Andromeda's Rebel

by Debra Jess

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Andromeda’s Rebel is subtitled A Sci-Fi Adventure Romance (Heroes of Andromeda Book 1). Readers expecting an exciting romance will be disappointed. I enjoy reading skillfully crafted romance novels, but this attempt to meld romance and science-fiction failed. The romance element, although understated, is closer to an irritant than a positive feature.
Science fiction fans will find an interesting story set in a grim dystopian future. The Manitac corporation holds a monopoly on the technology underlying travel. Manitac used this advantage to become the de facto government of the universe. One particularly odious practice of the corporation is “disappearing” and mind-wiping innocent citizens. With all memory of their previous life erased, they become corporation-controlled slaves known as pets (short for puppets). Pets work as unskilled laborers for the rest of their lives.
Tamarja Chase is an experimental case. Her memory was only partially blocked, enabling her to perform more complex tasks. Her first position upon completing training is as the shuttle pilot for the Director of Dawn’s Landing. Although working for the Director, she must report to Yohzad, the company official overseeing the experiment. He also appointed Daeven to the Director’s security force.
Tamarja feels emotionally drawn to both men. As she begins to regain access to blocked memories, she becomes aware of an advanced technology that threatens Manitac’s stranglehold on travel. Desperate to obtain this technology, Manitac assigned a prison guard to break her will by raping her repeatedly. To her horror, she realizes that Daeven is that guard.
Two key elements of meaningful science fiction are world-building and illuminating insights into social issues. Jess accomplishes both in Andromeda’s Rebel. The future civilization she creates is plausible and abhorrent. The colony of Dawn’s Landing illustrates an appealing alternative. The ghastly practices of Manitac are a condemnation of corporations' inhumane treatment of employees, society, and the planet. Manitac mirrors corporations’ ugly, insatiable grasping for more profit, and higher stock share prices.
Book One of the Heroes of Andromeda get the series off to a successful start, and I am happy to add Book Two to my future reading list.corporations’ inhumane treatment of employees, society, and the planet. Contemporary corporations’ insatiable pursuit of more profit and higher stock share prices are mirrored in the ugly, lustful grasping inhumanity of Manitac.
Book One of the Heroes of Andromeda get the series off to a successful start and I am happy to add Book Two to my future reading list. ( )
  Tatoosh | Apr 6, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this book! It captured my attention from the very first sentence to the very last word. The characters were well defined and interesting so I cared about what happened to them.
The imaginative storyline made me not want to put the book down. This book contained romance, adventure, betrayal, danger, space travel, and great drama.
I definitely recommend this book to all readers that like a story that is well told and exciting! Read it! You won't be sorry that you did! ( )
  McKemy | Feb 26, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of the early reviewers program on Library Thing. This is a Science Fiction story where a Corporation has taken over the Universe's government and chooses who can keep their memories and who becomes a mindless drone. The are two factions fighting this dominance. One is the shadows and one is AuRaKaz. Their is a showdown coming a half mind person who will do anything to get her memories back.
  kekmrs | Jan 20, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a wonderful read! Set in a world so wondrous I can compare it in my mind to the likes of Avatar (in terms of the landscape and animal species) ,this book has a great blend of adventure, mystery, and romance. Also I’m a sucker for books with rebel heroines. Give this book a try you won’t regret it. ( )
  Ntiana | Jan 6, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Let me start by saying science fiction isn't my favorite genre. Sure, I've read a lot of Star Trek and Star Wars novels, but that was pretty much the extent of my interest. I liked books with familiar characters, and settings that were easy for me to imagine.

Much of that changed after I read Andromeda's Rebel.

The books jumps right into the story, slamming the reader into their seat with rich, descriptive writing. My mind actually swam throughout the first chapter, as I was being introduced to characters and a setting that had me stopping and visualizing each interaction and explanation. I don't often have to re-read a chapter, but I went back after finishing and dove in again.

As the story unfolded and the characters became more fleshed out, I found myself marveling at the author's use of language. She has created such a deeply interesting and encompassing world in this book, and it's difficult for me to understand just how she accomplished it. The story started out slowly, as there were quite a few characters to introduce, as well as a world to explain, but the building of the plot, the twists and turns, and the nearly constant action had me enthralled by the third chapter.

Tamarja Chase is a pilot, assigned to work on a planet monitored by the mega-company Manitac. She's been partially mind-wiped; when she tries to remember certain things, her mind is enveloped by a thick fog. She knows that she's fortunate not to be a 'pet (a puppet), who are the unfortunate people that Manitac has determined to be better off as obedient slaves with no memories.

Tamarja knows two men on the planet: Yohzad, a Manitec overseer of sorts, and Daeven, a guard employed by the director of the planet's company. Both men are part of Tamarja's past, but how do they fit into her life? Will she ever be able to remember her past with them?

Tamara makes a friend in Jita, a hostess who works on the planet. Jita shows Tamarja around, introduces her to her large family, and helps Tamarja adjust to life on the planet. Jita's future ends up in Tamarja's hands; will Tamarja be able to save her friend from a complete mind-wipe and a future as a puppet?

The story of Tamarja, Daeven, Yohzak, Jita, and others is wound tightly together, and it's hard to stop reading once the plot ramps up. There is romance (in fact, somewhat steamy!) between characters, subterfuge, a bit of espionage, and, above all, adventure in this book. It's easy to read, as well; despite taking place on another planet, the author uses clever language tricks to make you really understand the message she's trying to convey with her descriptions and context.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book, and I hope to be able to read more by Debra Jess in the near future.

I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  kspetz | Jan 6, 2021 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Debra Jess's book Andromeda's Rebel was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,164,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible