Confronting Injustice without Compromising Truth: 12 Questions Christians Should Ask About Social Justice

by Thaddeus John Williams

God does not suggest, he commands that we do justice. Social justice is not optional for the Christian. All injustice affects others, so talking about justice that isn't social is like talking about water that isn't wet or a square with no right angles. But the Bible's call to seek justice is not a call to superficial, kneejerk activism. We are not merely commanded to execute justice, but to "truly execute justice." The God who commands us to seek justice is the same God who commands us to "test everything" and "hold fast to what is good." Drawing from a diverse range of theologians, sociologists, artists, and activists, Confronting Injustice without Compromising Truth, by Thaddeus Williams, makes the case that we must be discerning if we are to "truly execute justice" as Scripture commands. Not everything called "social justice" today is compatible with a biblical vision of a better world. The Bible offers hopeful and distinctive answers to deep questions of worship, community, salvation, and knowledge that ought to mark a uniquely Christian pursuit of justice. Topics addressed include: - Racism - Sexuality - Socialism - Culture War - Abortion - Tribalism - Critical Theory - Identity Politics Confronting Injustice without Compromising Truth also brings in unique voices to talk about their experiences with these various social justice issues, including: - Michelle-Lee Barnwall - Suresh Budhaprithi - Eddie Byun - Freddie Cardoza - Becket Cook - Bella Danusiar - Monique Duson - Ojo Okeye - Edwin Ramirez - Samuel Sey - Neil Shenvi - Walt Sobchak In Confronting Injustice without Compromising Truth, Thaddeus Williams transcends our religious and political tribalism and challenges readers to discover what the Bible and the example of Jesus have to teach us about justice. He presents a compelling vision of justice for all God's image-bearers that offers hopeful answers to life's biggest questions.… (more)

Social justice is one of the most important topics today but also one of the least understood. This is the keyword used to signify that we care about lives and rights and yet there is so much fighting in society over these two words. What can we do to seek peace and justice amid such division?

Thaddeus Williams provides the best path forward by actually seeking justice on the very concept of social justice. With great charity and greater clarity, Thaddeus weaves together both personal testimony and established evidence to clearly separate real justice from an impostor masquerading under the name. Rather than submitting to the popular polemic practices of today’s world, Mr. Williams instead graciously explains the foundations of “Social Justice B” (as he defines it) and shows that, however well-intentioned its adherents may be, that path is fraught with as much injustice as “Social Justice B” attempts to fight. Alongside exposing such foundations, Mr. Williams makes a strong case for a better view, a better approach to justice, one that actually answers questions rather than only making accusations.

One of the unique features Mr. Williams includes that testifies to his thorough treatment of the subject is the testimonies of various individuals in their struggles with injustice. As often as not, these individuals come from their own histories of being racist or intolerant, having to learn the dangers and failures of such perspectives, growing and learning how to love their neighbor, and now standing firmly against such discrimination.

In opposing polemics and vitriol, Mr. Williams has crafted a book that guides without demanding, educates without indoctrinating, and drives for truth without driving away others. This is a book that will stand firm for years to come as a benchmark in the discussion of justice and inequality and is an invaluable resource in these times both nebulous and tumultuous. ( )
  tcwLT | Sep 17, 2023 |
Do you want to understand justice, especially social justice, from a point-of-view that is relentlessly and rigorously biblical, and also readable and practical? Then this is the book for you. ( )
  BradKautz | Oct 7, 2021 |
Not a bad book, but it only felt like half a book. The book kept on giving examples of how Social Justice was not Biblical Justice, but it didn't give examples of how to use Biblical Justice to address the problems Social Justice is trying to address. ( )
  mst3k4L | Sep 28, 2021 |
Really helpful. ( )
  joshcrouse3 | Sep 17, 2021 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,999,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible