A Wicked Bargain for the Duke

by Megan Frampton

Series: Hazards of Dukes (3)

I received an ARC of this book to read through Edelweiss+. All opinions are my own. A Wicked Bargain for the Duke is the third book in Megan Frampton’s delightful A Hazard of Dukes Series. Thaddeus Dutton, Duke of Hanford, was caught in a compromising position with Lady Lavinia Capel while ostensibly courting her sister. Feeling like a fish out of water with a dukedom he was never meant to inherit and now a bride who is nothing like the woman he imagined as his duchess, Thaddeus proposes a marriage of convenience, produce an heir, and you can live your own life as will I. One of the things I loved most about this book is that he listens to her, and when she tells him that his bedroom technique is lacking, he set about learning to do better. This was a fun read with a nice balance of humour and angst, and I highly recommend reading it. Steam Level: Medium. Published on April 27, 2021. #AWickedBargainForTheDuke #MeganFrampton #HistoricalRomance #HistoricalRomanceSeries #AvonRomance #HarperCollinsCanada #MyBookPledge #bookstagram #bookstagrammer ( )
  nmgski | Jul 7, 2021 |
3.75 out of 5 stars!

Due to certain circumstances, the hero had inherited his title and is now looking for a wife. The heroine wanted her sister to be happy and tries to block the hero from courting her sibling. The two ended up getting hitched due to a compromising situation. Under this auspicious beginning to their marital life, how will the couple deal with certain expectations and deepening feelings for each other?

Though I had not read any of the previous books in this series, it didn't deter me from enjoying the book. I liked the closeness the heroine is with her siblings and how the hero is close with his friends that he considers as his "family." Even the chapters pertaining to the story within the story weren't a hindrance to the whole story. I also liked the couple together and individually throughout their journey in this book. For my personal preference, I would have ever liked more details for smoother transition in some parts of the book. Overall, it's an enjoyable book and I look forward to reading more of the author's works in the future.

**Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the review copy. All opinions and thoughts in the review are my own.** ( )
  DilowRosas | Apr 26, 2021 |
Frampton is a hit-or-miss author for me, but I think she hit it out of the park with this book. I loved it! I smiled. I giggled. I wanted to give some people a swift kick-in-the-rear. These two delightful characters just won me over from the beginning. We have an uptight, all-that-is-proper, stick-up-his-rear army officer turned duke looking for a quiet (very quiet) biddable wife. Through totally accidental circumstances, he ends up married to a vibrant, talkative, intelligent, hoyden - and he has no clue what to do with her. She also has no problem speaking her mind and freely speaks to him about his inadequacies - as a lover and other things.

Thaddeus Dutton, the new Duke of Hasford, never expected to be a duke and isn’t particularly happy about it. His cousin, Sebastian, Never Kiss a Duke, was supposed to be the duke until a birth irregularity was discovered. Thaddeus wanted Sebastian to remain as the duke, but there was absolutely no way to make that happen. Thaddeus is a military man through and through. He was raised to know a military career was to be his – and he appreciated the discipline of it – knowing what to expect – giving and/or receiving commands and knowing what to expect from that. Now that he’s been the duke for a few months, he’s reached the next item on his list (he makes lots and lots and lots of lists). It is time to find a bride and he has a list of requirements for that bride (of course he does). She must be quiet, biddable, very proper, attractive, and – he’d love it if she was passionate as well. As he attends his first bride-acquiring social event, he sees Lady Jane, daughter of the Earl of Scudamore, and is sure his bride-search is over. How nice – he was only forced to attend one social function before he could focus on his future bride. She is from a very eccentric and scandalous family, but Jane herself is very quiet, very proper, and he’s sure – very biddable. He can overlook the rest. Well, maybe most of the rest – Jane’s sister Lavinia is just beyond the pale. She’s boisterous, hoydenish in both actions and speech, and she has no problems telling him exactly what she thinks. Thank goodness he doesn’t have to marry her!

Lady Lavinia loves life! She’s vivacious. She’s funny. She’s intelligent. She’s an eternal optimist and sees the world and everything in it in bright, vivid, full-spectrum color. She adores her siblings – all of them – the legitimate and the illegitimate – and she’ll do anything to protect them. Especially Jane – because Jane is the one who needs the most protecting. So, when the larger-than-life, large, formidable duke immediately focuses on Jane, Lavinia knows she has to do something. She doesn’t know what she’ll do, but she will do something if he continues to focus on her sister. When his proposal seems imminent, Lavinia pulls him aside to tell him that he cannot propose to her sister and she intends to tell him exactly why – except – well – stuff happens and she ends up married to the duke instead.

All of that happens early on in the book and the remainder of the book is the two of them dancing around each other and their own expectations. He is at a bit of a loss when it comes to dealing with her very forthright comments on every facet of their lives – even the bedroom portions. He does really well though and instead of shutting her down, he listens and often changes course based on her input. They made a terrible bargain on their first day of marriage and that haunts both of them throughout the story.

I absolutely adored both Lavinia and Thaddeus – they were absolutely perfect for each other. He curbed her excesses and she brought out his spontaneity and humor. The ending was delightfully done and I closed the book feeling very happy about their future. Now, I can’t wait to see Jane’s story in Gentleman Seeks Bride

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ( )
  BarbaraRogers | Apr 13, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

To Scott, who made sure I could make my deadlines even while dealing with surgeries, chemotherapy, and radiation (I’m good now!). I love you.
Little did I know, when I woke up that morning, that my life was about to change.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,366,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible