Mary Jane: A Novel by Jessica Anya Blau

Mary Jane: A Novel (original 2021; edition 2021)

by Jessica Anya Blau (Author)

Member:shazjhb
Title:Mary Jane: A Novel
Authors:Jessica Anya Blau (Author)
Info:Custom House (2021), 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2022

Work Information

Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau (2021)

Recently added byArina8888, JudiMazur, shazjhb

Sweet story about family and famous people set in 1970’s. Felt like a historical novel. Both the children were well written and interesting. ( )
  shazjhb | Jan 14, 2022 |
this was an utterly charming coming of age story that i couldn't put down. seeing the naive, conservative mary jane being exposed to the loose, liberal cone family and realize that other value systems and ways of life are ok felt so true and was so fun to watch. (it reminded me a bit of my meeting people in college who drank and smoked and skipped classes, but were still good people, unlike what i'd assumed of rule breakers. mary jane learned this before i did.) i loved being inside her head as she navigated this new world and as she both learned and misunderstood so much. blau so perfectly captured this age where she both was a little adult and knew so much but was also still a child and had so much to learn.

mary jane and izzy were especially enjoyable to be around. i feel like, in many ways, mary jane at 14 is a better mother to izzy than i am to my son, and i can learn a lot from both of their attitudes and how everything they do is so full of love. sheba was great, too, but i couldn't get enough of izzy.

i really, really enjoyed everything about this. (the audio reader was great, too. so good that as much as i liked this, i'm not sure i would have liked it quite as much if i hadn't listened to it.) even the ending, which may be a bit unrealistic - would mary jane's mother really have relaxed that much? really changed that much in such a short period of time? maybe. maybe not. but i appreciate the sentiment. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Dec 14, 2021 |
Mary Jane has taken a summer job as a nanny. Her mother is very pleased. It is a respectable job with a respectable doctor and his family. However, this does not turn out to be exactly what her mother expects.

Mary Jane is only 14 and has been raised, as I like to say, in a bubble. Her parents have put a bubble around her and their lives and all their experiences are completely contained. So, when Mary Jane is introduced to the Cone family, let’s just say, it opens up a whole new world.

There is so much I want to say about this novel. I love Mary Jane! I loved seeing her grow and form her own opinions. Plus, I fell in love with the whole Dr. Cone world. Add in Sheba and Jimmy and this book exceeded all expectations.

I have loved every single one of Jessica Anya Blau’s books. And this one is my favorite…and that is saying something because I never thought anything would top Drinking Closer to Home. This author can take any character and turn them into someone you know, want to know or must know!

The narrator, Caitlin Kinnunen, did an outstanding job. All the voices were amazing, including Izzy, Dr. Cone’s daughter. Some narrators can make a kid sound fake. Caitlin nailed it!

Now, I received and ebook copy from the publisher. Well..I am behind, as usual, so I got it on audible. So, that is why I reviewed the audible book. (I also purchased a signed copy…so I have 3 copies of this book…but who is counting!)

Need an all around good book which will make you smile and cringe all in the same chapter…THIS IS IT! Grab your copy today.

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review. ( )
  fredreeca | Nov 10, 2021 |
full of joy and love ( )
  jfaltz | Oct 16, 2021 |
An exuberant coming of age story set in the summer of ‘75. Fourteen year old Mary Jane steps out of her sheltered world for a summer babysitting job in an unconventional family’s home and learns a lot about love and life. Such as how there are many different ways to be a family and that adults, even famous ones, can have problems too. Main character Mary Jane and her young charge Izzy are both adorable and their bond feels so genuine I couldn’t help but smile as I pictured them out and about or together in the kitchen making birds in a nest for breakfast. I don’t want to say much about the other characters because, well, spoilers but they are all delightful too.

(BTW, The book’s dust jacket compares this to Daisy Jones & The Six but I don’t agree, it's much lighter and far more upbeat. I’d say Julia Claiborne Johnson’s Be Frank With Me is a better comparison.) ( )
  wandaly | Oct 6, 2021 |
For Marcia and Nick
Mrs. Cone showed me around the house.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,171,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible