dismiss

Ask a Mexican by Gustavo Arellano

Ask a Mexican (edition 2008)

by Gustavo Arellano

An irreverent, hilarious, and informative look at Mexican American culture is taken by a rising star in the alternative media, as well as a new kid on the block in such mainstream venues as NPR, the Los Angeles Times, Today, and The Colbert Report. Gustavo Arellano has compiled the best questions about Mexican Americans from readers of his Ask a Mexican! column in California's OC Weekly and uses them to explore the cliches of lowriders, busboys, and housekeepers; drunks and scoundrels; heroes and celebrities; and most important, millions upon millions of law-abiding, patriotic American citizens and their illegal-immigrant cousins who represent some $600 billion in economic power.… (more)
Member:mfigroid
Title:Ask a Mexican
Authors:Gustavo Arellano
Info:Scribner (2008), Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Read in 2012, Autographed Copy

Ask a Mexican by Gustavo Arellano

¡Ask a Mexican! – Gustavo Arellano
2**

This is a collection of columns written by Arellano in California’s OC Weekly news magazine. It was originally suggested by his editor, and Arellano had been answering his “Why do Mexicans…..?” questions for five years. He didn’t mind being the source of cultural information, and figured “why not?” so the column was born. It’s become wildly popular and has now been syndicated in several other newspapers across the country.

Like most such satirical / humorous columns, they are best taken once a week. Reading all of them at once was a bit much. Yes, he does impart some history of Mexico and Mexican culture, and even I (the daughter and granddaughter of Mexican immigrants) learned a few curse words. However, on the whole I was bored and didn’t find his “humor” very funny. I did like the descriptions of food … especially how his mother would buy three kinds of tripa for her menudo (same as my Aunt Pepa).

And, why can’t Goodreads and LibraryThing manage to include the appropriate punctuation in the official title? ( )
  BookConcierge | Sep 10, 2016 |
Great way to research slang language for your novel with a Hispanic cast.. pinche cabrone will not show up in Google translate! ( )
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
I've mucho ambivalence. Had I checked out the book or the online column, I probably wouldn't have lasted half as long as a finishing of this repetitive, sophomoric, 7 (7!) CD audiobook. I've some suggestions. Eliminate, the chapter on sexuality (I mean sex). I can only assume it has zero relevance about Mexicans. Double the length of the chapter on music. Cut the book in half by reducing the number of insults towards Guatemalans, to say, 200. ( )
1 vote Sandydog1 | Jul 10, 2014 |
¡No contaban con mi astucia!
("They didn't count on my astuteness!")
El Chapulín Colorado (The Red Grasshopper)
To my parents: Papi, who proved you can an illegal immigrant
and still make something of yourself in this great land,
and Mami, who taught me the alphabet as a toddler despite
not knowing English. Los amo.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,653,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible