The Plot: A Novel by Jean Hanff Korelitz

The Plot: A Novel (edition 2021)

by Jean Hanff Korelitz (Author)

Member:gmac10
Title:The Plot: A Novel
Authors:Jean Hanff Korelitz (Author)
Info:Celadon Books (2021), 336 pages
Rating:*****

The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz

Darling Rose Gold by Stephanie Wrobel (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Both novels are good summer reads, full of twists and turns

A great read if you don't mind disliking just about everyone in the story. Readers of contemporary fiction will figure out a plot twist fairly early. ( )
  sblock | Sep 23, 2021 |
Having read her riveting book You Should Have Known, I knew I had to read The Plot when I heard about it. Jake is an author whose career is stalled, so he is reduced to teaching a seminar for aspiring authors. One student tells him the plot of the story he is going to write, and after Jake learns that he has died, he decides to steal the plot. He writes a wildly successful bestseller. Then he receives the cryptic message "You are a thief." More accusatory messages follow, and escalate in their threats. While Jake struggles with the threat of losing everything, he also meets Anna and falls in love. He also starts researching the life of his student, Evan. All of these stories intertwine in a frightening climax. I figured out where things were going before Jake did, but there were still come surprises. But you can't put the book down, as you work alongside Jake to find answers. Jake is not exactly likeable, but his character is well drawn. Anna is a little too perfect, especially as we learn more about her past.
Korelitz is a great author. ( )
  cherybear | Sep 13, 2021 |
What a good value: two fun plots for the price of one! Recommended for all libraries. ( )
  librarianarpita | Sep 6, 2021 |
Jacob was once a promising young author whose debut literary novel had been well-received and sold well for a literary novel. And then nothing. A book of short stories was eventually published by a small press and quickly forgotten, Jacob ends up teaching at a low-residency MFA program that accepts anyone able to pay the tuition. It's there that he meets a student who claims to have come up with a plot so new and exciting that it's a guaranteed bestseller. And for years Jacob watches for the student to publish, but when that doesn't happen, he takes the bare bones of the guy's idea and writes what is, indeed, a runaway bestseller and all of his dreams come true. And then the letter arrives.

The Plot is a fun thriller that doesn't quite hold together, but which is great fun to read. I guessed a few of the big reveals ahead of time but that didn't impact my enjoyment at all. The plot, both of this novel and of the fictional one, is suitably twisty and suspenseful and Korelitz's writing is of the kind that does not stand in the way of the action. The characters, even the villains, are well-rounded and complex by the standards of a thriller. Good thrillers are hard to find and there are so many terrible ones. This is a good one. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Aug 30, 2021 |
I really enjoyed Korelitz's twist-filled tale. I must admit that there was a brief period in this saga when I was bit confused as to what exactly was happening. But perhaps this was by design. "The Plot" is a compelling read. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Aug 28, 2021 |
Good writers borrow, great writers steal.
—T. S. Eliot (but possibly stolen from Oscar Wilde)
For Laurie Eustis
Jacob Finch Bonner, the once promising author of the "New & Noteworthy" (The New York Times Book Review) novel The Invention of Wonder, let himself into the office he'd been assigned on the second floor of Richard Peng Hall, set his beat-up leather satchel on the barren desk, and looked around in something akin to despair.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,453,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible