Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English. (original 1948; edition 2005)
by A. S. Hornby
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary by A.S. Hornby (Author) (1948)
No current Talk conversations about this book.
I LOVE my Advanced Learners Dictionary when I hold it I feel like a Professional :3
I found this dictionary rather frustrating, at least for pupils with English as a foreign language. The explanations often used words I didn't know, so I had to read several other entries, until I finally lost track of what I was looking for.
(I've used the 1984 edition at that time, so maybe the dictionary has improved since. Recommendation: try the Collins English Dictionary.)
Very decent for students, though modern dictionaries are more elaborate...
Special Features Include:-
- text completely corrected, revised and updated
- up-to-date vocabulary, including literary and technical English
- practical definitions and usage notes in simple English
- numerous example sentences to illustrate sentence patterns and contexts
- over 100000 items in phonetic transcription, using the latest Jones/Gimson system of International Phonetic Association symbols
- American English spellings, meanings, pronunciation and vocabulary
- fully illustrated with photographs and line drawings, many grouped under topics, with numerous labels
References to this work on external resources.
Wikipedia in English (2)
The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary gives more help and more support than any other dictionary at this level. It focuses on learners' need to understand and use words correctly, and to develop their core language skills.The 8th edition features a new interactive Oxford iWriter and a new 32-page Oxford Writing Tutor, specifically designed to improve writing skills.NEW Oxford iWriter and Oxford Writing Tutor: Teachers and students around the world have told us how difficult it is to write well in English. Now students can learn how to structure their essays, how to write differenttypes of essays and presentations, and how to write formal English.
No library descriptions found.
Amazon Kindle (0 editions)
Audible (0 editions)
CD Audiobook (0 editions)
Project Gutenberg (0 editions)
Google Books — Loading...
Melvil Decimal System (DDC)423 — Language English Dictionaries of standard English
Is this you?
Become a LibraryThing Author.