The Chosen and the Beautiful by Nghi Vo

The Chosen and the Beautiful (edition 2021)

by Nghi Vo (Author)

Member:mateoj
Title:The Chosen and the Beautiful
Authors:Nghi Vo (Author)
Info:Tordotcom (2021), 266 pages
Collections:Read - Library, Your library, Read but unowned

Work Information

The Chosen and the Beautiful by Nghi Vo

I was so captured by this re-imagining of the Gatsby story. Jordan Baker and Nick Carraway come to life and the story becomes so much more through their eyes. Really good writing - I will be thinking about this book for a long time. ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Sep 19, 2021 |
This fantastical retelling of The Great Gatsby is amazing. It's glittering and lyrical and jazzy and as it races towards the inevitable tragic end, it feels like Gatsby should have always been queer and full of magic. ( )
1 vote ablachly | Sep 15, 2021 |
I was very excited for this one because I loved Vo’s writing in her Singing Hills series and I knew this would be awesome too. Turns out this wasn’t exactly what I expected. The story sticks too close to The Great Gatsby which was not one of my favorites in the first place, so I felt like the author’s gorgeous writing couldn’t make up for some of the boring parts. The magical elements were also too few and I guess I just wasn’t that much into more of a historical fiction story. But I can’t deny that both the writing and the audiobook narration are very good and definitely what enabled me to finish it. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
Takes Gatsby and turns it on its head. Developing a world of ghosts and magic in a really well integrated way. Shifting the character focus to a woman of a color in an America intent on driving her away worked very well. ( )
  crystalcarroll | Jul 18, 2021 |
This is The Great Gatsby in an alternative universe told from the perspective of Jordan Baker. I loved it. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Jul 3, 2021 |
The plot unravels tantalizingly slowly, and Vo’s immersive prose never ceases to captivate. The Gatsby-related details and hints of magic will keep readers spellbound from start to finish.

Nghi Voprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ruth, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Shane
The wind came into the house from the Sound, and it blew Daisy and me around her East Egg mansion like puffs of dandelion seeds, like foam, like a pair of young woman in white dresses who had no cares to weigh them down.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,172,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible