Matthew: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary (The Anchor Bible, Vol. 26) (1971)

by W. F. Albright, w.f. albright (Translator), C. S. Mann

Series: Anchor Bible (26)

444None55,420 (3.6)1
In this commentary we have endeavored to take the words of Matthew's gospel seriously and to see behind them a whole cultural, legal, and spiritual tradition growing around the belief that Israel was the chosen people of God and that the coming of the Messiah was the fulfillment of God's revelation of himself to men. This is the conviction with which the nascent Christian community met the world of its day, both Jewish and Greek, and there is no understanding of our NT sources unless the conviction that Jesus was the promised Messiah is treated seriously. We have, therefore, taken considerable pains to place the Jesus of the gospels firmly against his own background, making full use of all the evidence now available -- historical, archaeological, and linguistic. - Preface.… (more)

No reviews

W. F. Albrightprimary authorall editionscalculated
albright, w.f.Translatormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mann, C. S.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

PREFACE
At a time when the Anchor Bible was still supposed to consist of concise, one-volume paperbacks, the editors invited Professor W. D. Davies to prepare commentaries on Matthew and Mark.
I. THE GOSPEL AND THE CANONICAL "GOSPELS"
A
The four books in our New Testament which are called the "gospels" stand alone, in that there is no other material by which to judge them.
1. THE GENEALOGY OF JESUS
(i 1-17)†
1 1 The list of the ancestry of Jesus-Messiah, son of David, son of Abraham.
(p. 1)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,906,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible