Ariadne: A Novel by Jennifer Saint

Ariadne: A Novel (edition 2021)

by Jennifer Saint (Author)

A mesmerizing debut novel for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe. Ariadne, Princess of Crete, grows up greeting the dawn from her beautiful dancing floor and listening to her nursemaid's stories of gods and heroes. But beneath her golden palace echo the ever-present hoofbeats of her brother, the Minotaur, a monster who demands blood sacrifice. When Theseus, Prince of Athens, arrives to vanquish the beast, Ariadne sees in his green eyes not a threat but an escape. Defying the gods, betraying her family and country, and risking everything for love, Ariadne helps Theseus kill the Minotaur. But will Ariadne's decision ensure her happy ending? And what of Phaedra, the beloved younger sister she leaves behind? Hypnotic, propulsive, and utterly transporting, Jennifer Saint's Ariadne forges a new epic, one that puts the forgotten women of Greek mythology back at the heart of the story, as they strive for a better world.… (more)
Member:NicoleCreely
Title:Ariadne: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Saint (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2021), Edition: 1st Edition, 320 pages

Work Information

Ariadne by Jennifer Saint

I loved this book. Great writing and storytelling makes the story come alive. ( )
  panamamama | Aug 2, 2022 |
This hurt my feelings but also set my soul aglow. This was such a lovely book, even though it hurt the entire time. I haven't felt like this since I read Circe. I believe that everyone should read this. I loved this book so much. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 29, 2022 |
" It was a story I might have come of late to expect. No longer was my world one of brave heroes; I was learning all too swiftly the women’s pain that throbbed unspoken through the tales of their feats"

Another fantastic retelling !
This one tells the story for Ariadne and Phaedra , both daughters of King Minos.

What I loved about this book was Jennifer Saint's depiction of Dionysus. I grew up reading Percy Jackson , so for me , Dionysus was the often drunk yet insightful camp counselor. Ariadne shed Dionysus in a completely different light. Here I fell in love with the god of wine as Ariadne did, believing him to different from the other Olympians. Like Ariadne I realised a little too late that , at the end of the day Dionysus was an Olympian , clamouring for attention from the human masses.

I also adored the way that the author wrote Phaedra. I loved how she cleverly controlled and brought a kingdom to prosperity using the limited tools she had to work with. Yet , Phaedra wasn't infallible, she's shown vulnerable to the folly of the youth.

Ariadne is a powerful tale of feminism,sisterhood ,motherhood,yearning and intimacy. Would definitely recommend to anyone who loved Madeline Miller's works ! ( )
  kritieeee | Jun 16, 2022 |
Of all the recent books offering lookbacks on the roles of women in Greek mythology, this straightforward rendering of the stories of sisters Ariadne and Phaedra is the most enlightening. There's an amazing cast of well-known monsters, heroes, and deities, but the dual narrations by the daughters of Minos, tyrant king of Crete, and his wife Pasiphae, reveal previously unimagined events and circumstances. Pasiphae is forced by Poseidon's anger at Minos to mate with a bull and gives birth to the Minotaur. When the hero Theseus arrives with his fellow citizens of Athens as forced tributes to the monster, Ariadne falls in love with him and, with the assistance of Daedalus (yes, THAT Daedalus!) the brilliant engineer, provides the key to the maze prison so that Theseus can slay her brother. Fleeing the wrath of Minos, Theseus brings Ariadne to Naxos, a nearby island, where he seduces and abandons her, for no apparent reason. Sister Phaedra flees to Athens to avoid the wrath of Minos and because she, too, has fallen in love with Theseus.

The demigod Dionysius, who lives on Naxos, finds Ariadne and marries her. All is well until Dionysius, who is sympathetic to humans because he is the child of Semele, a human woman, and Zeus, seeks followers of his growing cult, which reveres wine, music, and reanimation. He chooses not to reside in Olympus and castigates the gods and goddesses for toying with and abusing humans. But, having the worst qualities of human and god, he cannot accept the refusal of anyone who does not want to join his cult, and causes the ruination of the women of Argos, whose king is his half-brother, the hero Perseus. Ariadne, who knows the best side of her husband and adores him, now sees his fatal flaws and his hubris, and when Perseus turns Medusa, the Gorgon’s head, to face Ariadne, she is turned to stone.

Phaedra, in the meantime, has realized what a bonehead her own husband Theseus is, he who only is happy when making war on other nations, and she falls in love with his son Hippolytus, who has resolved not to marry and to become the chaste devotee of Artemis. Phaedra's unwillingness to accept his repulsion with the offer of love from his stepmother causes tragedy for them both.

The portrayals of Dionysius and Theseus are quite contrary to the familiar versions from the ancient authors, making this a gem from the female perspective, as is now the reigning custom of our wonderful modern women authors. ( )
  froxgirl | Jun 1, 2022 |
Simplified story of Greek Gods based on Ariadne. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Apr 18, 2022 |
Let me tell you the story of a righteous man.
I would not let a man who knew the value of nothing make me doubt the value of myself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,031,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible