Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Dress Shop on King Street (Heirloom…

The Dress Shop on King Street (Heirloom Secrets) (edition 2020)

by Ashley Clark (Author)

333,245,477 (4.33)None
Member:grammy57
Title:The Dress Shop on King Street (Heirloom Secrets)
Authors:Ashley Clark (Author)
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2020), 368 pages

The Dress Shop on King Street (Heirloom Secrets) by Ashley Clark

Recently added bygrammy57, Christine_D, alekee

No tags

I just loved this book. It was written non-linear in time and person, but very well done. This dealt with being black in the early and mid-1900s. The characters were very well developed. The story kept my interest and had nice twists and turns in the plot to keep you guessing.
The story is Christian, but not at all in a preachy way. In fact, you really don't know it's Christian until the end. It is a clean, well-written book.
Editing is very important to me and this is very well done.
This is Ashley Clark's first book.
I highly recommend this book and give it a strong 4 out of 5-star rating. ( )
  grammy57 | Nov 21, 2020 |
The Dress Shop on King Street is a heartbreaking yet beautiful story. Racism is the main theme here and I commend Ashley Clark’s bravery in writing such a novel and doing so with such diplomacy. This was a dual time period novel, one beginning in the 1940s and the other in present day. The historic story line will move you and is a sobering reminder that such events really didn’t happen all that long ago. But this novel will also bring you joy. The contemporary storyline ties in well to the old, however, I did preferred the historic one as it had a lot more depth and felt more realistic. But overall, this was an excellent story, thoughtfully and creatively put together. I’m glad I had the opportunity to read it. ( )
  Christine_D | Nov 10, 2020 |
From beginning to end this book is a page-turner, and you will not be disappointed.
Millie is a spunky young woman when this story begins and we follow her into her 90's, and what a life she has had. Not many could have withstood the heart aches, but she has hung in there, and we journey with her in deep south Alabama. Hate and prejudice abounds here, but how she deals with it, such grace and a few chuckles.
Millie's heart desire is to open a dress shop and she has a kindred spirit in Harper, a young woman she has know from Harper's childhood on.
There are surprises here, and how the facts unfold, we don't get to see the justice that should have happened, but we get to know Millie.
This is an eye opening, heart wrenching read, that you don't want to miss.
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Bethany House, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Nov 4, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,522,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible