Taste: My Life Through Food by Stanley Tucci

Taste: My Life Through Food (edition 2021)

by Stanley Tucci (Author)

Biography & Autobiography. Cooking & Food. Nonfiction. HTML:INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Named a Notable Book of 2021 by NPR and The Washington Post

From award-winning actor and food obsessive Stanley Tucci comes an intimate and charming memoir of life in and out of the kitchen.
Stanley Tucci grew up in an Italian American family that spent every night around the kitchen table. He shared the magic of those meals with us in The Tucci Cookbook and The Tucci Table, and now he takes us beyond the savory recipes and into the compelling stories behind them.‚??

Taste is a reflection on the intersection of food and life, filled with anecdotes about his growing up in Westchester, New York; preparing for and shooting the foodie films Big Night and Julie & Julia; falling in love over dinner; and teaming up with his wife to create meals for a multitude of children. Each morsel of this gastronomic journey through good times and bad, five-star meals and burned dishes, is as heartfelt and delicious as the last.

Written with Stanley's signature wry humor, Taste is for fans of Bill Buford, Gabrielle Hamilton, and Ruth Reichl‚??and anyone who knows the power of a home-cooked
… (more)
Member:elhtfiction
Title:Taste: My Life Through Food
Authors:Stanley Tucci (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2021), Edition: 1st, 304 pages

Work Information

Taste: My Life Through Food by Stanley Tucci

This memoir is driven by actor Stanley Tucci’s gastronomical gusto, which is a polite way of saying it has limitations because it is all about his eating life from his days as an Italian-American boy who went to school with a gourmet-laden lunchbox to his travels as an actor who assessed the locations at which he was shooting based on the quality of food available. The memoir is interspersed with family recipes and a rather interesting and harrowing development: in 2017 Tucci had been diagnosed with tongue cancer, the treatment for which killed his appetite for a while (the most interesting part of the book, in my opinion). Fortunately for him, his taste returned. ( )
  bschweiger | Feb 4, 2024 |
My review of this book can be found on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Dec 24, 2023 |
I adored this book. It was my first time reading a "food memoir" but it was Stanley Tucci and he reigns supreme in my world, so I gave it a go. He is just as charming and delightful in print as I had hoped. ( )
  MsTera | Oct 10, 2023 |
I loved this. Stanley Tucci reading his love letter to food, family, friends, and connections with each other. A balm for the soul right now. ( )
  beentsy | Aug 12, 2023 |
The stroke of genius in Stanley Tuccis' Taste is that it is not a traditional biography. This is not a beginning, middle and end kind of story with tales of Hollywood gossip and creative insecurities. Tucci instead pulls out a chair and offers us a place at his table as he shares the journey of his life through food.

I am a foodie myself. I love nothing more than discovering new tastes and experiences. Travel for me is as much about the eight-course tasting menu in a little out of the way place as it is the walking tour around a city's historic walls.

I listened to this on audiobook and Tucci's voice - along with his myriad explanations and expressive vocalising about food - drips with his love of all things culinary. He tells of different food experiences around the world as part of his career. He builds a sense of family and community all through the food he talks about. You understand that the taste and food itself is not only important, but the time spent preparing it and the people you share it with.

I was particularly taken with a story from Iceland where Tucci tastes Kj√∂ts√ļpa - a sort of soup or stew with a lamb base - that was so like my own experience while in the country that I could feel the whip of the icy air and taste the meaty goodness on my lips.

Will this biography offer you amazing insights into Tucci's life?... possibly not in the way you expect but it won't leave you hungry either. What I hope it does is whet your appetite for all things food. From Tucci's opening description of a childhood exchange with his mother, through myriad decades of dinners, and even through his bout with oral cancer - a diagnosis that seems particularly evil for someone with such a passion for food - I hope you fall in love with the simple pleasures of food and what it brings to our table and our lives. ( )
  rosienotrose | Jul 11, 2023 |
Tucci, as all the world knows by now, likes to eat and drink. [...] His memoir, however, takes his passion to another level.
added by Nevov | editThe Guardian, Rachel Cooke (Oct 11, 2021)

To my incredible parents, for giving me and my sisters so much and for teaching me how and why to love life and food. To my wife, Felicity, for her extraordinary mind, her open heart, and her appetite. And to my gorgeous children, may they always find happiness wherever they are, especially at the table.
I grew up in an Italian family that, not unusually, put great import on food.

Named a Notable Book of 2021 by NPR and The Washington Post

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,801,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible