You Are What You Read: A Practical Guide to…

You Are What You Read: A Practical Guide to Reading Well (Skills for Scholars) (edition 2021)

by Robert DiYanni (Author)

481535,020 (4)None
Education. Literary Criticism. Reference. Nonfiction. We are what we read, according to Robert DiYanni. Reading may delight us or move us; we may read for instruction or inspiration. But more than this, in reading we discover ourselves. We gain access to the lives of others, explore the limitless possibilities of human existence, develop our understanding of the world around us, and find respite from the hectic demands of everyday life. In You Are What You Read, DiYanni provides a practical guide that shows how we can increase the benefits and pleasures of reading literature by becoming more skillful and engaged readers. DiYanni suggests that we attend first to what authors say and the way in which they say it, rather than rushing to decide what they mean. He considers the various forms of literature, from the essay to the novel, the short story to the poem, demonstrating rewarding approaches to each in sample readings of classic works. Through a series of illuminating oppositions, he explores the paradoxical pleasures of reading: solitary versus social reading, submitting to or resisting the author, reading inwardly or outwardly, and more. DiYanni closes with eight recommended reading practices, thoughts on the different experiences of print and digital reading, and advice on what to read and why.… (more)
Member:kaixo
Title:You Are What You Read: A Practical Guide to Reading Well (Skills for Scholars)
Authors:Robert DiYanni (Author)
Info:Princeton University Press (2021), 240 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading
Tags:literature, books about books, reading, humanities

Work Information

You Are What You Read: A Practical Guide to Reading Well by Robert DiYanni

"You Are What You Read: A Practical Guide to Reading Well" is a book written by Robert DiYanni, an expert in language and literature. The book is intended to help readers improve their reading skills and develop a deeper understanding of literature.

DiYanni begins by discussing the importance of reading and how it can enrich our lives. He then provides practical tips for how to read effectively, such as taking notes, annotating texts, and asking questions while reading. He also discusses different types of literature, including poetry, fiction, and non-fiction, and provides guidance on how to approach each type of text.

Throughout the book, DiYanni emphasizes the importance of critical thinking and analysis in reading. He encourages readers to think deeply about the texts they read, to consider different interpretations and perspectives, and to develop their own unique understanding of the author's message.

Overall, "You Are What You Read" is a valuable resource for anyone looking to improve their reading skills and develop a deeper appreciation for literature.
Certainly! "You Are What You Read" is divided into three main sections: "Reading Well," "Reading Poetry," and "Reading Fiction and Nonfiction." Each section provides readers with specific strategies for approaching and analyzing different types of texts.

In the first section, "Reading Well," DiYanni discusses the importance of active reading and provides tips for how to approach texts with a critical eye. He encourages readers to engage with the text by asking questions, making connections, and taking notes. He also provides guidance on how to identify important themes and ideas in a text, and how to evaluate the author's message.

In the second section, "Reading Poetry," DiYanni provides readers with a framework for understanding and analyzing poetry. He discusses the different elements of poetry, such as rhyme, meter, and imagery, and provides examples of how these elements can be used to convey meaning. He also provides guidance on how to read poetry aloud and how to interpret the emotions and ideas that are conveyed through a poem.

In the third section, "Reading Fiction and Nonfiction," DiYanni provides readers with strategies for analyzing and interpreting different types of prose texts. He discusses the different genres of fiction and nonfiction and provides guidance on how to approach each genre. He also provides tips for how to identify key themes and ideas in a text and how to evaluate the author's message.

Throughout the book, DiYanni emphasizes the importance of developing one's own unique understanding of a text. He encourages readers to think critically about the texts they read, to evaluate different interpretations and perspectives, and to develop their own informed opinions. ( )
  AntonioGallo | Apr 21, 2023 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,902,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible