Dog Days by Ericka Waller

Dog Days (edition 2021)

by Ericka Waller (Author)

'Perfect for fans of A Man Called Ove and Eleanor Oliphant...Definitely one of my favourite novels of 2021' AJ Pearce, author of Dear Mrs Bird and Yours Cheerfully 'A charming, surprising and moving story of three troubled characters' encounter with love, grief, healing...and dogs' Clare Chambers, author of Small Pleasures 'Funny, sad, gritty and beautifully told.' Hazel Prior, author of Away with the Penguins _______________________________________________ George is angry at the world. His wife has died and now all he wants to do is sit in his underpants and shout at the cricket. The last thing he needs is his cake-baking neighbour Betty trying to rescue him. And then there's the dog, a dachshund puppy called Poppy. George doesn't want a dog - he wants a fight. Dan is a counsellor with OCD who is great at helping other people - if only he were better at helping himself. His most meaningful relationship so far is with his labrador Fitz. But then comes a therapy session that will change his life. Lizzie is living in a women's refuge with her son Lenny. Her body is covered in scars and she has shut herself off from everyone around her. But when she is forced to walk the refuge's fat terrier, Maud, a new life beckons - if she can keep her secret just a while longer... Dog Days is a novel about those small but life-changing moments that only come when we pause to let the light in. It is about three people learning to make connections and find joy and comfort in living life off the leash. _________________________________________________ 'A soulful, lyrical tale... Such a treat.' Beth Morrey, author of Saving Missy 'Moving, uplifting, full of charm and warmth' Emma Stonex, author of The Lamplighters 'Tender, humorous and hopeful' Lissa Evans, author of V for Victory __________________________________________________ Readers are moved by Dog Days: ***** 'A sentimental, exhilarating & deeply moving novel about accepting the ebb & flow of life & about grabbing those magical moments when you can...Dog Days is a book with a big heart and one you do not want to miss' ***** 'Life isn't perfect, it's messy & complicated but with small acts of kindness, there is always hope - a sentiment that is captured perfectly in this compelling debut' ***** 'Dog Days had me feeling all the emotions, it broke my heart and gently pieced it back together. ' ***** 'Wonderful journey of three complicated characters and the dogs that saw them through their individual journeys'… (more)
Member:pk12345
Title:Dog Days
Authors:Ericka Waller (Author)
Info:Griffin (2021), 368 pages

Work Information

Dog Days by Ericka Waller

Well……I wasn't expecting that! I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting from Dog Days but I think it was the depth of emotion and the lack of sugar-coating that surprised me.

We begin with three very separate stories. George has just lost his wife, Ellen, and without her to keep him upright he is on the verge of collapse. Dan is a counsellor who meets someone in a session who is about to change his life forever. Lizzie lives in a shelter with her son, wondering how she can move on with her life when she has lost everything. With Ericka Waller's expert guidance, these three stories become very gently intertwined, sometimes in an obvious way and sometimes more on the edges of the characters' narratives, but either way I thought it was executed brilliantly.

Maybe one of the things that surprised me about this book was that some of our main players are not actually that likeable. George, in particular, is actually a rather unpleasant man, and yet Waller had me sympathising, empathising, and welling up over him. Lizzie is not always easy to take to, despite her back story, but I felt there was more to her than met the eye. Dan, however, is the antithesis of this. I thought he was a delight in every way, although his story had me sobbing quietly to myself whilst reading in bed at night.

I must mention the doggy element. There are so many dogs in this book and the author ensures that each one has its own distinctive personality and purpose. Every one is there to help to heal their owner and I loved them all.

Dog Days is a beautifully written book and it's very hard to believe it's a debut novel. It's full of feeling, emotion and tenderness, it made me laugh and cry, it made me despair and it made me happy. Ericka Waller peels back the layers of life and delves deep into the highs and lows of mental health, of loss, and of love. I thought it was simply pawfect. ( )
  nicx27 | Mar 13, 2021 |
This is a delightful story revolving around three very different people, Lizzie, Dan and George, and their various friends and dogs. Lizzie is autistic and living in a shelter for abused women, Dan is a psychotherapist and hiding a secret of his own, and George is just a grumpy and angry man who has recently lost his wife. All their lives interconnect in some way.

The characters are wonderfully depicted. The author has done a great job with the way she has created them and making them feel so realistic. I’m sure we all have a Lizzie, Dan and George living near us in some form or another. The story itself is beautifully written, it’s quite an emotional read as well as having humorous moments which did make me chuckle. It’s not all sweetness and light as there is quite a dark side to the tale, some of which is heart wrenching. The dogs play a small but significant part in the story and they add a big note of hope. A dog truly is man’s best friend. Their intuitiveness, loyalty and joy for life really shines through here.

All in all a fabulous read which I would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone who enjoys a character based, optimistic and feel good read. I loved it - I was so sad to turn the last page. ( )
  VanessaCW | Mar 12, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,455,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible