My Heart Is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham…

My Heart Is a Chainsaw (edition 2021)

by Stephen Graham Jones (Author)

Member:Teezie
Title:My Heart Is a Chainsaw
Authors:Stephen Graham Jones (Author)
Info:Gallery / Saga Press (2021), 416 pages
Collections:Goodreads
Tags:to-read

Work Information

My Heart Is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones

It's been said in a bunch of reviews that this book is a love letter to slasher films. It might be a tad more accurate to say the heart of the book is slasher films. I consider myself a pretty big horror fan but throughout the book I had to stop and look up a slasher film that was referenced. Or look up a name that was mentioned because I knew it was in some horror movie but I didn't know which. My Netflix and Amazon Prime watchlists both had multiple films added to them as a result of MY HEART IS A CHAINSAW.

Jade Daniels is a half-Indian teenager in a small town; she lives with her abusive father and wants nothing more than to be rid of the town. Her one solace is slasher films. Her knowledge and love far surpasses Jamie Kennedy's character in "Scream". Then when blood spills and people start to die, Jade knows exactly how things will go. Or she thinks she does.

Jones does an amazing job with the novel. His love and understanding and passion for slash films comes through from start to end. Jade tells us the rules while the book follows them. And then deviates. Or does it? The meta-feeling of fitting the book into the formula runs throughout the length. Then all that changes and is no longer important because at the very end Jones gives a gut punch that I should have seen coming but was too distracted to see. Something so emotional that I was left stunned. He did the same thing to me when I read THE ONLY GOOD INDIANS. I'm not going to give anything away. You should simply read this book and enjoy! Stephen Graham Jones is an amazing author. ( )
  dagon12 | Nov 9, 2021 |
Just stellar--kept me on the edge of my seat from minute one but really sped up about a third of the way in, going from "oh this is really interesting" to "can't put down." It then did sort of weave in and out from there between the two, but the tension was definitely kept up the whole time. Jade is a fascinating narrator--unreliable enough that I occasionally questioned her judgement but compelling enough that I had to see if and where she was right and what was actually happening.

It's like deeply unpleasant in parts because of the gore but I never felt like I couldn't continue reading, and I'm a pretty huge scaredy cat. The tension was so good, and really intense. I'm excited to see where the next book goes, because the ending on this one felt like it closed up pretty neatly but I am NOT genre-savvy so I need Jade to write an essay for me about sequels! ( )
  aijmiller | Nov 8, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this - but I can see how it could be a little difficult as a physical read. The audiobook was a great way to go for a first read through. This was my first book by this author, but from this book I feel like SGJ is so intentional with his writing and storytelling that I will have to go back and annotate because there was SO MUCH there and I feel like most of it had a reason and that’s why I didn’t mind the “ramble” of Jade. The audio also made it feel more like Jade was telling you a story through the only perspective she knows how to relate to the world - which is through slasher movies. I would classify this as a thinker. I don’t know that I would call it an all time favorite but I do think I will purchase and reread and keep thinking about it for quite a while. ( )
  ToriC90 | Nov 1, 2021 |
This is more than a love letter to slasher flicks. I fell in love with Jade, her character, and her committment to the whole, doomed town of Proofrock.

Indian Lake Trilogy

Next: 'Don't Fear the Reaper' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Oct 19, 2021 |
This is a rather unusual story. A hybrid between a supernatural thriller perhaps and a slasher horror film. Jade, an Indian girl from Proof rock, Idaho is our narrator.Jade’s obsessed with slasher flicks, and knows all there is to know about every one that’s ever been made. Her obsession is so all consuming that she dreams of the day a slasher flick will come to her small town. With the deaths of 2 random Dutch tourists, Jade sees the first signs of a possible slasher fantasy playing out in real life. From there things get wild, and a little bit disorganized. This story seems to want to be 2 things at once and I think it loses the coherence of the story in trying to make the story so broad. The ending was also a little flat. The story is sustainable with Jade as the heroine. As a troubled young girl with a history of trauma she is able to ground this story despite it getting pretty far out there. While this wasn’t a favorite for me it does stand out as very different, and that makes it memorable. Thank you to Netgalley for the copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  hana321 | Oct 18, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,458,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible