Promised Land, A by Barack Obama

Promised Land, A (original 2020; edition 2020)

by Barack Obama (Author)

2,7831064,082 (4.33)1 / 172
A riveting, deeply personal account of history in the making--from the president who inspired us to believe in the power of democracy #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * NAACP IMAGE AWARD NOMINEE * NAMED ONE OF THE TEN BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY The Washington Post * Jennifer Szalai, The New York Times * NPR * The Guardian * Marie Claire   In the stirring, highly anticipated first volume of his presidential memoirs, Barack Obama tells the story of his improbable odyssey from young man searching for his identity to leader of the free world, describing in strikingly personal detail both his political education and the landmark moments of the first term of his historic presidency--a time of dramatic transformation and turmoil. Obama takes readers on a compelling journey from his earliest political aspirations to the pivotal Iowa caucus victory that demonstrated the power of grassroots activism to the watershed night of November 4, 2008, when he was elected 44th president of the United States, becoming the first African American to hold the nation's highest office. Reflecting on the presidency, he offers a unique and thoughtful exploration of both the awesome reach and the limits of presidential power, as well as singular insights into the dynamics of U.S. partisan politics and international diplomacy. Obama brings readers inside the Oval Office and the White House Situation Room, and to Moscow, Cairo, Beijing, and points beyond. We are privy to his thoughts as he assembles his cabinet, wrestles with a global financial crisis, takes the measure of Vladimir Putin, overcomes seemingly insurmountable odds to secure passage of the Affordable Care Act, clashes with generals about U.S. strategy in Afghanistan, tackles Wall Street reform, responds to the devastating Deepwater Horizon blowout, and authorizes Operation Neptune's Spear, which leads to the death of Osama bin Laden. A Promised Land is extraordinarily intimate and introspective--the story of one man's bet with history, the faith of a community organizer tested on the world stage. Obama is candid about the balancing act of running for office as a Black American, bearing the expectations of a generation buoyed by messages of "hope and change," and meeting the moral challenges of high-stakes decision-making. He is frank about the forces that opposed him at home and abroad, open about how living in the White House affected his wife and daughters, and unafraid to reveal self-doubt and disappointment. Yet he never wavers from his belief that inside the great, ongoing American experiment, progress is always possible. This beautifully written and powerful book captures Barack Obama's conviction that democracy is not a gift from on high but something founded on empathy and common understanding and built together, day by day.… (more)
Member:pauldanielhenning
Title:Promised Land, A
Authors:Barack Obama (Author)
Info:Random House of Canada (2020), 768 pages

Work Information

A Promised Land by Barack Obama (Author) (2020)

English (99)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (106)
There's nothing like the reassuring voice of a person who is intelligent, well-read, surrounds himself with experts, and wants what is best for people personally and for our country as a whole. How I miss President Obama and his family in the White House! I also learned more about politics in general and the difficult, complicated decisions that have to be made by the Commander in Chief and his staff. ( )
  DonnaMarieMerritt | May 21, 2022 |
the TARP stuff gets dense, but is well explained, same with Climate. Some fun anecdotes and stories, as well as genuine insight. not the most riving, but i’ll still likely read part two. ( )
  thelxdesigner | Mar 31, 2022 |
An engaging and candid memoir of the 2008 campaign and the first several years of Obama's first presidential term, through the spring of 2011. Obama's excellent writing is on full display here, and he gets into both the political and personal nitty-gritty of being president in ways that surprised me. ( )
  JBD1 | Mar 27, 2022 |
Half mir durch die dunklen Trump-Zeiten! ( )
  iffland | Mar 19, 2022 |
Like in Michelle Obama’s “Becoming” this memoir is a mix of personal anecdotes and political stories, President Obama’s details of his early years and how he rose to become president, then his first term in office. I really enjoyed his candor in describing his failures along the way—offices he ran for and didn’t win—and also the incremental steps and successes that built to his run for president. It was interesting to learn bits of history I didn’t know and to see the path that shaped him to be the man who would later become president. There were lots of details of foreign policy that I didn’t know from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, anecdotes about his time with Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden, stories from the 2008 campaign and more.

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |

Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, fly and never tire,

Fly and never tire,

Fly and never tire,

There's a great camp meeting in the Promised Land.

------------from an african american spiritual
Don't discount our powers;

We have made a pass

At the infinite.

-------------Robert Frost, "Kitty Hawk"
To Michelle---my love and life's partner
and
Malia and Sasha-----whose dazzling light makes everything brighter
[Preface] I began writing this book shortly after the end of my presidency--after Michelle and I had boarded Air Force One for the last time and traveled west for a long-deferred break.
Of all the rooms and halls and landmarks that make up the White House and its grounds, it was the West Colonnade that I loved best.
For war was contradiction, as was the history of America.
Looking back, I sometimes ponder the age-old question of how much difference the particular characteristics of individual leaders make in the sweep of history---whether those of us who rise to power are mere conduits for the deep, relentless currents of the times or whether we're at least partly the authors of what's to come.

See also the Wikipedia article.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,285,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible