The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court by…

The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court (1979)

by Bob Woodward, Scott Armstrong

931None9,347 (3.8)18

My nine part review of three books about the Supreme Court of the United States, exploring its historical and ideological conflicts, and the transformations it wrought upon law and society.

The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court, by Bob Woodward and Scott Armstrong (1979)

The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court, by Jeffrey Toobin (2007)

Scorpions: The Battles and Triumphs of FDR’s Great Supreme Court Justices, by Noah Feldman (2010)

http://driftlessareareview.com/category/mondays-with-the-supremes/ ( )
  kswolff | Apr 2, 2012 |
A good place to start in an investigation of the US Supreme Court. Obviously needs to be brought up to date. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Nov 21, 2011 |
KF8742 .W66 1979 (VJH)
  Farella | Mar 29, 2011 |
Love 'em or hate 'em, Bob Woodward did his homework. Read this book and then look at where we are as a nation today. It's an eye-opener. ( )
  bill_reyn | Jul 23, 2009 |
1700 The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court, by Bob Woodward Scott Armstrong (read 17 Mar 1982) This book came out in 1979 and I knew I would read it. It is journalistic, but has an air of authenticity. It could not be other than based on conversation with people who know. The authors claim to have interviewed more than 170 former law clerks. I am amazed at how much work is done. If I had to write one opinion it seems to me that'd be a big job; is it because I am interrupted so much at the office? I am astounded at all the work that must be necessary to be a Justice. The book should be read beside a set of Supreme Court Reports. The book covers, year by year, 1969 to 1976. I really can't say I was too startled by anything in the book. It takes a very dim view of Warren Burger, as Chief Justice and as intellect, but that doesn't surprise me. It speaks well of Rehnquist as a man, but says the obvious about some of his work. I had no trouble seeing how he distorted precedent in the "states not subject to minimum wage" case when I read it, even though I inclined to agree with it. But the attitude of the book is liberal, and I know if I had been a clerk when I got out of law school I would have been liberal too. I was disturbed by the coarseness exhibited by Justices and clerks, per this book. I am not convinced I could be, or would have been, as blaze about obscenity as the clerks and some Justices were. A very readable and perceptive book, even though not profound. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Nov 13, 2008 |

Bob Woodwardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Armstrong, Scottmain authorall editionsconfirmed
A court which is final and unreviewable needs more careful scrutiny than any other. Unreviewable power is the most likely to self-indulge itself and the least likely to engage in dispassionate self-analysis . . . In a country like ours, no public institution, or the people who operate it, can be above public debate.
Warren E. Burger,
Circuit Court of Appeals Judge, to Ohio Judicial Conference on September 4, 1968 - nine months before being named Chief Justice of the United States
To Katherine Graham, Chairman of the Board, The Washington Post Company, for her unwavering commitment to an independent press and the First Amendment. And to our children, Tali, Thane and Tracey.
The United States Supreme Court, the highest court in the land, is the final forum for appeal in the American judiciary.

The Brethren is the first detailed behind-the-scenes account of the Supreme Court in action. Bob Woodward and Scott Armstrong have pierced its secrecy to give us an unprecedented view of the Chief and Associate Justices -- maneuvering, arguing, politicking, compromising and making decisions that affect every major area of American life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:58 -0400)

Examines the history of the United States Supreme Court, explains how it works, discusses the Chief and Associate Justices from 1969 to the present, and examines many of the Court's cases and decisions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,406,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible