CC's Road Home

by Leah B. Eskine

831,793,344 (4)None

The story line was deep and intriguing, but it felt like it was written by a teenager. The writing was too stilted and casual to indicate the depth of feelings CC experienced. She "thought" a lot, when she could have wondered, pondered, mused, and so many more that I wonder if the author has heard of a thesaurus.

I did read a review copy, and it was replete with distracting grammar and punctuation errors. I hope these errors were corrected before the final version was published

I felt like the story started in the middle. She caused her mother trouble, so her mother delivered her to her grandparents' farm for the summer. Only later do we discover what the trouble is, and that it is not the first time she has had to leave her home.

The book deals with issues from the 1960's that are just as timely today, and that our youth are dealing with at school and in their neighborhoods--but I do not want to give spoilers.

The ending was abrupt. It actually said "The End". This is probably because it did not feel like an ending. CC was thinking extremely shallow thoughts about a decision, and then announced it. To me it seems that the author got tired and did not want to put any depth into that scene.

Of course there is a boy, but that is not the theme of the book. I will not let on whether it is happily-ever-after.
  FortisIndy_LRC | May 7, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
CC's Road Home is an interesting mix of recent historical fiction (1960s) and mystery. I really enjoyed how the layers of CC's past are revealed throughout the story. She is a very compelling character that I found myself being able to relate to even though our pasts were nothing alike. The story is very well written and you can feel CC's anguish, confusion, pain, and joy as the novel progresses. ( )
  ashenowl | Dec 23, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am not to good at book reviews, I can explain what happens in the book but that just ruins if for you.
I did enjoy this this book, I found it entertianing and I truly wanted to know what happened at the end of the story.
If you enjoy historical fictions, with a slight around of a mystery? About a girl who is desperately trying to find a her way in life then you may like this book. ( )
  BrittDub | Dec 7, 2020 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book CC'S ROAD HOME was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,176,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible