Neon Gods (Dark Olympus Book 1)

by Katee Robert

Series: Dark Olympus (1)

I really REALLY loved this book. Hades and Persephone's characters were amazing. Everything from the beginning to the end was SO GOOD. This is my 1st Katee Robert book, so I'll definitely be checking more of her books out. This has been sitting on my shelf for MONTHS but I'm so glad this impulsive buy was worth it. The steamy scenes we got SO frequently were HOT ASF. I recommend it to anyone. 4.5 stars!! ( )
  Fehime | Oct 24, 2021 |
An author that I like and follow recommended this book, and because the cover and premise were both so gorgeous, I couldn't resist.

However, this book wasn't quite for me -- and it's a "it's not you, it's me" type of thing. I don't typically read erotica (rarely even romance for that matter), so I definitely wasn't the target audience. However, for what it was, I thought it was quite enjoyable. The characters were interesting -- I'm a sucker for a bad boy with a heart of gold and a damsel in distress who actually is a badass and totally in charge of her own destiny -- and well fleshed out (pun intended?). The smut was quite smutty, but the character development and underlying story was also intriguing.

3.5/5 stars, but rounded up because this isn't my typical genre.

Thank you to NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for an advanced copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Allison_Krajewski | Sep 21, 2021 |
Neon Gods: A Scorchingly Hot Modern Retelling of Hades and Persephone starts off the Dark Olympus book series by Katee Robert..

This book is an erotic fantasy retelling of the Greek myth of Hades and Persephone. In this story, Persephone is 24 and somewhat of a celebrity in Olympus. She is one of the daughters of the goddess Demeter and their family is usually making headlines in the tabloids. Persephone’s goal is to finish getting her Masters degree then leave to California for her PhD when she turns 25 in the Spring and her trust fund becomes available. However her mother has other plans and without consulting Persephone she betrotheds her to Zeus.

Rather than marry a man she doesn’t love who has a reputation of disposing of his wives, Persephone runs away and ends up in the lower city section of Olympus which is run by Hades. She meets Hades who helps her go into hiding for three months until the Spring arrives. By Olympus law Hades and Zeus cannot cross into each other’s territories so Persephone should be safe there. During this time the two will make it public knowledge that they’re intimate so Zeus will no longer want Persephone. Hades can exact revenge on his sworn enemy by sleeping with his betrothed and humiliating him.
Of course the chemistry is fire and these two start to wonder if this can be the real thing and not just sex.

Neon Gods was well written and creative and I had fun reading it. Told in alternating chapters by Persephone and Hades you get to see the story from each of their perspectives.

I liked that Hades has a dark edge about him. Persephone is sassy and smart. Much of the interactions between these two are about give and take, about compromise. Neon Gods was well-written, sexy romance with two sassy main characters. I recommend this if you enjoy steamy erotic fantasy.
https://bookwormnai.wordpress.com/2021/09/07/neon-gods-a-scorchingly-hot-modern-... ( )
  bookworm_naida | Sep 7, 2021 |
I just can't read this. I know they both consent to use each other, but it still makes me uncomfortable. I'm just not the right person for this book.

However, the writing is quite good. The author definitely has experience with the craft. The novel never felt like it was dragging. ( )
  Duobond | Aug 31, 2021 |
Romance erotica between Hades and Persephone ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Aug 12, 2021 |

Katee Robertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hampton-Brown, ZaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moorcock, AlexNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Erin and Melody—your podcast has brought me so much joy over the last few years, and I hope Hades's boastful floors give you a little joy in return.
"I really hate these parties."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,586,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible