The Final Girl Support Group (2021)

by Grady Hendrix

Fiction. Horror. Suspense. Thriller. HTML:THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
VOTED GOODREADS CHOICE AWARD BEST HORROR NOVEL OF 2021
A Good Morning America Buzz Pick
“The horror master…puts his unique spin on slasher movie tropes.”-USA Today
A can't-miss summer read, selected by The New York Times, Oprah Daily, Time, USA Today, The Philadelphia Inquirer, CNN, LitHub, BookRiot, Bustle, Popsugar and the New York Public Library
In horror movies, the final girls are the ones left standing when the credits roll. They made it through the worst night of their lives…but what happens after?

Like his bestselling novel The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires, Grady Hendrix’s latest is a fast-paced, frightening, and wickedly humorous thriller. From chain saws to summer camp slayers, The Final Girl Support Group pays tribute to and slyly subverts our most popular horror films—movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Scream.

Lynnette Tarkington is a real-life final girl who survived a massacre. For more than a decade, she’s been meeting with five other final girls and their therapist in a support group for those who survived the unthinkable, working to put their lives back together. Then one woman misses a meeting, and their worst fears are realized—someone knows about the group and is determined to rip their lives apart again, piece by piece.

But the thing about final girls is that no matter how bad the odds, how dark the night, how sharp the knife, they will never, ever give up.
… (more)

I probably would have rated this a 4 star, but it was hard not to geek out at all the nods to classic slasher films. This is my third book by Grady. I’ve found his storylines okay, but his creativity is what draws me in. I read this in two quick sittings. ( )
  yeffin | Jul 13, 2024 |
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Final Girl Support Group is my first Hendrix book. Although to be honest, I have his other book "Horrorstör"...I just haven't cracked it open yet. #tbrpilekeepsgrowing. Anyway...this book pleasantly surprised me. It's not often that books keep me guessing, let alone have me doubting my theories throughout the entirety of the book. At one point I was convinced I had it all figured out, only to be put in my place and having to start back at square one.

I love thrillers and mystery books...but more often then not, they fall short (sometimes very short) of my expectations. Some are either easy to figure out about 30%-50% through the book, others just don't have that "pizzazz" I'm looking for.

So what makes The Final Girl Support Group different? EVERYTHING. From start to finish you don't know what to expect. At one point you're wondering if the narrator is making everything up. We all know that first person narrators are very unreliable. But then...BOOM...you're hit with another surprise and you have no idea what to think!

I think Hendrix addresses a lot of key points and a lot of interesting topics that may not be at the center of the book, but as a woman I would like to acknowledge. As an example, Hendrix does a really great job in explaining the fear women face when having to brave the outside world. Although I can't image what it must be like living as a victim of any type of crime, I can relate to some of the things our main character has to think about when I go out for a simple run. A couple of things that stuck out for example, is assessing my surrounding, closest exits, possible weapons I can use to protect myself anytime I find myself in a vulnerable place, or even memorizing license plates if ever that information is important.

But what I think Hendrix does best is give these women justice, especially our protagonist. He doesn't portray any of them as being weak damsels in distress, or anything of the sort...no instead he gives them the power to overcome. The power to show the world that despite their trauma they can come out of it stronger and better.

All in all, this is a 5 star in my book for sure and I highly recommend reading it! ( )
  prebs29 | Jul 6, 2024 |
a thrilling, fast-paced homage to the slasher genre and their final girls, whose main characters are middle-aged women surviving their trauma with scars fully on display.
really enjoyed! it’s always fun to see things that are so clearly love letters from the author to the genre itself (not without its own criticism of the genre as well). it certainly felt like watching a contemporary slasher movie, the kind made by someone who’s seen every one and had some notes. ( )
  y2kazy | May 1, 2024 |
This is not one of my favorites of his. I think he leaned so hard into building out the trope that he neglected character development. I just never cared about any of the characters so never got invested in the story. ( )
  gonzocc | Mar 31, 2024 |
Fast pace with lots of twists and turns until the end. ( )
  caanderson | Mar 25, 2024 |

Grady Hendrixprimary authorall editionscalculated
Litman, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
final girl (n.)-the last and
sole survivor of a horor movie
Amanda,
True love is putting someone else,
Before yourself.
Which is why I thought,
You should walk across that ice,
Before me.
r/lastladies Posted by u/fu(bar)gate 17 months ago

Fiction. Horror. Suspense. Thriller. HTML:THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
VOTED GOODREADS CHOICE AWARD BEST HORROR NOVEL OF 2021
A Good Morning America Buzz Pick
“The horror master…puts his unique spin on slasher movie tropes.”-USA Today

Grady Hendrix is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,669,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible