Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human…

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies (original 1997; edition 1999)

by Jared M. Diamond (Author)

Why did Eurasians conquer, displace, or decimate Native Americans, Australians, and Africans, instead of the reverse? In this groundbreaking book, evolutionary biologist Jared Diamond stunningly dismantles racially based theories of human history by revealing the environmental factors actually responsible for history's broadest patterns. Here, at last, is a world history that really is a history of all the world's peoples, a unified narrative of human life even more intriguing and important than accounts of dinosaurs and glaciers. A major advance in our understanding of human societies, Guns, Germs, and Steel chronicles the way that the modern world, and its inequalities, came to be. It is a work rich in dramatic revelations that will fascinate readers even as it challenges conventional wisdom.… (more)
Member:AnnaVictoriaJones
Title:Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
Authors:Jared M. Diamond (Author)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1999), Edition: 1st, 480 pages

Work Information

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond (1997)

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared M. Diamond (infiniteletters)
    1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann (VisibleGhost, electronicmemory)
    A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (Percevan)
    The Wealth and Poverty of Nations: Why Some are So Rich and Some So Poor by David S. Landes (Oct326)
    Oct326: La tesi centrale del saggio di Diamond è che la causa dominante dei disuguali gradi di sviluppo tra popolazioni umane sia data dalle condizioni ambientali più o meno favorevoli. Il saggio di Landes ha un argomento un po' differente, e cioè il disuguale grado di sviluppo economico e di ricchezza tra popolazioni. Ma sulle cause di queste differenze è più articolato, e mette in rilievo l'importanza dei fattori culturali. È un punto di vista piuttosto diverso, e questo rende interessante il confronto tra le due opere.… (more)
    The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate by Robert D. Kaplan (TomWaitsTables)
    Maps of Time : An Introduction to Big History by David Christian (questbird)
    questbird: Big History is a multidisciplinary approach (like Diamond's) which integrates the origin of the universe, deep time, human prehistory and history.
    Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books are eminently throwing light on the big lines in human history
    The Rise of the West: A History of the Human Community by William H. McNeill (wildbill)
    wildbill: William McNeill chronicles the struggle between nomad and sedentary peoples in a book that continues the themes of Guns, Germs and Steel
    Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today by David P. Clark (infiniteletters)
    The American Plague: The Untold Story of Yellow Fever, The Epidemic That Shaped Our History by Molly Caldwell Crosby (John_Vaughan)
    From Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun (MusicMom41)
    MusicMom41: Guns, Germs and Steel makes a great “prelude’ to Barzun’s book From Dawn to Decadence.
    The Seven Daughters of Eve: The Science That Reveals Our Genetic Ancestry by Bryan Sykes (Percevan)
    The Physics of Life: The Evolution of Everything by Adrian Bejan (br77rino)
    The horse, the wheel and language by David W. Anthony (tcg17321)
    Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade (IslandDave)
    Wild: An Elemental Journey by Jay Griffiths (hohlwelt)
    hohlwelt: Complements very well with what Jared Diamond misses and vice versa.
    Children of the Ice Age: How a Global Catastrophe Allowed Humans to Evolve by Steven M. Stanley (br77rino)
    br77rino: Children of the Ice Age is an excellent anthropological discussion of the link that became homo sapiens. Guns, Germs, and Steel covers the more recent territory of racial evolution within homo sapiens.
    The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker (Percevan)
    Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science of the Human Past by David Reich (Cynfelyn)
    Cynfelyn: Who We Are and How We Got Here (2018) is a genetic interpretation successor to the cultural interpretation of Guns, Germs and Steel (1997).
    Human Natures: Genes, Cultures, and the Human Prospect by Paul R. Ehrlich (bookcrushblog)

English (311)  Italian (9)  Dutch (7)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (338)
Fascinating and very easy to read. A wonderful insight into why the world's power balances and imbalances are what they are. A great answer to some of the nonsense spouted by white supremascists! ( )
  Estragon1958 | May 23, 2022 |
I've abandoned this book until I understand how one can even begin to come up with an answer for the question the author claims to tackle. I had a useful conversation about this with a friend, which I record below.

(TLDR; : It has to do with inference when you have more noise than information in a signal : how do you know tell the noise from the information ?)

===========================================================

Gaurav Kumar :
There's a book named : Guns, germs and steel. I was reading the first couple of pages and the author claims that the book is an attempt to answer the question :
"Why did wealth and power become distributed as they now are, rather than in some other way?"
I have a problem with the question
I believe, to answer that question, you would have to create a (new) exact copy of this universe
What do you think?

EH :
to answer that question scientifically, sure
but sound, experimental analysis is not the only useful kind

Gaurav Kumar :
I can't even see myself going forward in that book until I resolve that question.
I have a problem with people interpreting possible causation
if you havent observed it, I'm skeptical
If each of the steps in a long chain of causation events is unobserved and ambiguous, and you present a thesis, I'm going to throw you out of the window.
(you know, I didn't mean "you" right)

mhm
the hypothetical "you"
I haven't read the book
History, though, is not a science
can't be
it's a realm where we just don't have the tools to be completely objective
doesn't mean that it is a worthless endeavor

Gaurav Kumar :
I see what you are saying and that is useful.
However if you are going to use "social" evolution over 13000 years (we don't really have any written records of anything before 3000BC = 5000 years back) to make an argument about why life is the way it is today, that's not history. It's a guess. It's fiction.

EH :
hmm, I don't know much about "Guns, Germs, and Steel", I can't really comment on the quality of that book
the way you phrased the initial question held the book up to science-level standards of objectivity

Gaurav Kumar :
you're right, history is not a science.
but we can at least strive to be as close to the scientific method as possible.

EH :
strive for objectivity and rationality*

What's objective?

EH :
"the scientific method" involves experimentation, compared to a control group

Gaurav Kumar :
you can't average subjective and get objective
  noisychannel | May 22, 2022 |
I’d love to give this book 3 stars since I largely agree with Diamond’s arguments, but his simplistic argumentation and lack of any citations was extremely jarring. Moreover his recommendation of The Bell Curve in ‘further reading’ with no discussion whatsoever left a sour taste. ( )
1 vote woj2000 | Mar 24, 2022 |
Enjoyed the tour of different factors that may explain different outcomes across human civilizations up to now. If you, consciously or otherwise, had a pet theory that explained what you knew, you may want to reconsider after being introduced to other possible explanations. I think the book fell short on explaining how different facts came to be known, and in not attempting to quantify the relative magnitudes of the different proposed effects. ( )
  orm_tmr | Mar 16, 2022 |
A classic account of how the world got to be the way it was, and how human activity was shaped by geography and the distribution of plant and animal species, which in turn shaped the rise of contagious diseases and the adoption of technology. The account weaves together anthropology, archaeology, epidemiology and more.

Diamond seeks to demonstrate that the certain peoples came to dominate the planet because of these characteristics, and hence disprove racial explanations. In this he is only partly successful. He does not address race directly or how different races came into being. Diamond himself can fall back into his own racial stereotypes - such as observing that the average New Guinean is smarter than the average European. He tells a story of how plants and animals have evolved over thousands of years to be more productive through their contact with people, but chooses not to explore whether humans themselves can also evolve useful characteristics over the same time scales.

Finally, the book is now over 20 years old. It captured a great deal of current scientific research at the time of publication, but science has not stood still. If anything, this publication is likely to have provoked more research. A successor book looks like it will be be needed. ( )
  dunnmj | Mar 10, 2022 |
In ''Guns, Germs, and Steel,'' an ambitious, highly important book, Jared Diamond asks: How did Pizarro come to be at Cajamarca capturing Atahualpa, instead of Atahualpa in Madrid capturing King Charles I? Why, indeed, did Europeans (and especially western Europeans) and Asians always triumph in their historical conquests of other populations? Why weren't Native Americans, Africans and aboriginal Australians instead the ones who enslaved or exterminated the Europeans?

Jared Diamond has written a book of remarkable scope: a history of the world in less than 500 pages which succeeds admirably, where so many others have failed, in analysing some of the basic workings of cultural process. . . It is willing to simplify and to generalize; and it does reach conclusions, about ultimate as well as proximate causes, that carry great conviction, and that have rarely, perhaps never, been stated so coherently or effectively before. For that reason, and with few reservations, this book may be welcomed as one of the most important and readable works on the human past published in recent years.
added by jlelliott | editNature, Colin Renfrew (Mar 27, 1997)

Jared Diamondprimary authorall editionscalculated
Civalleri, LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johansson, IngerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Esa, Kariniga, Omwai, Paran, Sauakari, Wiwor,
and all my other New Guinea friends and
teachers - masters of a difficult environment.
This book attempts to provide a short history of everybody for the last 13,000 years. (Preface to the Paperback Edition)
We all know that history has proceeded very differently for peoples from different parts of the globe. (Prologue)
A suitable starting point from which to compare historical developments on the different continents is around 11,000 B.C.

A lavishly illustrated 20th anniversary edition of Guns, Germs and Steel – Jared Diamond’s Pulitzer Prize-winning exploration of how and why Eurasians developed the weapons, diseases and technologies that enabled them to dominate the rest of the world.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393317552, 0393061310

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,457,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible