How to Steal a Dog

by Barbara O'Connor

Living in the family car in their small North Carolina town after their father leaves them virtually penniless, Georgina, desperate to improve their situation and unwilling to accept her overworked mother's calls for patience, persuades her younger brother to help her in an elaborate scheme to get money by stealing a dog and then claiming the reward that the owners are bound to offer.… (more)

English (64)  Spanish (1)  All languages (65)
This book was recommended by 11-yo Kensington. I looked it up and an ebook just happened to be available so I read it this afternoon.

Keep a box of tissues handy. The buildup of emotion as Georgina struggled with her guilt and regret had me literally sobbing through Chapter 20. ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
Georgina Hayes is desperate. Ever since her father left and they were evicted from their apartment, her family has been living in their car. With her mama juggling two jobs and trying to make enough money to find a place to live, Georgina is stuck looking after her younger brother, Toby. And she has her heart set on improving their situation. When Georgina spots a missing-dog poster with a reward of five hundred dollars, the solution to all her problems suddenly seems within reach. All she has to do is "borrow" the right dog and its owners are sure to offer a reward. What happens next is the last thing she expected. ( )
  dianalara2 | Nov 16, 2020 |
This books depicts a girl named Georgina and her crybaby brother, Toby, while they live in their car with their mom with nothing but trash bags filled with their personal items and a jar full of coins. As there mother works tirelessly to provide for them and save enough money for a house, Georgina devises a plan with her brother to steal a dog and return it for a reward. At the end of the book, she realizes that her actions were wrong and does what she can to make amends with her actions. ( )
  HaileyDelisle | Nov 15, 2020 |
The book, How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'connor is about a family that has their father walk out on them, only leaving them with little to no money. They end up getting evicted from the apartment that they lived in, forcing them to live in their car. The book portrays the main character, the daughter, going through life struggles any young girl would go through at her age, and then some more because her friends begin to find out that she has to live out of her car. She is determined to do whatever it takes to help her family and when she sees a flyer for a missing dog with a cash reward, she comes up with a plan. She is going to steal a dog, and when she sees a flyer with a cash reward for the missing pet, she will return it in exchange for the money. Eventually, she realizes that her actions aren't good and returns the dog that she stole from the owner. In the end, the family finds somewhere to live and they gain a friendship with the woman that they stole the dog from. ( )
  maggieschneider | Nov 13, 2020 |
Georgina's family is homeless and in need of money. After Georgina sees a poster advertising a reward for a lost dog, she gets the idea to steal a dog and take the reward money. I believe this would be a good book for kids to read because they can read from the perspective of someone living in a situation they've probably never experienced before. My librarian read this book to my class in 4th grade, and I loved it. The story was something that stuck with me because I had never read about a character like Georgina before.
  briannawallace | Oct 22, 2020 |

This was a good story. I have to admit it was hard to read at times because it made me sad, but grateful. It seems that this would be a good read for children ages 8 to 14. The book provides a lot of opportunity to talk about homelessness. It would also be good idea for children to take part in a service learning activity around helping people or animals. The story brings to light some important topics for children to grapple with. The book touches on morals and making the right choices, and gives the reader an opportunity to put themselves in someone else’s shoes.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,276,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible