Destroyer (Foreigner series Book 7) by C. J.…

Destroyer (Foreigner series Book 7) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by C. J. Cherryh (Author)

Series: Foreigner (7)

It has been two years since the starship Phoenix left Alpha Station on a rescue mission to a faraway sector of space where over four thousand human spacers were under attack by a hostile alien race. Now, the Phoenix is almost home, having successfully rescued the stranded colonists through the combined negotiating talents of Bren Cameron-brilliant human paidhi to the atevi court, currently representing Tabini-aiji, the atevi ruler-and of Tabini's grandmother llisidi, the aiji-dowager, a fearsome, wily, and ambitious atevi leader in her own right.… (more)
Member:Haraldsdottir
Title:Destroyer (Foreigner series Book 7)
Authors:C. J. Cherryh (Author)
Info:DAW (2006), 372 pages

Work Information

Destroyer by C. J. Cherryh (2005)

English (15)  German (1)  All languages (16)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This book marks the start of the third sub-trilogy of the series and a very welcome return back to the Atevi Homeworld.

Now while I did enjoy the spacetravel and the intrigue with the new aliens and the mess with the other space-station, I really love the fact that we're returning to where my love of the series began.

We left with the world practically unified under Tabini, but when Bren returns to the system only to find that supplies from the world aren't getting to the space station and the main continent is in turmoil and Tabini is presumed dead, grandmother Ilisidi and Tabini's young son and Bren go harrowing off to find support in the mainland or at least some word as to Tabini's fate.

The Atevi can't lose space! Not like this! No!!!

This one is full of politics and poor Bren still trying to figure out the deep fundamental differences between the Atevi and the Human mindsets, becoming a mystery much greater than that and a full-out action novel later, still.

God, I love this series. It really has everything. Characters we're deeply invested in, absolutely gorgeous worldbuilding, and truly fantastic stories that are both very grounded and intricate.

This series is still going strong 10 books after this, too!!! :) I can't wait to get to them!
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Glad to get back into this series, but this volume really didn't have much happening in it. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
Book seven in Cherryh's Foreigner series -- or the first book in the third Foreigner trilogy, if you prefer to number things that way -- about a population of humans sharing a planet with an alien species called the atevi. In this one, our protagonist, Bren Cameron, returns from a long voyage to discover that things have changed significantly while he was gone.

It's a good, solid entry in the series. Unlike some of them, it gets going pretty quickly, with some fairly exciting things happening right from the beginning. As usual with this series, the story takes its time from there, but it features some interestingly complex political situations and a bit of action by the end, and it left me very interested to see what was going to happen next. (Although not until I've had a little bit of a break, because too much of Cherryh's writing all at once makes my brain tired. Not as tired as the people in her books usually are, admittedly. But still.) And I'm also rather pleased by the fact that, even seven books in, we're still getting some interesting insights into the atevi and the way their minds work. ( )
  bragan | Apr 26, 2016 |

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Drate, Stanley S.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, Daniel ThomasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan,MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Spider plants had taken over the cabin, cascading sheets of spider plants growing from pots improvised from sealed sections of plastic pipe arranged in racks around the ceiling of every wall.

It has been two years since the starship Phoenix left Alpha Station on a rescue mission where over four thousand human spacers were under attack by a hostile alien race. Now, exhausted from their journey, the crew of the Phoenix yearns for home. But when the ship makes the jump into atevi space, they learn the worst: that supplies to the station have been cut off; that civil war has broken out on the atevi mainland; that the powerful Western Association has been overthrown; and that Tabini-aiji, Bren Cameron's primary supporter and Ilisidi's grandson and ally, is missing and may be dead.

With no one left to lead the Western Association, Ilisidi and Bren know that the survival of their allies lies in their hands. And with the atevi world at war, the only safe landing strip lies on the human colony at Mospheira. Although there are many dangers inherent in bringing a powerful atevi leader such as Ilisidi onto human lands, Bren realizes they have no other choice. But even if they safely survive their landing, will Bren and Ilisidi together prove strong enough to muster the remaining shards of the Western Association and regain control of their planet?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,459,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible