Anne of Manhattan: A Novel (2021)

by Brina Starler

L. M. Montgomery's classic tale, Anne of Green Gables, gets a romantic, charming, and hilarious modern adaptation, set in New York City. After an idyllic girlhood in Avonlea, Long Island, Anne has packed up her trunk, said goodbye to her foster parents, Marilla and Matthew, and moved to the isle of Manhattan for grad school. Together with her best friend, Diana Barry, she's ready to take on the world and find her voice as a writer. When her long-time archrival Gilbert Blythe shows up at Redmond College for their final year, Anne gets the shock of her life. Gil has been in California for the last five years--since he kissed her during a beach bonfire, and she ghosted him. Now the handsome brunette is flashing his dimples at her like he hasn't a care in the world and she isn't buying it. Paired with the same professor for their thesis, the two former competitors come to a grudging peace that turns into something so much deeper...and sexier than either intended. But when Gil seemingly betrays her to get ahead, Anne realizes she was right all along--she should never have trusted Gilbert Blythe. While Gil must prove to Anne that they're meant to be together, she must come to terms with her old fears if she wants a happily-ever-after with the boy she's always (secretly) loved.… (more)

The idea of a contemporary Anne Shirley at grad school appeals to me, and Starler’s versions of Anne and Gil were likeable.

But some of the prose was frustratingly clunky. I began skim-reading more and more. So I don’t feel like I can properly judge this as a retelling nor as a narrative in its own right, but I definitely have the impression that the prose wasn’t the only thing that was clunky.

Next! ( )
  Herenya | Dec 22, 2021 |
I wanted a little more from one of the secondary characters, but if you’re here for Anne and Gilbert’s chemistry, this modern take on a college-age Anne is definitely worth reading.

Given how important Anne’s friendship with Diana is in the original, I was disappointed by what a small role Diana plays in this story. While this book
makes clear that Diana is a good supportive friend to Anne, unlike Marilla and Matthew, whose essences managed to be pretty well matched here in only a handful of scenes, the handful of scenes for Diana ultimately weren’t significant enough to truly capture that kindred spirit feeling.

I loved the flashbacks to Anne’s youth, those scenes/scenarios (the Christmas scene was especially heartwarming), they had that original Anne vibe yet in a modern setting. The present day plot beyond the romance, Anne’s writing program for kids and her situation with a professor, they felt timely and important and in character for how Anne handled them and yet, I don’t know what exactly was missing, but they just didn’t feel as compelling as the other parts of the book.

I enjoyed the sparks between Anne and Gilbert even if admittedly their steamier moments took some getting used to when you’re accustomed to thinking of them in more old-fashioned G rated terms. My favorite thing about the romance and maybe even my favorite thing about the book was having Gilbert’s point of view, getting that first hand account of how deeply and how long he’s been crushing on Anne, those feelings that as a reader you can very much infer in the original, here you get the chance to experience them and so even though there were aspects of Anne Of Manhattan that didn’t entirely win me over, if you’re a Gilbert fan, I’d recommend giving this a try. ( )
  SJGirl | Jun 28, 2021 |
I have been a longtime fan of Anne, probably because I too am an Anne with an e (middle name) while all my cousins with the family middle name don’t have that e. I’ve read the books, seen all the old movies (recently learned there were some newer ones), binged the Netflix series, and even read and watched every episode/book of the spinoff series Avonlee. I even dated a Gilbert Blythe look alike. So yeah, I’m a fan. I was excited to see a retelling since all my friends are Austinites. I finally had a chance to say , seeeeeeeee my favorite story is important enough for retellings too.

And this story does not disappoint. I can tell the author is a fan. The story has moved Green Gables to Long island, made it a winery, and starts with Anne in the last year of grad school for her Masters in Teaching. Gilbert has been away in California, but has moved closer to family as his father has fallen ill. Most readers remember Anne before adulthood, so at the beginning of this book seems a little late to the game, but through various flashbacks we get the story of young Anne and younger Gilbert and the love that wouldn’t die. The only thing I really miss from her younger story that is not retold here, is breaking the slate over Gilbert's head. He totally deserved it. But what the author uses to fill in those gaps like the beach scene and the kiss at the wrong time fit perfectly with the original story I loved so much.

There were so many things to like about this book. There were also a few ehhhh things. For example, I didn’t not care for the sex scenes. There are only two, but the author aimed for steamy and instead came out sounding like a sex scene written by a man. And here’s the thing ... they are not needed. The original books never had sex scenes. This book could have alluded to happy fun times, and left the details out and it would have been just fine. I did like what they did with the character Marilla, and their eventual escape to Prince Edward Island. I also really enjoyed how they brought Anne and Gilbert together at the end.

Overall, this was a really fun read that I think fans of Anne will enjoy, but I think people who never read the Anne books will enjoy it as well. It’s a light comedic romance that just puts a smile on the reader's face. ( )
1 vote LibrarianRyan | Jun 3, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,966,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible