep reading to find out what kind of weird sex the protag likes now! I’m trying to figure out what the difference is between a creepy page-turner and a serious book, a beautiful book about the hardest things. Not using the protag? Don’t all books? Using the protag more quietly? All books need narrative fuel. This book felt less creepy to me by its end. Ultimately it doesn’t pull too many dark rabbits out of its hat. It ends up being about the part of the narrator that can’t quite be healed—her love for her little sister. God knows I enjoyed it so I’m not sure why I’m being so stingy. It’s far less cheap and so much more readable than most books. I think what nags at me is that I can’t quite name what makes this book exploitive while a book like the Girls, for example, is revelatory. Better writing certainly but this is quite well written. I think it’s the choice of subject matter and what is revealed about it. ( )
  wordlikeabell | Apr 19, 2021 |
She is waving goodbye. ( )
  alizarin | Apr 17, 2021 |
You can publish this in a mobile app so a lot of readers can see your lovely work. Check on NovelStar and see how other writers earn by pursuing their passion in writing.
added by Paul.Molive | editLibraryThing.com

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,861,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible