An Edward Lear Alphabet by Edward Lear

An Edward Lear Alphabet

by Edward Lear, Edward Lear

1961189,223 (3.66)2

English (10)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
This book writes a short senseless poem about something starting with each letter of the alphabet. Many of the things chosen to be written about are not the typical objects that students learn to correspond with letters. For example, "U" is for "urn" and "Z" is for "zinc." Every poem follows the exact same pattern which is essentially, "There once was a little 'cat' catty watty tatty batty fatty catty little cat." I think that the students could find these poems catchy and it may help them remember letter sounds. However, due to this format on every page, I find this book to be a little too repetitive. I guess that it is fun that the poems sound like they were made up by a two year old, but I really do not think this book could evoke very significant learning. If I were teaching this book I would minimize the learning of the "poetry" and focus on the pattern of the words when students are learning about patterns in any subject. Overall, I believe there are better books to read for the purpose of poetry. ( )
  amoore1 | Nov 17, 2012 |
Summary:
This book is about the alphabet from A-Z. Each letter has a funny rhyme to it. For example:

F was once a little Fish
Fishy
Wishy
Squishy
Fishy
In a dishy
Little fish

V was once a little vine
Viny
Winy
Twiny
Viny
Twisty twiny
Little Vine

Personal Reaction:
This book is a really neat way to teach the alphabet. The rhyming is very silly and catchy. The illustrations are great and cover the pages.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. This book could be used to teach children their alphabet.
2. This book could be used in a rhyming lesson. ( )
  JeraSullivan | Mar 18, 2012 |
Summary;
This book is a collection of poetry following all the letters of the alphabet. Each poem starts with a letter of the alphabet in order. The first poem starts with a representing an apple pie. The last poem starts with a z representing a piece of zinc.

Personal Reaction;
I loved this collection of poetry. I would love to read this book to a class full of pre school or kindergarten students. This is a very fun book!

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I would read this book aloud to my class and have them recite the alphabet as I turned each page.

2. I would read this book to my class then have the students draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. The class would then draw a picture of something starting with the letter they drew from the hat just as in the book. ( )
  haygirl7 | Oct 10, 2011 |
Based on Edward Lear from 1871.
  aadkins | Jul 29, 2011 |
Summary:
This is a very good alphabet book. Each letter has a word and under each word are more words that rhyme with that word.

Personal Reaction:
This was a very good book and I really enjoyed it.

Classroom extentions:
1. Have the children make there own alphabet poems.
2. Have the children rhyme word with words the teacher comes up with.
  MollyWalker | Mar 20, 2011 |

Edward Learprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lear, Edwardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Newsom, CarolIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Radunsky, VladimirIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060281138, Hardcover)

An Edward Lear Alphabet was first published in 1871, illustrated with the King of Nonsense's own incongruously matter-of-fact pen-and-ink sketches. Evidently Lear composed this rhyming alphabet for some children he befriended in a hotel, leaving a poem a day on the family's breakfast table. "A was once an apple pie, / Pidy / Widy / Tidy / Pidy / Nice insidy / Apple pie," he begins jauntily. Kids will love repeating the verses out loud--"E was once a little eel, / Eely / Weely / Peely / Eely / Twirly tweely / Little eel"--particularly early readers just learning to sound out words. Vladimir Radunsky's modern, explosively colorful, rather Monty Python-like collages (reminiscent of Yucka Drucka Droni) complement Lear's simple verse remarkably well, considering the century-long leap in style and attitude. These bold illustrations, many of which conjure a bald, bearded, bespectacled Lear, make the whimsical poet's verse all the more accessible. Readers who adore Lear and his joyful frivolity should also investigate the 1846 classic A Book of Nonsense, a rollicking, ridiculous poetic romp that no child or adult should be without. (Ages 3 to 6) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

Pictures and nonsense verses introduce the letters of the alphabet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,226,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible