Después de Auschwitz (Spanish Edition) by…

Después de Auschwitz (Spanish Edition) (edition 2015)

by Eva Schloss (Author)

Eva was arrested by the Nazis on her fifteenth birthday and sent to Auschwitz. Her survival depended on endless strokes of luck, her own determination and the love and protection of her mother Fritzi, who was deported with her. When Auschwitz was liberated, Eva and Fritzi began the long journey home. They searched desperately for Eva's father and brother, from whom they had been separated. The news came some months later. Tragically, both men had been killed. Before the war, in Amsterdam, Eva had become friendly with a young girl called Anne Frank. Though their fates were very different, Eva's life was set to be entwined with her friend's for ever more, after her mother Fritzi married Anne's father Otto Frank in 1953. This is a searingly honest account of how an ordinary person survived the Holocaust. Eva's memories and descriptions are heartbreakingly clear, her account brings the horror as close as it can possibly be. But this is also an exploration of what happened next, of Eva's struggle to live with herself after the war and to continue the work of her step-father Otto, ensuring that the legacy of Anne Frank is never forgotten.… (more)
Member:Anasofiag
Title:Después de Auschwitz (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Eva Schloss (Author)
Info:Planeta Publishing (2015), 368 pages

Work Information

After Auschwitz: A story of heartbreak and survival by the stepsister of Anne Frank by Eva Schloss (Author)

Eva Schloss traz um livro, que assim com o "Diário de Anne Frank" dá uma boa noção dos sofrimentos causados aos judeus na segunda guerra. ( )
  Henrique-Barreiros34 | Sep 3, 2017 |
We were in Amsterdam last year, and had the opportunity to go to the Anne Frank Museum, but I didn’t want to go. I had read the diary when I was a teenager and re-read it some time in my twenties, and I still remember it vividly. I did not think that visiting the house could contribute anything to my awareness of this life cut short by the Holocaust, and I didn’t like the idea of tramping through it with the inevitable horde of tourists.

But I was intrigued when I saw amongst the audio books at my local library: After Auschwitz: a story of heartbreak and survival by the stepsister of Anne Frank. Anne Frank died in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp aged 15 and I knew from the diary that she did not have a stepsister. How could this be?

The answer is that Elfriede (Fritzi) Geiringer, the mother of the author Eva Schloss, married Anne Frank’s father Otto Frank after the war. IMO Eva Schloss, a survivor of Auschwitz-Birkenau, is more properly described as the stepdaughter of Otto Frank, but it hardly matters. Because of Otto Frank’s determination that Anne’s story should not be forgotten, her legacy became the focus of their postwar lives and Schloss and her mother continued the work of the Anne Frank Trust after he died. Anne has been an ever-present tragic ghost throughout Eva Schloss’s life.

To read the rest of my review please visit https://anzlitlovers.com/2016/10/30/after-auschwitz-a-story-of-heartbreak-and-su... ( )
  anzlitlovers | Oct 31, 2016 |
A good insightful read from a girls perspective, who ends up related to the father of Anne Frank and gives us an inside look to his dedication to his daughters diary, ( )
  Helen.Hunter | Oct 31, 2015 |
This is the autobiography of Eva Schloss, a young Austrian Jew who knew Anne Frank in Amsterdam after they all ended up there in the late 1930s. She survived Auschwitz with her mother Fritzi; her father Erich and brother Heinz died in Mauthausen after being forcibly marched there after Auschwitz was liberated by the Red Army in January 1945. After the war they returned to Amsterdam, where her mother married Otto Frank in 1953, while she had moved to London. Only a small proportion of the book deals with her horrific experiences in Auschwitz; the bulk of it deals with her post-war life, her and her mother's attempts to build a new life, while coping with the psychological stress and depression of coming to terms with the fact that Erich and Heinz would never return. Latterly, since the 1980s, Eva was one of the founders and has been an ongoing inspirational light of the Anne Frank Trust, which campaigns against all forms of prejudice by working with schools, prisons and others. Hers is an example of a life dedicated to trying to ensure that such horrors are not repeated, whatever the underlying prejudice in a particular incidence. ( )
  john257hopper | Feb 1, 2015 |
This heartfelt account of surviving the horrors of Auschwitz was a book I recoiled from but also intrigued me. I could not put it down.
Eva's journey from being an inmate at the notorious camp, to eventually becoming the stepdaughter of Otto Frank is certainly very well written and very sobering.
I was fascinated to hear about her recollections of Otto Frank and his reactions to the deaths of his past family. ( )
  SusannahPK_83 | Feb 23, 2014 |

Schloss, EvaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, KarenCollaborationsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fox, AlexanderTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

Ce livre est dédié à la mémoire des victimes de l’Holocauste et du génocide qui n’ont pas eu la chance de pouvoir raconter leur propre histoire.
Eva Schloss
Laisser quelque chose derrière soi

— À présent, je pense qu’Eva voudra prononcer quelques mots.
La phrase eut un écho dans le grand hall et me remplit de peur.
[...]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,883,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible