Fate Broken

by B.P. Donigan

214,412,704 (2)None
Recently added bypmmuhammad, EarlyReviewers

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fate Broken, B.P. Donigan, Red Adept Publishing, LLC (2021, 368 pps.)
Reviewed by: Patricia M. Muhammad
Date: March 15, 2021

The fiction genre of magical realism delves into what those who live in the ordinary and familiar world are able to wield by esoteric forces. In Fate Broken, the beings from a mythical world integrate themselves into the lives of human beings. I understand that this is a sequel to a book that I have never read, however the the text does not begin with any background narrative. Conversations between those beings who obviously consider themselves more witty and intelligent than their human counterparts are ironically unable to maintain a flow of dialogue. The reader may easily become disinterested in the main characters, some of whom argue that they have made themselves present to benefit the very beings whom they look down upon. Throughout the text there is a consistent pattern in the story—a lack of transition. The scenes 'jump' from one to another, leaving the reader to accept that they will sometimes not understand what is presented before them to supposedly enjoy. There are no narrative insights into any of the main characters' personalities or a reminder of their origins. The book is primarily extensive dialogue characterized by one sentence interactions.

This is not a magical realism story for those who are accustomed to a hint of science-fiction fantasy whimsy, nor is it thought provoking. It is a story primarily of speech, some of it of cursing. The mainstay of other portions of dialogue is that humans are belittled worthless creatures in which those of another creation can easily take their form. One can only assume that the primary premise is only to mock humans while negotiating their fate against those of real magic or gods.

I was unable to complete this novel though on more than one occasion I forced myself to return to it. This and some other books are being placed in the genre of magical realism and fantasy, yet they do not really focus on the esoteric. There is an occasion or two in which an author may have a character exude the might of forces under their control, but this is the sum of their incorporation of magic into the plot. Magical realism is characterized by seemingly ordinary people in our world within a normal environment, yet they are able to perform unusual or extraordinary feats. It is here that the plot is based upon or easily interwoven with the primary conflict. This novel seems to be more focused on using swear words for shock value, which does not equate to an aptitude of entertainment. It also heavily relies on dialogue that does not invite the reader to experience events which are unfolding before them. I had no desire to complete the book. Fate Broken was simply a book not for me. ( )
  pmmuhammad | Mar 15, 2021 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

B.P. Donigan's book Fate Broken was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,292,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible