Survive the Night: A Novel by Riley Sager

Survive the Night: A Novel (edition 2021)

by Riley Sager (Author)

THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER One of New York Times Book Review's "summer reads guaranteed to make your heart thump and your skin crawl"; An Amazon Best of the Month Pick; Named a must-read summer book by The Washington Post, USA Today, Vulture, BuzzFeed, Forbes, Entertainment Weekly, CNN, New York Post, Good Housekeeping, E!, PopSugar, CrimeReads, Thrillist, and BookRiot.  It's November 1991. Nirvana's in the tape deck, George H. W. Bush is in the White House, and movie-obsessed college student Charlie Jordan is in a car with a man who might be a serial killer. Josh Baxter, the man behind the wheel, is a virtual stranger to Charlie. They met at the campus ride board, each looking to share the long drive home to Ohio. Both have good reasons for wanting to get away. For Charlie, it's guilt and grief over the shocking murder of her best friend, who became the third victim of the man known as the Campus Killer. For Josh, it's to help care for his sick father--or so he says.   The longer she sits in the passenger seat, the more Charlie notices there's something suspicious about Josh, from the holes in his story about his father to how he doesn't want her to see inside the trunk. As they travel an empty, twisty highway in the dead of night, an increasingly anxious Charlie begins to think she's sharing a car with the Campus Killer. Is Josh truly dangerous? Or is Charlie's jittery mistrust merely a figment of her movie-fueled imagination?   One thing is certain--Charlie has nowhere to run and no way to call for help. Trapped in a terrifying game of cat and mouse played out on pitch-black roads and in neon-lit parking lots, Charlie knows the only way to win is to survive the night.… (more)
Member:hopecbrewer
Title:Survive the Night: A Novel
Authors:Riley Sager (Author)
Info:Dutton (2021), 336 pages
Collections:didn't like, Wishlist
Rating:*

Work Information

Survive the Night by Riley Sager

Riley Sager does it again! His books always have the best Twists! ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
Around the middle of last year this seemed to be "The Book" that everyone was either anticipating or already reading. (FOMO)Fear of missing out is what sent me to request a review copy. My request was very politely rejected, with a lovely note from the publisher telling me that their remaining review copies were being saved for book sellers or reviewers who write for major publications. I should have let that be the end of it, and we'd all be better off if I had. It's rare that someone declines my offer to read a book and that must be what made me even more determined to read it. This happened to me before where I was declined, requested elsewhere, got the book, and regretted reading it. That should have taught me a lesson. Next time I will take as a sign that the book is just not for me. This book sure was not!

It starts off well enough. There's a killer on the loose. The Campus killer to be exact, who has murdered Charlie's friend Maddy, and left her wracked with guilt because they had been together earlier that evening. Charlie left her alone at the bar, where she was never seen alive again. Charlie, unable to cope, has decided she must leave the university IMMEDIATELY. In fact she can not even wait a couple of days for her boyfriend to drive her. She decides instead to take a ride with a total stranger, who as it turns out may or may not be the murderer. This begins a long and boring car ride broken up by a series of hallucinations that Charlie calls "seeing movies" in her head.

As someone who has a strong dislike for books or movies that suck you in and then say oops that was all just a dream, I find that I am equally disinterested in hallucinations as I am in dream sequences. The long car trip with only two characters, neither of which interested me reminded me of why I didn't like the Jeepers Creepers movie much, although they at least were not hallucinating.

You may enjoy this book more than I did, plenty of people have loved it. ( )
  IreneCole | Jul 27, 2022 |
Charlie has just lost her best friend to a serial killer and she feels immense guilt because they got into a fight & the last time she saw Maddy, she was with an unknown man. Charlie feels the need to flee college and head back home where there are no memories. She is in such a rush to leave that she agrees to share a ride with a stranger named Josh.

During the ride to Ohio, Charlie realizes that there are dangers to being alone with a stranger. She learns that not everything is as it seems and begins to notice discrepancies in what her new friend is telling her. Charlie starts to plan how to get away from this man before he kills her. She also learns that everyone may not be as they appear, no matter your relationship with them.

There are many twists and turns in this story that kept me interested. While Riley Sager has a formula to his stories that can seem predictable I still find his stories highly entertaining and worth the reading time. I look forward to each one and will always be a loyal reader of his work. ( )
  Micareads | Jun 21, 2022 |
After the murder of her best friend and room mate Maddy, Charlie makes the decision to leave the New Jersey college where they studied. It is too painful for her. But since the death of her parents in a car accident Charlie doesn't drive and needs to find a way back to Ohio and grandmother.
She decides to post on a rideshare board so she can get back home.
Her offer is quickly accepted by Josh who just happens to be going her way.
As the road trip progresses, Charlie becomes unsure of Josh and just how little she knows about him. She is also wrestling with "movies in her mind" , a coping mechanism, that she has been experiencing since the death of her parents. What is real and what is imagined. Could she be in a car with the person who murdered Maddy? ( )
  nepatsgrl | May 3, 2022 |
Don’t be a dumbass like me & think, “Everyone else hates this book, I might like it!” Stupid, stupid me. The ending is just awful.

Think of a promising premise that got off to a bad start & kept backfiring for 8 hours. (Audiobook) ( )
  whatalicesaw | Apr 26, 2022 |
Fasten your seat belts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.

—All About Eve
To all those wonderful people out there in the dark
Fade in.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,567,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible