The Newcomer

by Mary Kay Andrews

I remember MKA commenting while writing this book that she thought she might be "jumping the shark" a bit, knowing only a few people would remember what that phrase was all about. This book was a great read, as all hers are, this is what I expect when I buy all my favorite summer read authors. There were sharks involved, but I don't really think they got jumped! Thanks again MKA for you hard work and diligence in delivering our summer reads! ( )
  mchwest | Oct 5, 2021 |
I don't know how many books the author, Mary Kay Andrews, has written but the list is huge. She has a big following and very well known. Since I haven't read anything by her, I jumped at the chance.

This book starts when Letty in NY finds her sister, Tanya, in her luxurious apartment - dead. Her place is decorated to the max with a closet full of top-of-the-line designer clothes, purses and the works. Then there's the four-year-old daughter that comes out of a hiding place after witnessing this horror event that just took place. Letty grabs a few things along with the little girl and heads south to Florida - somewhere safe. There's some connection with a magazine article about a motel on the beach that her sister had noted. Letty heads there to search for clues - anything to find out what may have happened.

No doubt, Tanya was killed by the shifty lover and father of her daughter in an argument of sorts. Letty once worked for this "bad" man, Evan. He makes money from real estate and illegal activities and would be in prison except he has strong connections that cover his tracks.

Letty makes it to Florida and then finds the motel in the magazine article. While this place is packed with seniors and has no vacancies, Letty talks the owner, Ava, into letting her stay in the a room used as a storage area if she agrees to clean it out. Ava likes her and gives her a job as an assistant. Meanwhile, the owner's son, Joe, happens to be a handsome police officer. Of course, he is there to help. It's just too easy to guess what happens next.

The first part of the book kept my eyes wide open as I was getting to know the plot. However, the last part for me was slow. The author repeated a lot of information which made the story longer than it should have been.

My thanks to the publisher and NetGallery for an honest review. ( )
  Jacsun | Oct 5, 2021 |
Thanks to Book Club Cookbook & MacMillan Publishing for a gifted copy. All comments and opinions are my own.

I really liked this book even though it was often nail-bitingly tense, and that's because I got so caught up in the well-developed story and I cared about the characters. Letty Carnahan finds herself making good on her promise to her sister that she'll take care of Tanya's young daughter if anything bad happens to her, as she's concerned about her threatening ex-boyfriend. When Letty discovers Tanya dead, she grabs four-year-old Maya and Tanya's Mercedes to get far away from New York and Tanya's ex, sleazy real estate entrepreneur Evan Wingfield.

Switching cars a few times to keep Evan and possibly the law off her trail, and driving for days with a sobbing child, Letty ends up at a ramshackle mom-and-pop motel in a small Florida beach town. Tanya had saved an old magazine article about the Murmuring Surf motel. So Letty, panicked and fearful, finds herself in the parking lot with a flashing No Vacancy sign. And that's just the first 35 pages of this 400+ page-turner of a book.

In addition to the clever plot, likeable characters, and evil bad guys, the small-town Florida motel location has all the details to make you check for sand between your toes.

Now that I've read two compelling Mary Kay Andrews novels (don't miss Hello, Summer) this is one author I have on my "must read" list. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Sep 14, 2021 |
Wondered if I would like this book since I don't remember reading this writer before but I did enjoy and would read more books by her. However, I'm not sure if I would seek them out because I have so many other books on my TBR. Fun characters, a strong heroine, and a an interesting plot -- what's not to like. Also, I really wanted to finish it -- didn't want to interrupt my reading it. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Aug 16, 2021 |
I had a fantastic time with this book! I have wanted to read Mary Kay Andrews’s work for a while and I am glad that I finally had the chance to do so with this book. I was hooked by this story right away and it held my interest until the very end. I am so glad that I was finally able to give this author a try.

Letty is on the run with her niece, Maya, after finding her sister dead. She ends up in Florida at The Murmuring Surf Motel. The motel is filled with senior citizens and they aren’t exactly welcoming to Letty and Maya at first. She knows that the police in New York are looking for her as they investigate her sister’s death but she just wants to lay low and keep her niece safe. She didn’t expect the complication of the owner’s son Joe, who happens to be a local police officer.

I really liked the characters in this book. Letty was such a good person. She took Maya as her sister asked her to do because she wanted to make sure that her niece was safe. Ava, the hotel owner, was incredibly kind to both Letty and Maya and I loved the relationship that developed between them. Joe was more cautious but quickly proved that he was a good guy that could be trusted. I liked the chemistry between Letty and Joe and appreciated the slower-burn romance between them. I thought that the other characters at the motel added a lot to the story as well.

The mystery in this book kept me guessing. I was really curious about what had happened to Letty’s sister, Tanya. There is another element to the story which explored how Tanya was tied to the motel and what happened in her past before joining her sister in New York. The story was rather exciting and there were times that I was really worried about Letty and Maya’s safety.

Kathleen McInerney did a fantastic job with this narration of this book. There was a pretty big cast of characters and she handled all of their voices with a lot of skill. I thought that she added a lot of excitement and emotion into her reading. She had a very pleasant voice and I believe that her narration added to my overall enjoyment of the book.

I would recommend this book to others. I had a great time with this book and found it to be filled with great characters, a wonderful plot, and just enough romance to keep things interesting. I will definitely be reading more of this author’s work in the future.

I received a digital review copy of this book from St. Martin’s Press via NetGalley and I borrowed a copy of the audiobook from my local library. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jul 12, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,288,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible