Zikora: A Short Story by Chimamanda Ngozi…

Zikora: A Short Story (edition 2020)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Author)

Member:NadyCG
Title:Zikora: A Short Story
Authors:Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Author)
Info:Amazon Original Stories (2020), 29 pages

Work Information

Zikora by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

A perfect short story you'd wish was a novel. ( )
  Saladbar | Nov 6, 2021 |
I'm not a big reader of short stories, love something to get my teeth into but as a massive Chimamanda fan thought I'd give this a go and I'm glad I did. The characters were well rounded for such a short story, my only gripe was a few sections where I thought 'don't tell me, show me' but given the limited number of pages I understand the choice. There was so much in this story, love, loss, understanding, polygamy, expectations vs reality, the myth that being a black woman is synonymous with a high threshold for physical and emotional pain.
Really enjoyed this short story.

yvesapples | Aug 23, 2021 |
Really enjoyed this short story.

yvesapples | Aug 23, 2021 |
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, bestselling author, has delivered a beautifully, and impactful written short story, written in prose.

When Zikora tells her lover, Kwame that she’s pregnant, he abandons her. Preparing for motherhood, Zikora’s demanding, self-possessed mother, and its complicated love. Zikora reflects on her mother’s painful past to understand her better.

This was a moving storytelling in 35 pages, that captures the struggles of mother, daughter relationship, cultural differences, and relationships between men and women.

The audio narration captured the true story and the language of the characters. I recommend listening to the book. ( )
  Onnaday | Feb 7, 2021 |
Faithless Husbands and Mothers Alone
Review of the Amazon Original Kindle eBook (Oct. 2020)

This was a strong and emotional short story that was well constructed with flashbacks to both the mother-giving-birth's and her own mother's pasts in order to understand their lives and relationships. It only happened by chance that I had recently read a somewhat similar difficult child birth story in Julie Orringer's Can You Feel This? which had a bigger impact. ( )
  alanteder | Dec 6, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,180,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible