The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad) by Tana…

The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad) (edition 2009)

by Tana French (Author)

Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad and started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but she's too badly shaken to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison--the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective--and she looks exactly like Cassie--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:Gena678
Title:The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad)
Authors:Tana French (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, 466 pages
Tags:Crime

Work Information

The Likeness by Tana French

Recently added bysgbg, mattkavanagh, JoeB1934, JFBCore, private library, dakerooo, bellaterrabooks, momcap, sjc731books
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (tangentialine, cransell, GodOfTheAnthill, danibrecher, Booksloth)
    tangentialine: Same sense of the mysterious, same sense of intense psychological speculation.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: This book picks up Frank Mackey's story from where it left off in The Likeness.
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: The similarities between these two books are numerous, in spite of the fact that one takes place in Ireland in the 1980s and one in the 1970s American South. If you enjoyed one, I think it highly probable you will enjoy the other.
    Judas Child by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (amyblue)
    The Wych Elm by Tana French (mermcw76)
    A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (Bookmarque, Ling.Lass)
    Bookmarque: Similar in that it features murder and a group of young adults living together in an inherited estate in what they think is an idyll.
    Ling.Lass: Reconstructing what led to a murder among an eclectic and tight-knit group of housemates.
    The Distant Echo by Val McDermid (amyblue)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (samalots)
    samalots: Also about a group of elite school friends dealing with a mysterious death in their circle
    A Darker Domain by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    A Memory of Murder by Nichelle Seely (alhall)
    Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (Anonymous user)
    The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths by Harry Bingham (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Two gripping mystery stories about a police officer working undercover.
    The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are solid, well-written, character-driven detective stories.

English (290)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (296)
Yep, Tana French has succeeded in doing it yet again - writing a fantastic book which kept me on the edge of my seat from the very first to the very last page.

After finishing a book, I usually juxtapose four important elements before deciding on a specific rating: The characterization, the plot, the writing and the atmosphere. Almost never do I feel like all four of those elements have been realized to perfection by the author (as much as I hate to consider something as 'perfect'), but The Likeness is one of those books. I have nothing to criticize here at all. If you know my reviews, you know that this happens almost never, so consider this review to be a huge recommendation for Tana French's amazing mystery series.

The Plot
Set after In the Woods, the first book in the Dublin Murder Squad series, this book focuses on detective Cassie Maddox, who was the best friend of Rob Ryan, the narrator of the first book. Told through her first-person point of view, The Likeness opens with the corpse of a woman called Lexie Madison being found who looks exactly like Cassie. Cassie's own past is soon going to be involved as Lexie Madison was an alias Cassie has used in an undercover investigation some years ago. In order to discover who has brutally murdered Lexie Madison, Cassie slips into the role of her doppelganger and takes over her life to find out as much as possible about the four mysterious friends Lexie lived with. At that moment, Cassie knows that she has entered a dangerous game, but she wouldn't think that this game turns out to change her life forever.
As unlikely and randomly as this book's premise sounds, it immediately caught my interest and had me engaged until I turned to the last page. Twists and turns appeared around every corner, yet the book remained calm and never rushed, allowed me to sympathize with each and every one of the characters involved. The plot is so complex that it is impossible to read this book en passant - and quite a few readers seemed to criticize the premise, not without reason. How likely is it to find a doppelganger you have never met before and to be able to take over his life without anyone noticing? It is not like this happens all the time. But then, fantasy novels are just as unbelievable because they also play with the reader's imagination. For me, authenticity doesn't emerge out of the likelihood of certain scenarios, but out of the author's ability to make me believe what happened, to make me feel like this could have happened in reality.
And Tana French did make me believe.

The Characters
We have eight main characters in this book, every one of them interesting and complex in their own right. Cassie Maddox' boyfriend Sam O'Neill who struggles with accepting Cassie's undercover role; her wayward and demanding, yet clever superior Frank Mackey; the killed Lexie who has been fully fleshed out as a character in the course of the novel (something I admire the author for); and Lexie's four friends - Abby, Rafe, Justin and Daniel -, maybe the most important addition to the cast of characters in this novel. Living in an old house full of tradition, those four friends were connected by their pasts and their social strugglings, each of them accompanied by their own secrets. As mysterious as they appear to be in the beginning, Tana French presses every button to develop believable, interesting characters out of all of them, so much that at one point I didn't want this book to end anymore.

The Writing
Tana French is an amazing writer, I never doubted that after In the Woods, but with this book, she totally convinced me that her thrillers are no ordinary thrillers. They could, in my opinion, be classified as great literature, considering her talents to approach her characters and introduce and develop them with so much depth. Perhaps the most significant topic this novel deals with is the struggles Cassie endures while slipping into Lexie's life. Where does the Cassie's character end, and where does Lexie's character begin? A question Cassie has to face when she realizes how interesting Lexie's life was in comparison to her own, how easy it is to be Lexie, how endearing her friendships to Abby, Rafe, Justin and Daniel are.
But that is not everything this novel is composed of. Prominently referred to is the Irish history, a past which surely could not turn into a motivation for brutality and violence - or could it? Tana French does not back away from exploring themes like loneliness, isolation, obsession, identity struggles and suppression. And all of those themes are interconnected in such an entertaining way that I was fascinated by it with every new page.

The Atmosphere
Set in a little village in Ireland, the book introduces us to a rather dark atmosphere, with the mysterious house gaining center stage soon. Tana French seems to like letting her characters wander off into the forest in the darkness of night, even more frequently here than in In the Woods. This book is not as spine-tingling as the first novel in the series, partly because it is rather slow-paced without ever becoming boring, but you can still expect some unsettling and disturbing moments which will leave you questioning the extent of humanity.
The book itself is quite long (466 pages according to Goodreads, but my Hardcover edition was 778 pages long). It is true that some parts of it could have been shortened. But sometimes my reading soul is overpowered by guilty pleasure, and that's exactly why I didn't mind the length and didn't even want this novel to end.

[b:Faithful Place|7093952|Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3)|Tana French|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1291165900s/7093952.jpg|7350661], make an effort. My expectations are high.

In the end, I'd like to mention that this book spoils some of the events of In the Woods. While The Likeness could be read on its own, I recommend beginning with the first book to be able to capture the interesting character development and a lot of references made in this novel.

A book about transformation, about human failure, about victims turning to perpetrators and culprits becoming victims. As disturbing as parts of it were ... I loved every single moment of it. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
I forgot to mention in my review of the first book, In the Woods, about how much humor there was and how needed it was. This book also has that same wonderful humor. It’s a brilliant book. Great story, particularly great characters, pheromonal ambiance and gorgeous writing.

One of my pet peeves with mystery novels is when a main character makes stupid choices and Cassie does that here. Examples: not telling the team that she found Lexie’s diary, not revealing all sorts of things she should have shared and not just to her boss but also to her love interest. The extent she goes to with Daniel to protect all four of them is crazy, not having her gun AND her mike on her almost all of the time is crazy. I love Cassie and I think I sort of even understand her but I got incredibly exasperated with her.

The characters are complex. The story has a lot of suspense all the way through. I felt very sad at times. I did love the ending. Most of the way I was galloping through not wanting to stop and wanting to know what would happen and that whole time I was worried about what I would find to read next and wondering if it could possibly hold my attention as well as this story.

There were a lot of very long chapters but as the book went on many of the chapters got shorter and the book became harder and harder for me to put down.

I appreciated the way it was wrapped up well but not too fully. I was grateful that we learned so much about the dead woman. I would have liked to know more about Daniel’s background.

I feel like an idiot but I’m not 100% certain who stabbed her and who was the father of her baby. Anyone know for certain? I know I must have missed the clear reveal. I think I know but I’m not sure. This is one reason why I still prefer paper books. It would have been worth it to flip pages to important passages to see. With the e-copy it just wasn’t worth it to try. I might be able to find out in reviews with spoilers or from doing an online search. This is embarrassing that I am not sure.

A few quotes that I liked:

“I found out early that you can throw yourself away, missing what you’ve lost.”

“I wanted to tell her that being loved is a talent too, that it takes as much guts and as much work as loving; that some people, for whatever reason, never learn the knack.”

“the kind of intense secret life that a lot of orphans and onlies have”

I simultaneously read the e-book and audiobook editions. I love the audiobook narrator and love her Irish accent for Cassie and her voices for the others too.

I think I liked this book more than the first book.

4-1/2 stars ( )
  Lisa2013 | Aug 25, 2022 |
This was interesting but it does take a leap of faith. No way there could be two unrelated strangers could look that identical. ( )
  christyco125 | Jul 4, 2022 |
Tana French writes beautifully--there is no denying that. I highlighted several of the sentences, phrases, and words in this novel that struck a chord with me. She created a Peter Pannish world of five strange young adults living together in a historic old house. This seemed like an original concept to me, and I enjoyed reading it. The scenario reminded me of the Vanessa Carlton song "White Houses." ("In my heart it's the five of us....") However, some of the story was too uncanny and too unexplained. How does Lexie find Cassie's alias? Did she realize that she had a look-a-like with this alias, or was this a pure coincidence? Also, how could these people not realize that they were talking to a different human?

With that being said, overall, this is an enjoyable, nearly mystical story, and I recommend it to those looking for a good book. ( )
  samanddiane1999 | Jun 22, 2022 |
The premise of Tana French’s The Likeness is almost too unbelievable: A murder victim is found who looks exactly like undercover investigator Cassie Maddox. It’s a bit of a stretch, but the wild premise works because the characters all know it’s just so insanely unlikely. The cops are all constantly aware that this likeness is a huge, almost miraculous break to solve the case, and it’s something no one has ever been able to do before. It’s this curiosity that compels Cassie and the other investigators, and this pulls the reader too. Someone, somewhere thinks they’ve murdered Lexie, and that person is going to see “Lexie” walking around like nothing’s happened…

I borrowed The Likeness from a friend who’d read it, loved it, and promised me it would be suspenseful and not too gory. The location of the body and the damage Lexie sustained were important clues, and I didn’t, you know, enjoy reading that part, but my friend was right, it wasn’t too gross.

So much of the tension in this novel comes from how freaking idyllic the share house is. Lexie, before her tragic death, lived in a dreamily shabby mansion with four other grad student friends. The five spend their days in a vintage, academic daydream and Cassie, as “Lexie,” slips right in to try to uncover Lexie’s last days. Cassie eats home-cooked meals with the housemates, drinks wine, teaches easy tutorials, and reads for Lexie’s thesis. The five friends share everything, as they relax at home together and pursue their academic work, although there’s the constant worry that Cassie will be found out, and the unsettling possibility that Lexie’s murderer is actually one of the housemates.

Full review on my book blog
  TheFictionAddiction | May 8, 2022 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected.

Tolv år gamle Adam Ryan lekte i skogen sammen med de to beste vennene sine en vakker solkinnsdag.Han så dem aldri igjen.Tjue år senere er Adam, eller Rob som han kaller seg nå, etterforsker i Dublin-politiet. Kollegene kjenner ikke til bakgrunnen hans som offer for en forbrytelse. Partneren hans er Cassie Maddox. Rob og Cassie får saken da en jente blir funnet drept på et steinalter midt i en arkeologisk utgravning. Først da de kommer til åstedet skjønner Rob at dette er det samme stedet som der vennene hans forsvant den gangen for lenge siden.Og da de finner en hårspenne som han gjenkjenner som en venninnen hans hadde, melder spørsmålet seg: Er det en sammenheng mellom det som skjedde den gangen og mordet de skal etterforske nå? Rob vet at dersom han avslører sin fortid for andre enn Cassie kommer han til å bli tatt av saken; han tar en skjebnesvanger avgjørelse om å tie. Sammen med Cassie skal han oppklare mordet på Katy Devlin, og han håper at han dermed også vil løse gåten i sin egen fortid.

French, Tanaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Velzen, Marjolein vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony, For a million reasons
Some nights, if I'm sleeping on my own, I still dream about Whitethorn House.
Someone else may have dealt the hand, but I picked it up off the table, I played every card, and I had my reasons.
I found out early that you can throw yourself away, missing what you've lost.
There are some social circles where manners are a sign of weakness.

Still traumatised by her brush with a psychopath, Detective Cassie Maddox transfers out of the Murder squad and starts a relationship with fellow detective Sam O'Neill. When he calls her to the scene of his new case, she is shocked to find that the murdered girl is her double. What's more, her ID show she is Lexie Madison - the identity Cassie used, years ago, as an undercover detective.

With no leads, no suspects and no clues to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old boss spots the opportunity of a lifetime: send Cassie undercover in her place, to tempt the killer out of hiding to finish the job.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,959,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible