The Last Graduate: TikTok made me read it by…

The Last Graduate: TikTok made me read it (edition 2022)

by Naomi Novik (Author)

Series: Scholomance (2)

The specter of graduation looms large as Naomi Novik's groundbreaking, New York Times bestselling trilogy continues in the stunning sequel to A Deadly Education. In Wisdom, Shelter. That's the official motto of the Scholomance. I suppose you could even argue that it's true--only the wisdom is hard to come by, so the shelter's rather scant.    Our beloved school does its best to devour all its students--but now that I've reached my senior year and have actually won myself a handful of allies, it's suddenly developed a very particular craving for me. And even if I somehow make it through the endless waves of maleficaria that it keeps throwing at me in between grueling homework assignments, I haven't any idea how my allies and I are going to make it through the graduation hall alive.    Unless, of course, I finally accept my foretold destiny of dark sorcery and destruction. That would certainly let me sail straight out of here. The course of wisdom, surely.   But I'm not giving in--not to the mals, not to fate, and especially not to the Scholomance. I'm going to get myself and my friends out of this hideous place for good--even if it's the last thing I do. With keen insight and mordant humor, Novik reminds us that sometimes it is not enough to rewrite the rules--sometimes, you need to toss out the entire rulebook. The magic of the Scholomance trilogy will continue in 2022… (more)
Member:NickPetty
Title:The Last Graduate: TikTok made me read it
Authors:Naomi Novik (Author)
Info:Penguin (2022), Edition: 1, 400 pages

Work Information

The Last Graduate by Naomi Novik

While the story remains a good one, the tendency to natter continues. Randomly flipping to a page, there's a few lines of dialog at the top of page 202, and then nothing but introspection and inner-dialog until page 208. That's a random page, so it's not a rarity, and it happened at least once in the middle of not only a scene, but a conversation; by the time I got to the character's response I had totally forgotten there was a 'scene in play' and I had to flip pages and pages back to figure out what the character was responding to.

I dinged the story itself 1/2 star from the first one because it's meh. Not quite as good as the first, although El's attitude improved exponentially. She also gets a mouse familiar who is loaded with sass, but neither is enough to pull the story up.

Though I'm damning with faint praise, the last one in the trilogy is out later this month and I'm willing to reserve it at the library to see how the story ends. I'll probably skip anything else by the author though.

I read this because it was sitting on my coffee table; it isn't readily fitting any available squares on my Halloween Bingo card, so I'll leave off shoe-horning it in somewhere unless I need it later (I might, for Country House Mystery and a Wild Card usage). ( )
  murderbydeath | Sep 22, 2022 |
I received this book as a present from a friend who wanted me to read it so she could talk to me about it. She described it as Hogwarts meets The Hunger Games. I love it!

It's written in first person which I generally loathe, but this is so well written anyone who wants to write in first person should read this. Novik really knows how a teenage girl thinks. She captures the ups and downs and the angst of being a loser kid. El's insults are priceless.

Novik also addresses so many social issues that we deal with in today's world that when someone overheard me talking about the book with someone else, they asked if I was talking about a fiction book or real life.

The school was created for wizard kids to protect them from manna-eating maleficaria. Young wizards are tasty and easier to kill than adults. Life expectancy for wizard kids is not very high There are Enclaves where wizard families live, large compounds where they can keep their kids relatively safe. Getting a place in an Enclave is difficult. o we ( )
  jezebellydancer | Aug 29, 2022 |
I waited to read this trilogy until all three books published. I didn't think about waiting for the public library to purchase it or prepare for a later release to Overdrive. The Last Graduate is book two, so I'm patiently (ha!) waiting for book three to show up at one of the libraries.

In this novel, El needs to create a coalition in order to survive graduation. She receives an incredibly hard course load unlike anyone has ever seen and, oddly, one class is with freshmen. As much as El has tried to separate herself from others, her heart pulls her into help others. These lucky freshmen learn how to search and destroy the monsters that hide and seek the students. She becomes attached to them. Meanwhile, El builds her coalition, learning to work together in hopes of surviving graduation. As the year progresses and graduation gets closer, the gym coverts to a weekly obstacle course to practice graduation day. Everyone else becomes totally exhausted, but El is fed by letting her powers loose. Orion, however, finds some of his powers waning because there aren't mals to kills.

As El develops more and more friendships and begins to realize there are secrets that no longer want to stay hidden, she finds that there may be a way to change graduation day and, ultimately, the Scholomance.

I enjoyed the novel. I love books like this. Once again, it's a book two, so I've been pretty vague. I say read this trilogy--it's fun and unusual. ( )
  acargile | Aug 14, 2022 |
Wasn't a huge fan of how invincible El has become since the first book. I'd like my heroes to be a bit more human and flawed. The last quarter was excellent. ( )
  uprisen-fog | Jul 26, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

Keep far away from Orion Lake.

Senior year is here!/
But what the Scholomance wants/
Might ruin us all.
(reader1009)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,961,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible