Talk Radio by Ham Martin

Talk Radio (edition 2021)

by Ham Martin

"Vivien Kindler, on impulse, gets a job hosting a local phone-in radio show. She has an unusual idea: she thinks that all her callers have worth, are interesting, and if they'll just stay on the line and talk with her, everyone else will think so too. The 'regulars' serve up a fun tapestry woven on the sturdy warp of the coastal Maine landscape: a delivery guy who reads Vivien poems written on his route; a lady broken by the long-ago death of a child; a retired, one-legged gardener who once built Navy ships. Others remind her that she is 'from away' and will never belong. Is Vivien's gentle radio counsel really doing anything--or is it all just talk? In Talk Radio, Ham Martin deftly imbeds a surprising story in the live dialogue spoken over the air. Tune in to WNWT, Frost Pound, Maine. This Vivien is surely something special." -- Amazon.com.… (more)
Member:jjmcgaffey
Tags:Fic, FicGen, !ER, __make_cover, _import210225

Work Information

Talk Radio by Ham Martin

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Receved this as an Early Reviewer... as a Mainer, I'm always on the lookout for a good Maine book.

O my... I want more! Shades of Elisabeth Strout, I absolutely loved Vivien! The story finds a suddenly divorced woman, who becomes the unwanted host of a 3-hr daily radio talk show in a small coastal Maine town. With characters that typify Mainers and their outspokeness, dysfunctional families, aging seniors, longstanding secrets, "nosey" yet ultimately all caring individuals, Martin has written a winner. Looking forward to more from Frost Pound! ( )
  Maineac32129 | Apr 19, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed Talk Radio, it was great to have a book written in a unique way. My attention was caught from the very beginning, I was intrigued by the mystery of the main character Vivian and looked forward to the mystery being slowly revealed but I don’t feel the mystery was really solved. I did find it surprising that Vivian could be employed and work as a talk back host without any apparent prior experience. Never the less I enjoyed the development of the story and characters in a small town. ( )
  TinaC1 | Apr 1, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Talk Radio was a wonderful book to read during a time when my life was anything but calm and wonderful. The peaceful and caring interaction of the characters, in the small Maine coastal town, made me wish such a place actually existed. Get out your handkerchiefs for the ending! ( )
  chrisfei | Mar 31, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book actually snuck up on me. Written in a unique style that blends traditional narrative with partial “on air” transcriptions, it is slow to build. Interest in the characters builds at a glacial pace but comes on quite strong at the end. For a book I almost put down, I was glad to finish it. ( )
  lucas20 | Mar 21, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A free copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my thoughts in any way.
I had a hard time with this book. It relied on conversations between Vivian, the new talk radio host and an odd cast of callers to move the story along. There was really not much of a plot, only a premise. Certain parts of the book were entertaining but for most of it I had to force myself to continue. This should not deter anyone from picking up this book. It just wasn’t my thing. ( )
  belladonna624 | Feb 18, 2021 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ham Martin's book Talk Radio was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,625,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible